A useful paper about biomedical sciences careers

notsaxophones

Hi everyone,

I am a first year graduate student in a Molecular and Cellular biology program, and recently went to a talk by an author on the paper I have linked below. This paper details the state of biomedical sciences research in the US and discusses, and really made me think about trying to use my time as a graduate student to figure out what careers other than academia are feasible, and how I might eventually accomplish one of those careers. Many of us in my first year program agreed that this is good information to know, so I figured I would share it here.

I'm not trying to scare anyone - but I feel like even though I had a fuzzy idea of what was going on with bio/biomedical careers when I applied to grad school, that this has helped me really get a grasp on the reality of the situation. The speaker just happened to bring up a good point that when you are considering grad programs, that we should see what their strengths are other than just producing students to go on to do postdocs and academia. 

http://www.pnas.org/content/111/16/5773.full.pdf

Good luck on all of your applications!

Notsaxophones

Thanks for sharing.

I thoroughly enjoyed the paper and found some of the suggestions rather refreshing; paying post-docs scientist-level compensation to balance the system is a nice idea that has been tossed about for a little while now. Hopefully by the time I'm finished with my doctorate there will be some bigger strides towards these types of solutions.

It's really a pity that what I love happens to be a biomedical science. Oh well, I guess I prefer the devil I know.

... paying post-docs scientist-level compensation to balance the system is a nice idea that has been tossed about for a little while now. 

Wouldn't this increase the supply?  

My alma matar has a forensic science graduate program with options to focus on cyber, chemical, or biological forensics.  They also publish there own magazine.  In one issue, the State's medical examiner was featured and when asked about how one becomes an ME, the response was that the role is self-selecting; that if you had the stamina for the schooling (undergrad + med school), residency (3 - 5 years), 1 year of forensics training, and another year or two spent in other trainings/education, and could stomach the "grossness", then you are likely apt for the job.  It's not a weed-out process or a competition but yet something that does balance itself out.  

I believe it is simply hard to quantify if there truly is too much supply and not enough demand as many jobs for scientists fall outside of the typical areas of employment.  For example, construction companies hire ecologists/biologists to help research and develop impact studies.  But how many biologists are going to think to look for employment with a construction agency let alone take them up with an application if they did?  What about an architectural firm into green design?  Perhaps not a place for a lab biologists but still.   Then there is the brewing industry with hop and barely farming, yeast culturing, some bacterial strains and so on.  

Point being that jobs are everywhere.  Only specific jobs (tenured prof, laboratory scientists) may be limited. 

Wouldn't this increase the supply?  

I really don't think that most people get their PhD to become a post-doc; it is only out of lack of "apparent" options/training/effort/economy/etc. (the list is long) that post-doc positions are overwhelmed. Post-docs are certainly an important and healthy transition to certain careers, but have been treated as a stopgap for many who, perhaps, aren't sure what to do with their degree. The article (and I) am of the opinion that higher compensation reduces the lab's ability to staff many poorly-compensated post-docs. This, coupled with a time-limit for post-doctoral work would help reduce the number of post-docs at any given time. 

I am wholly in agreement that there are jobs out there for the PhD. Obviously there is a distinct need for some publicity on the career opportunities for the modern PhD both in society and built into graduate (or as early as undergraduate) programs. I know that I, personally, love the laboratory environment and have long desired to stay in a research capacity whether in academia or industry. As such, never would I ever have envisioned the various opportunities in government, writing, etc had I never done some digging as a prospective grad student. Now that I'm aware of the opportunities, I'm much more able to leverage my years and experiences in grad school to my advantage while job searching.