Fall 2016 I/O Psychology

Hey, I am a psychology graduate from University of Mumbai, India looking at applying for a few PhD and a few masters programs in I/O psych. Unfortunately, I do not know much about many schools because of which it is difficult for me shortlist. 

Working on learning more about the different programs and my SOP currently. Also, planning to take the GRE next month. 

Looking forward to hear more about everyones application plans (:

I'm starting the application process now! Just took the GRE earlier this month, glad to get it out of the way!

Now I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly which schools to apply to, haha.

So many schools, so little money ;)  What are your research interests?

So many schools, so little money ;)  What are your research interests?

I think I'm mostly interested in selection/measurement and workplace discrimination, but I haven't had much experience with I/O research so I'm definitely open to a lot of topics. How about you?

Edited by sportslapdes

Just took the general GRE but unfortunately didn't do that well (157 or 68th percentile) on Quantitative. Does anyone have an idea of what scores I/O programs prioritize? :S (I'm applying only to schools within Ontario, Canada if that makes any difference).

Hello all

I am also just starting the I/O PhD application process. I was just curious about recommendation letters. I have not been in school for over 6 years now, so I have not been keeping in touch with some of my old professors. .I have been working in international HR. I was wondering if anyone believes that letters of recommendation from my bosses are \ enough, or would I have to get one from a former professor or someone in academia?

I was interested in researching in work happiness, motivation or work efficiency. Just hope to improve working conditions in Asia :)

Hey everyone!

I'm applying this cycle as well. I'm taking the GRE for the first time next week. I'm hoping to do well enough so I don't have to take it again in November. 

How far along are you guys in the application process?

Hey everyone!

I'm applying this cycle as well. I'm taking the GRE for the first time next week. I'm hoping to do well enough so I don't have to take it again in November. 

How far along are you guys in the application process?

Good luck next week! I'm thankfully done with the GRE. In terms of the application process, I've contacted a few faculty, have my letters of recommendation lined up, and am starting my personal statement this week. We'll see how that goes:) 

Good luck next week! I'm thankfully done with the GRE. In terms of the application process, I've contacted a few faculty, have my letters of recommendation lined up, and am starting my personal statement this week. We'll see how that goes:) 

Good luck with all of that! What exactly is the protocol for contacting faculty? And are you doing this for PH.D programs or masters or both?

Hello everyone! I'm an I/O PhD program applicant too! 

I'd love to hear everyone thoughts on the entire application process, but I'm particularly interested in your experiences talking with professors/potential advisers. I've had a large range of different reactions to the emails I've sent which are all pretty similar in content and formality. Does anyone have any tips on how to make initial contact or what questions to ask when talking with them on the phone/email? 

Good luck with all of that! What exactly is the protocol for contacting faculty? And are you doing this for PH.D programs or masters or both?

I'm only applying to PhD programs, so I'm not sure if the protocol is the same for master's programs! I've emailed a few professors who I would want to be potential advisors to express interest in their research, confirm if they are accepting students for this cycle, and mention my own research interests. There isn't a set way to contact people. Try to keep things professional, brief, and make things specific to each person to avoid looking like you just spammed a bunch of people.

I'd love to hear everyone thoughts on the entire application process, but I'm particularly interested in your experiences talking with professors/potential advisers. I've had a large range of different reactions to the emails I've sent which are all pretty similar in content and formality. Does anyone have any tips on how to make initial contact or what questions to ask when talking with them on the phone/email? 

I've gotten a pretty big range too! I had a few people seem excited, a few polite responses, and some that didn't answer. I think a lot of what we hear back depends on the person and timing. 

Is it still important to contact faculty for schools that do not follow a mentor model (where each faculty chooses a student to work with)? For example, I know at Michigan State admission decisions are made collectively by the program faculty.

It probably isn't as important for programs with collective decisions; it won't hurt an application to express interest though. In general, I've gotten the advice from faculty and grad students in my research lab that it's almost always better to show the initiative by contacting someone.

I'm applying to PhD Programs in I/O psychology. I applied to Georgia Tech for entrance Fall 2015 and I didn't get in. I think I just didn't meet expectations. Something that I'm finding is a lot of programs require the Psych GRE (I didn't take this, and the next available GRE test isn't until April). 

It would be great to hear some thoughts on how to approach the school saying you are interested in pursuing study there.

Programs "applying" to:

• George Washington University
  • Clemson University
  • George Mason University
  • Auburn University
  • University of Nebraska - Omaha
  • Saint Louis University
  • Florida Institute of Technology

Not sure about these:

• Georgia Tech (should I reapply with no "real" improvements to my overall application besides SOP?) 
  • Illinois Institute of technology

Stats:

• Major: Psychology, Minor: Sociology
  • GPA; 3.84/4.0
  • Research: Perceptions of Potential Employees (Studying weight discrimination on prospective applicants) - 2 semesters of advanced research courses
  • GRE: 155Q,150V,4.0 AW - (previous: 154Q, 150V, 3.0 AW)
  • 3 years of professional experience (currently, will be at 4 when entry into program) - I do recruiting/marketing for a company

I need to look into some more programs but deadlines are approaching - any thoughts on some good PhD programs that would fit in my stats?

