GRE Question

Does anybody know if schools only look at your most recent GRE score, or take the best scores if you have multiple? I am just wondering because one of my quantitative scores was a 147, but on my re-take I did better on my vocab than I did the first time, but my quantitative went down to a 144! :mellow: 

I am a terrible test taker (I have bad test anxiety), so I know my scores are not going to be extremely competitive. Not to use that as an excuse, but I am working on making myself more well-rounded on other aspects of my application. I am just curious if it is possible for schools to combine scores, or if they just look at the most recent! 

Edited by koalalover1

Hey, I fell into the same boat as you during my application process last year. My story is a bit more complicated perhaps. I did my GRE three times. First time my scores came out decent, but I wanted to try again. The second time fell apart completely for me. The final time, my Verbal score went up and my Quant score went down. Ultimately, after all of that, and through advice from my then undergraduate supervisor, I decided to stick with my first set of scores. 

So beyond wasted time, energy, and money I now go around these forums giving people hope and reassurance about their scores haha. When you do your GRE, you have the option of choosing which scores to provide to your schools of interest. It's called ScoreSelect. So rest assured that you can choose how to show your scores. 

Ultimately, how you do on your GRE and how that affects your overall application does depend on your program. Most schools don't tell you how they check your GRE, but consider all other aspects of your application. If the GRE is the only thing holding you back form an otherwise stellar portfolio then you have nothing to worry about! A lot of applicants (myself included once upon a time) consider the GRE the end all of the application. If it was, then a lot of great students won't make the cut. It's only there to supplement whatever else you have. 

Be confident, and make sure you stand out in all other aspects. Good luck! :)

Thanks so much for the responses! I did Score Select for my tests, but I am just concerned mine are too low. I have what I need for myself, but my verbal is one date and my quantitative is the other! Hopefully the schools look at both! :) 

Check out this site, hopefully it will put you at ease!

http://www.powerscore.com/gre/help/multiple_scores.cfm 

Good luck :)

So this website for sure applies to SLP programs, too? That makes me feel so much more relieved! I should probably send schools both of those test scores then? I feel as though a 144 is very low for quant, and I want my 147 to be seen. I just did awful on the verbal section that round, so I had to retake it, and I don't want that bad first score to offset my chances! 

I also am curious if anybody knows this. I took the GRE over the summer and sent scores to CSDCAS schools ( I know CSDCAS does not open until September 17, so I don't even think my scores will be sent). I retook it about a week ago because my verbal score was low, and I did a lot better, but my quantitative went from 147 to a 144. I am wondering if I am able to send my latest scores and another to schools, or am I too late for this?

My quantitative is lower than a lot of ranges for the schools I am applying for (they say 145 on any score is a cut off, and I have a 144 on the score with the best verbal:( ) but on my previous test, my quantitative is a 147! This is just super stressful because I don't want to take the test AGAIN because I have already received the score cut off, but not on the same exam as my best verbal (aka the one that I need to be sending in). I know quantitative is not a big deal compared to verbal, but I would hate to be rejected because of that. My verbal score is right below the average (150) for the schools I am applying to, so I feel like I need to have both scores sent in to even have a chance, because a 144 quant is not good for me, but a 147 is. My writing is above the averages at all the schools I want to apply to (4.5), so I am hoping I will be okay with my resume and grades.  

I also have my back up plan all in line because I know I am on the lower end here, but I am gaining a lot of resume experience this year (this will be the meat of my application...It needs to be though) and my major GPA isn't awful (3.59) undergrad is a 3.5, but I also have four major classes left, and I am currently in undergrad research. I would just hate to not try. I also am looking for schools that are around my range of grades and resume experience. My grades are that low because I did track and field for two years. My last 60 will be a 3.8, if that even helps me...

koala- Why don't you just resend your old GRE scores again to be sure? & I'm pretty sure you can keep on sending in your GRE scores until the deadline. 

jmk - I have no problem doing that. I just wanted to see if people had opinions on it, because if I didn't have to spend extra money to send two sets of scores, I wouldn't. My writing score is a 5.0, verbal 147. I know, my scores are low, but with my given circumstances I'm not gonna retake it. I am bad at testing, and am planning on applying to schools with no GRE cut-off requirements because of it.  I also hope the other aspects of my application balance out the low GRE. I just wasn't sure because the other time I took the test, my verbal was only a 143 (I was not having a good day even going into the exam) but my quant was `147. 

Edited by koalalover1