DAAD Applicants for 2016-17

Horb

I'm planning on applying (again) for a graduate DAAD award. I'm not sure yet what I'll apply for (university summer grant or intensive language grant) but thought I would see if others are applying. 

Applied for the language intensive program. Status has changed to "selection made", but after I read the past few year's threads on the "selection made" debacles I'm not terribly confident. We were told to expect a reply in late November regardless.

Hey guys, since you're already speaking about applying. I have a question.

For those who want to apply for a Master Degree, deadline is 4 of November. However before that, one needs to receive an approval from the chosen university. Usually you can apply for winter or summer semester. I want to apply for a summer one, yet the University is till accepting the applications for the winter semester. How should I proceed?

Also, should I apply for the student visa before I got accepted by Daad or should I begin the preparations after I receive the confirmation?

I will appreciate your help.

Hi Stitch,

Usually with these scholarships, you provide proof of acceptance once awarded the grant, so check for the language regarding that. For visas, see how long it takes to get one (check the government website). If it takes 1 year, apply for it now. It if usually takes 6 months and you'll have that amount of time once you are told you got the grant, you could wait (and save yourself the expense of getting a visa until you know you'll use it).

So basically I can submit the DAAD application and after that I can submit them to the chosen Universities?

Jeez, is it me or is this all kind of confusing? lol

I just wanted to apply for summer semester and "the portal" for it is not open yet, as deadline in in January or March while for DAAD it is in November.

Combining work and all those procedures is not easy.

Double check with the DAAD contact (they are super friendly) but usually yes. You fill out that DAAD app in November and apply for the school later (during their open application period). It is confusing, but you usually can apply after you've been given the DAAD so at least you don't have to waste all your time doing two apps at once (this is what a friend of mine who won it did).

I unfortunately don't know the answer to that one :( Usually when I've done DAAD grants they didn't yet have the portal installed so everything was snail-mailed in.

No worries! You are a lot of help, Horb :)

I was just discussing my recommendation letter with my teacher. I have to present 2 letters of recommendation right? I suppose it shouldn't be hand-written. It has to be certified by my University, right?

It all depends on the grant. Usually it is 2-3 copies of each required letter and it should be typed on university letterhead. There are more details on the relevant websites.

Hey I wanted to ask what's with this question?

How would you assess the preparation, feasibility, relevance and schedule of the project in question?

I mean I want to apply for Master Degree, should I write any plans. I do not remember it was mentioned anywhere.

How feasible is it for you to finish the MA program during the grant duration? If it is a 2 year and your grant is for one year, how will you find the last year? How are you prepared to enter your MA program? Do you have relevant coursework or research experience? 

Your project is an MA degree; how will you address these questions in connection to the MA program?

Is anyone else having a hard time filling out the application form? My list of problems include: it asking if I go by Mr. or Mrs. despite having put down "single" under married status and giving me no Ms. option ; Asking for my "secondary school" which I assume is high school but also asking the "result" other than me graduating ; asking for the feasibility of my intended project on the letter of rec form despite my not applying for a project grant ; asking to list all scholarships for the current period and past periods, and not stating if it means ones only relevant to this grant app or if it means any grant I've ever won ; and in general it asking for my "subject area" and not specifying if I should be putting down the one I'm applying for or the one I'm currently in (i.e. applying for a language grant, but I study critical theory).

They certainly did not make this easier.

Hey Horb, actually that it is. I won't call myself the most attentive person in the world, however I have read everything for a couple of times, but as you mentioned I am not applying for a research  grant.

Also I have read somewhere that it is not necessary to follow the instruction from this exact sample, and teacher can write something similar. I think that way it will be easier.

Edited by Stitch :D

Oh yes, and one more thing, is the call application for DAAD open once in a year? I mean an University accepts application for winter or summer semester. And DAAD is open just  once, 4th of November

I believe for most grants there is a once a year deadline. For research grants, depending on length of intended grant, I believe there may be different deadlines. however, my knowledge only extends to the US to Germany grants.

It depends on what you're applying for and your country of origin. For instance, for study or projects, a US citizen could apply for a Fulbright grant to Germany. Other than that, it is usually only DAAD based grants for Germany.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm also planning to apply for DAAD this year (graduate study scholarship). Unfortunately I didn't get it last year, but here's hoping this round is better. I've already started my Masters in Germany though and am applying to fund my second year - not sure if that's better or worse for my application standing. At least my German language certificate is looking a lot better, haha...

• 3 weeks later...
On October 19, 2015 at 3:15:55 PM, zadigblue said:

Hi all, I'm also planning to apply for DAAD this year (graduate study scholarship). Unfortunately I didn't get it last year, but here's hoping this round is better. I've already started my Masters in Germany though and am applying to fund my second year - not sure if that's better or worse for my application standing. At least my German language certificate is looking a lot better, haha...

How's your application going? I'm applying for the intensive language grant and just need to finish up my essay. I'm a little worried as they didn't mention a page or word limit and so I hope I don't send in too long or too short of an essay. What program are you looking at in Germany?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.  I'm also applying for the intensive language grant.  I agree Horb that the portal is incredibly confusing.  Did you every find out if we needed to use the actual reference form on the portal or if my letter writer can write her recommendation on school letterhead? 

11 hours ago, Heimat Historian said:

Hello.  I'm also applying for the intensive language grant.  I agree Horb that the portal is incredibly confusing.  Did you every find out if we needed to use the actual reference form on the portal or if my letter writer can write her recommendation on school letterhead? 

From my understanding, they have to do the form letter.