Questions about MA SOP?

(applying for non-terminal M.A. programs in English Lit)

I've gotten a lot of advice about being very specific in one's SOP about intended projects.  However, part of the reason I'm applying to MA programs instead of directly to Ph.D.'s is because I feel that I need to formulate specific research interests a bit more coherently before I move on.  So, how specific should I be (or am I expected to be) in this SOP?  Am I expected to all but outline my thesis?  Anyone (particularly in English) wish to share how they tackled their MA SOP?

Hi!

I don't have any good advice for you because I am working on a very similar type of SOP,  but I can tell you what a few professors have recommended to me.  The feedback that I've been getting is to outline a general interest -- but one that is specific enough that you can say why a particular program interests you.  That advice might not be very helpful since I'm looking into MA programs in anthropology.  Essentially, everyone has assured me that not having a thesis topic outlined is totally fine (normal, even!), but what they do want to see is that you have a general direction and some concrete ideas you want to explore.

I'm sorry I'm not someone who can speak from the experience of being accepted, just from a fellow sufferer! 

Hi!

I don't have any good advice for you because I am working on a very similar type of SOP,  but I can tell you what a few professors have recommended to me.  The feedback that I've been getting is to outline a general interest -- but one that is specific enough that you can say why a particular program interests you.  That advice might not be very helpful since I'm looking into MA programs in anthropology.  Essentially, everyone has assured me that not having a thesis topic outlined is totally fine (normal, even!), but what they do want to see is that you have a general direction and some concrete ideas you want to explore.

I'm sorry I'm not someone who can speak from the experience of being accepted, just from a fellow sufferer! 

No that's great.  That's kind of what I've been doing (or trying to do?).  Thanks for your help.

When I applied to MAs, my professor told me to show I know what grad school in my field meant. It's not about having a specific topic, although a specific area of interest (mine was modern U.S. History, so very broad) is good. I would emphasize any research experience you had as an undergrad (just to show you know what research looks like and know that it's a huge part of grad school), some methodologies you're interested in or have experience with and any upper division capstone type course you took (for my field, I talked about how I took two capstone historiography courses and books I read in those classes that helped me find my general area of interest). You could mention you want to get an MA to hone your interests and gain skills that'll help you in a PhD program later on.

Like the above poster, I recommend focusing on fit with the program (something I didn't do, so I'm very lucky I even got into my MA program). Think about professors who interest you, centers/library materials/resources you could use, etc.

Good luck!