Hello. 

I am a senior interested in applying for a PhD in I/O or OB.

I am a first generation, low-income student and my top priority when choosing schools is to be fully funded. 

But I'm not sure if I have a strong application...I am particularly worried about my GPA and so I am hoping to get high GRE scores to make up for the loss. I would like to know your opinion and I would like to hear your suggestions on which schools to apply (target/safety/reach).

Also, below I listed some schools I was interested in applying. Will I stand a good chance?

Major: Psychology

Minor: Linguistics, Art

Overall GPA: 3.34/4.00

Major GPA: 3.23/4.00

No GRE scores yet... :(

Relevant Experience:

* Independent work- Research in Human Development (under review), submitting abstract and attending conference- (second author) 

* Independent research- Organizational Behavior/Leadership Characteristic meta-analysis - poster presentation

* Psychology & I/N Peer Advisor for Psych Department

* Local Park and Recreation Park Development Project Intern

Research Interests: Leadership, Motivation in the workplace, Positive Affect, 

Programs I'm Interested in: 

• Case Western Reserve University

• DePaul University

• North Carolina State University

• Pennsylvania State University

• Rice University

• Roosevelt University

• Saint Louis University

• Teachers College, Columbia University

• University of Akron

• University of Central Florida

• University of Maryland

• University of Missouri-St Louis

• University of Waterloo

Any feedback is appreciated!

I've looked into a couple of these programs. i'll look into some of the others. i know PhD programs are very competitive. If you get good GRE scores, then I think you will have a good application, but I would have some MS programs on the back burner to be honest. From what I can tell, the average GPA is over a 3.6 with 150-160 GRE scores

/e also good to note that you have a publication and some poster presentation experience - be sure to mention that in your SOP! 

Edited by Infinite544

How many programs is everyone planning on applying to?

I'm probably going to apply to 6 or 7. I'm trying to finalize my selections this week. Which programs are people looking into, and what are all of your interests/stats/research experiences/work like?

I'm applying to PhD Programs in I/O psychology. I applied to Georgia Tech for entrance Fall 2015 and I didn't get in. I think I just didn't meet expectations. Something that I'm finding is a lot of programs require the Psych GRE (I didn't take this, and the next available GRE test isn't until April). 

It would be great to hear some thoughts on how to approach the school saying you are interested in pursuing study there.

Programs "applying" to:

• George Washington University
  • Clemson University
  • Auburn University
  • University of Nebraska - Omaha
  • St Louis University
  • Florida Institute of Technology

Not sure about these:

• Georgia Tech (should I reapply with no "real" improvements to my overall application besides SOP?) 
  • Illinois Institute of technology

Stats:

• Major: Psychology, Minor: Sociology
  • GPA; 3.84/4.0
  • Research: Perceptions of Potential Employees (Studying weight discrimination on prospective applicants) - 2 semesters of advanced research courses
  • GRE: 155Q,150V,4.0 AW - (previous: 154Q, 150V, 3.0 AW)
  • 3 years of professional experience (currently, will be at 4 when entry into program) - I do recruiting/marketing for a company

I need to look into some more programs but deadlines are approaching - any thoughts on some good PhD programs that would fit in my stats?

It sounds like with your stats this round you should be pretty strong. Your work experience, GPA, and research are solid. Maybe don't apply to too many reach schools that have crazy first round GRE cutoffs, but otherwise you should just go for research fit! What do you think held you back the first time you applied?

I'm applying to about 17 programs (15 PhD, 2 Masters) this time around. Last time I only applied to 5, and found out quickly that a lot of this is up to chance. It's partially a numbers game, and how well you fit with the faculty member's research interests really, really matters. Make sure you know that the professor you're applying to work with is taking students. Not everyone posts it on their websites.  Some of the schools with PhD programs have terminal Masters programs that you can be considered for if they don't consider you ready enough for the PhD. I think George Mason does that. Also, if you haven't already done so, it's helpful to look at the SIOP graduate training program search tool.  There were a few schools that I found this time around that I didn't know about before :) 

I know deadlines are still a bit further out, but is anyone starting to feel like they're crunched for time already? I know I sure am! 

Hey! I've had that broad range too. Some profs just send back a polite "I will be accepting students" email, and others seem more excited and ask if I have any questions about the program. With those, I'll send back a few questions that I found from this document. I send out my CV with each email, and last year I had a professor contact me via phone to discuss some of the work I had done. A grad student I talked to also said that depending on the type and popularity of the professor's school and work, they may have a ton of emails from prospective students that they're sorting through, which may explain why not everyone emails back. All of my initial contact is done via email, but if they ask to schedule a call or Skype meeting I most definitely take them up on the offer!