Physics International Applicant

Hi. I am an applicant from India, currently in final year of a B.Tech Electrical and Electronics Engineering course in a reputed Indian national institute (National Institute of Technology Tiruchirapalli, India). I am plan to apply to physics PhD programs in the US. I have very few courses in physics proper (2 theory+lab courses) and mathematics (4 courses) and a host of physics related engineering courses (for eg, Thermal Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, Solid and Fluid Mechanics, Electron devices etc). I have had two productive research internships, one in math and one in physics, and for the former, I received a prestigious national fellowship. The latter was in condensed matter theory and I am still continuing the work. I hope to get substantially strong recommendation letters. I have scored 930 in PGRE (88th percentile) and 330 in GRE (Verbal: 163 & 92nd percentile, Quant: 167 & 94th percentile, AW 4.5 & 80th percentile). I am not sure if I should apply to a top university given the fact that I have few courses in physics, on paper. My current interest is in Condense matter theory. Should I apply to any of these: Princeton, Stanford, Caltech, Harvard and MIT? Has anyone with a similar non traditional background been admitted to theory in any of these? How can I boost my application?

• 1 month later...