Is undergrad research necessary for a Masters? (Environmental Management)

Hey everyone,

I’m currently a sophomore thinking about going into natural resource management/environmental policy in the future. I’ve recently joined a lab, but I’m starting to have second thoughts about it because the work I’m doing isn’t very relevant to my major (it has to do with rabbits, and I love rabbits, but still) and because I’m kind of uncertain about my PI, who’s been friendly to me so far but quite the opposite with the rest of the members in the lab. 

My high school had a very robust research program, and I kind of went into college assuming I’d continue what I did in the past. But I’m starting to think I’d rather spend my time elsewhere, especially if sustainability-related campus jobs open up that could give me practical career experience as well as be something I’m interested in pursuing. 

Would it reflect negatively on my applications to places like Yale FES or Michigan if I didn’t have research experience? I feel like that’s such a silly, calculating question to ask but sometimes it feels like the only thing keeping me here…

Thanks in advance! 

Take a look at some of the recent grads of those programs (linkedin?).  Look into their backgrounds.  That may tell you a lot.  I knew of some Yale and Duke environmental folks.  From what I've seen, they can be a mixed bag.  Some have social science backgrounds (no lab research); others are coming from biology (lab experience).  Based upon that, I don't think research is a requisite.  I say go with the option that appeals to you more (either one can be beneficial).  But, definitely do your homework on this.      

What interests you in the area of environmental?

I did my undergrad in engineering and worked in the environmental sector before as an environmental engineering. Mostly dealing with wastewater and clean water, from public policy, engineering design and project management. Accross dams, reservoirs and oceans. I deal with consultants and policy makers. The best professionals tend to come from civil/chemical engineering background with emphasis in environmental. And then they either get their top MBA, MPA or JD. 

Side benefits from having engineering undergrad are people take you more seriously and your starting salary is way higher than those with other undergrads+MPA.

The downside is engineering salary tends to plateau after 10 years, but then again, all other jobs too, unless you're in a revenue generating  role (front office banking or consulting). 

Edited by rheidzan
Typo