Fall 2016 I/O Psychology

52 minutes ago, I/Ohopeful said:

Has anyone else accepted their offer yet? I don't feel like it's necessarily early, but I accepted an offer at PhD program about a week ago. I'm just anxiously waiting to see who will be in my cohort!

I accepted about 2-3 weeks ago. It was super early, but I only had two options and I was really sure that the one I picked was best for me.

I want to know who'll be joining me as well, but everyone I've spoken to on this forum has chosen another school! Instead I'm just looking for apartments and frantically hoping that my boyfriend gets into the same school. He'll find out in a week or two, and if not I'll be super sad. But some profs want him, so he has a good chance.

Will you be moving to go to this school?

42 minutes ago, Ashley Lee said:

I've got acceptance from Baruch on February 25th.

Has anyone heard back from Georgia Institute of Technology?

Congratulations! When did you apply?

8 minutes ago, eternallyephemeral said:

I accepted about 2-3 weeks ago. It was super early, but I only had two options and I was really sure that the one I picked was best for me.

I want to know who'll be joining me as well, but everyone I've spoken to on this forum has chosen another school! Instead I'm just looking for apartments and frantically hoping that my boyfriend gets into the same school. He'll find out in a week or two, and if not I'll be super sad. But some profs want him, so he has a good chance.

Will you be moving to go to this school?

I'll be moving about 12 hours away! I'd like to get started on housing stuff as soon as I can. I know April 15th is right around the corner, but I just want to know!.

15 minutes ago, I/Ohopeful said:

I'll be moving about 12 hours away! I'd like to get started on housing stuff as soon as I can. I know April 15th is right around the corner, but I just want to know!.

Wow! Good luck with the transition! I have a very small move (two hours drive) so it won't be a huge change, which I'm fortunate for.

I know! I'm waiting for my (Canadian) government scholarships to see if I got any, because I really want to figure out what my stipend will be for sure. I have the minimum amount, but whether I get this will determine how much TAing I have to do.

I wish you could do housing stuff this early, where I am you need to wait until two months out. But I've been searching for around a month now! I'm just super overeager I guess.

47 minutes ago, Ashley Lee said:

Thanks! Just before the deadline, end of November:)

Did you apply for the Fall 2016 semester, because I thought the deadline for that was March 15?

Edited by hpgenomix

1 hour ago, MD_io_16 said:

For those who received PhD offers.. we're you given a deadline to make a decision? Is it always April 15?

For all the PhD programs I applied to, the deadline to make a decision was April 15. I think that's the standard.

5 hours ago, hpgenomix said:

Did you apply for the Fall 2016 semester, because I thought the deadline for that was March 15?

Oh, I applied for the doctoral program and the deadline was Dec.1st. Do you apply to masters program?

1 minute ago, Ashley Lee said:

Oh, I applied for the doctoral program and the deadline was Dec.1st. Do you apply to masters program?

Yeah I applied to the M.S. program. I forgot there are different deadlines for different programs.

On March 30, 2016 at 6:01 PM, eternallyephemeral said:

I wish you could do housing stuff this early, where I am you need to wait until two months out. But I've been searching for around a month now! I'm just super overeager I guess.

That would stress me out so much! I was accepted on a Friday, and had a lease signed by the following Friday. I'm so excited to move! Housing in my area is pretty cheap, and my new apartment has a dog park and pool right in the complex. 

2 hours ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

That would stress me out so much! I was accepted on a Friday, and had a lease signed by the following Friday. I'm so excited to move! Housing in my area is pretty cheap, and my new apartment has a dog park and pool right in the complex. 

That's awesome! Do you have a dog?

The place I'm moving is a lot cheaper than where I am now, but still quite a bit of money. But I'll be moving in with my boyfriend (who is still waiting to hear back from his program), so were lucky we can split the cost. We still have to wait for a few reasons, but I'm sure something will be available!

16 hours ago, hpgenomix said:

Yeah I applied to the M.S. program. I forgot there are different deadlines for different programs.

:) Yeah I wish you all the best of luck!

2 hours ago, eternallyephemeral said:

That's awesome! Do you have a dog?

The place I'm moving is a lot cheaper than where I am now, but still quite a bit of money. But I'll be moving in with my boyfriend (who is still waiting to hear back from his program), so were lucky we can split the cost. We still have to wait for a few reasons, but I'm sure something will be available!

That's nice that you can move in together. I'm actually moving away from my spouse (so we're doing a long distance marriage. hah.) and I'll definitely miss having someone around at home. 

And yep! A dog and two cats that are coming along :) My own little zoo. 

1 minute ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

That's nice that you can move in together. I'm actually moving away from my spouse (so we're doing a long distance marriage. hah.) and I'll definitely miss having someone around at home. 

And yep! A dog and two cats that are coming along :) My own little zoo. 

I'm sorry to hear that you two will be moving apart, it can be difficult but I'm sure you will make it work out. We're only still dating (our two year anniversary is today!) so at this stage, it would be really challenging for the relationship if we were long distance, I think. Not that it's easy for anyone else!

That's adorable! I'm sure they will help lessen your stress. We're thinking of getting a cat once we're settled and have moved in.

GUYSSS I need help!!!

Where should I go? MA program in George Mason, which it ranked so high. But no funding. Or possibly UNC Charlotte PhD in Organizational Science?

Let me know what you think?

On 4/2/2016 at 4:54 PM, hujudy1226 said:

GUYSSS I need help!!!

Where should I go? MA program in George Mason, which it ranked so high. But no funding. Or possibly UNC Charlotte PhD in Organizational Science?

Let me know what you think?

I think that really depends on your ultimate career goals. You have to really look at your funding. Are you willing to go into debt for a Masters vs a PhD (assuming that it is at least some funding if not fully funded PhD). I was accepted into the Masters program at GW, but I will be denying because of the funding, unless I somehow win the lottery in the next 2 weeks

As a current student at BGSU I wanted to check in and see if I could help anyone out. To everyone who applied to BGSU and hasn't heard back yet: email Dr. Matthews! He'll tell you what your status is

What do you guys think about emailing someone at the graduate school to ask for an update on the application process? 

I met the graduate director at a graduate school fair and have emailed back and forth when asking certain questions about the program.

Submitted my applicaition March 15th so last minute.

Edited by hpgenomix

Just now, hpgenomix said:

What do you guys think about emailing someone at the graduate school to ask for an update on the application process? 

I met the graduate director at a graduate school fair and have emailed back and forth when asking certain questions about the program.

Submitted my applicaition March 15th so last minute.

When is the deadline? Is it a Masters program? Are you waiting for other responses or are you expecting any offers to come up soon?

I would think about the answers to these questions before contacting, as it's only been two weeks since March 15th.

Finally received notifications from all of my schools.  Got rejected from SFSU, waitlisted at SJSU and accepted into CSU San Bernardino.

I'm debating on whether or not I should risk it and wait for SJSU because I would much rather go there or just accept CSUSB.  Does anyone know if the program at CSUSB is any good?

2 hours ago, eternallyephemeral said:

When is the deadline? Is it a Masters program? Are you waiting for other responses or are you expecting any offers to come up soon?

I would think about the answers to these questions before contacting, as it's only been two weeks since March 15th.

The deadline was March 15th. It is a Masters program in I/O Psych at Baruch and this is the only place I have not heard from. My only other school rejected me, so this is my last hope.

The deadline was March 15th. It is a Masters program in I/O Psych at Baruch and this is the only place I have not heard from. My only other school rejected me, so this is my last hope.

I know you may feel really desperate right now, but I would wait a bit longer. A lot of my applications were only looked at two months after the submission deadline. Now, I don't believe that your program will work that way, given that the deadline is in March and not December, but committees definitely haven't made their decisions yet if they only received the applications March 15th. Very often, they only look at the applications after the deadline and after they have checked that everything is complete. They might not even have finished that step yet!

Are there any other things that are happening in your life where you need the deadline (for example, moving, giving notice on a lease, student loans, etc)? Because if there's something like that going on, I would wait maybe 1-2 weeks. If not, I would wait 3-4 and I expect by then, they will notify you. If not, in my opinion that's a more reasonable time to contact the school.

I can understand how you feel, though. My bf was rejected from all the schools he applied to, and he applied to a masters program very late (sometime in March). It's an emotional rollercoaster, but it's important to give them at least some time.

1 hour ago, eternallyephemeral said:

I know you may feel really desperate right now, but I would wait a bit longer. A lot of my applications were only looked at two months after the submission deadline. Now, I don't believe that your program will work that way, given that the deadline is in March and not December, but committees definitely haven't made their decisions yet if they only received the applications March 15th. Very often, they only look at the applications after the deadline and after they have checked that everything is complete. They might not even have finished that step yet!

Are there any other things that are happening in your life where you need the deadline (for example, moving, giving notice on a lease, student loans, etc)? Because if there's something like that going on, I would wait maybe 1-2 weeks. If not, I would wait 3-4 and I expect by then, they will notify you. If not, in my opinion that's a more reasonable time to contact the school.

I can understand how you feel, though. My bf was rejected from all the schools he applied to, and he applied to a masters program very late (sometime in March). It's an emotional rollercoaster, but it's important to give them at least some time.

Thank you so much for the support. You're right, it would be more seemly to wait and give the committee a chance to review the applications. I got caught up in the whirlwind of acceptances and rejections, and lost track of my own situation. As for whether there is anything going on in my life, I would like to know as soon as possible because if I am accepted then I will graduate this year, but if I am not accepted then I can choose to graduate next year with a B.A. and a M.A. in applied behavioral psychology which is a bit far off from I/O psychology. 

Thank you so much for the support. You're right, it would be more seemly to wait and give the committee a chance to review the applications. I got caught up in the whirlwind of acceptances and rejections, and lost track of my own situation. As for whether there is anything going on in my life, I would like to know as soon as possible because if I am accepted then I will graduate this year, but if I am not accepted then I can choose to graduate next year with a B.A. and a M.A. in applied behavioral psychology which is a bit far off from I/O psychology. 

You're very welcome! It's easy to get caught up, and I don't blame you for that.

Is there a deadline by which you have to decide if you're graduating? I know for my school it was back in December, if I remember correctly. They're now sending us all of this information about the date, time, hat and gown rentals, tickets, etc.

Maybe in a few weeks you could just let them know about this deadline?