ASEAN student interested in a mix of ID & Entrepreneurship: Where to go?

mutiara

Dear All,

I am a super newbie (just sign-up today) in gradcafe, trying to figure out which school to go. I would like to take further studies (Fall 2016) on International Development (MPA/MIA/MA) with a special interest at Econ Dev and (Social) Entrepreneurship. 

My research suggest me to go for SIPA (Management concentration have several courses on entrepreneurship) and Fels (I notice some entrepreneurship/ small business course on their course list). I am also interested at Southeast Asia studies at SAIS. I am still pondering over the school choices. 

I am looking for schools (in the US and Europe) that has relevant courses and great career support for intl student, particularly the ones coming from developing countries since I am planning to come back to Indonesia after studies. I would appreciate any feedback in relations to my profile and school options. 

Regarding my profile,

UG: University of Indonesia (top school in Indonesia), GPA 3.3/4.0, graduated in 2014

Degree: Bachelor of Economics, double major at International Trade & Dev. and Regional Economics

Work experience: 1 year (&present) at JICA, working at a government project on small medium industries development. TA for Macroeconomics during UG for 3 semester. Surveyor on slum area research in Jakarta by foreign academic institution.

Languages: Indonesian (native), Javanese (native, regional language), English (Fluent), Spanish (Beginner, took A1.1 and A1.2 at Instituto Cervantes en Yakarta)

Quant background: Intermediate Macro&Micro, Maths, Stats, Econometrics, Econ Modeling.

Extracurricular activities: Co-founder of two youths organizations (one on education for slum children, one on social enterprise), head of finance dept at campus org., joined several conferences abroad on entrepreneurship (World Business Dialogue, etc) and asian development (HPAIR, etc), presented an economic paper on intl conference for UG student.

GRE: Planning to take on early December, currently enroll at Magoosh. 

TOEFL: October 11th.

LORs: Possibly my professor will ask me to write a draft for him, not sure how to navigate this one. My current employer already agree to give me rec letter as long as I provide the draft. (!)

Funding: full scholarship from government (will hear the result this Dec.)

Career goals: I would like to work on government project/ intl dev. project in Indonesia on small businesses/ entrepreneurship/ business development for a couple of years before opening a social business or establish an NGO to work on these particular areas. 

Edited by mutiara

Apply to Fletcher, SAIS, Princeton Woodrow Wilson School, Georgetown MSFS, and HKS and go to the school that gives you the best funding. Personally, I think Fletcher is far and away your best fit, given your regional and functional interests. If you get full funding from your government, it's up to you.

Unless you're determined to have the Manhattan experience (nothing wrong with that), I wouldn't particularly recommend SIPA. I quite enjoy Columbia University and have attended many classes and events there, but the SIPA program has always come across as something of a degree mill with very little personal touch for students. There are, however, many resources offered there and if you are aggressive enough to take advantage of them going there can be a positive experience. 

Edited by went_away

You may want to also look at UC San Diego's School of Global Policy & Strategy.  They have a Southeast Asia regional option and seem to have strong focus on Indonesia. UCSD has a strong focus on Econ & quant methodology.

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2015, 7:13:57, went_away said:

Apply to Fletcher, SAIS, Princeton Woodrow Wilson School, Georgetown MSFS, and HKS and go to the school that gives you the best funding. Personally, I think Fletcher is far and away your best fit, given your regional and functional interests. If you get full funding from your government, it's up to you.

Unless you're determined to have the Manhattan experience (nothing wrong with that), I wouldn't particularly recommend SIPA. I quite enjoy Columbia University and have attended many classes and events there, but the SIPA program has always come across as something of a degree mill with very little personal touch for students. There are, however, many resources offered there and if you are aggressive enough to take advantage of them going there can be a positive experience. 

Dear went_away

Thank you for your suggestion. Do you think my work experience will sufficient to apply to WWS and HKS? In regards to Fletcher, Is MIB or MALD the program that you think might fit with my background? Any thoughts on Wagner NYU? 

On Columbia note, yes, I heard the same thing from a friend. I personally experience the way they replied my emails and chats on virtual fair as a bit 'cold.' I might have to rethink about it. 

On 10/9/2015, 7:09:10, Kosmosis707 said:

You may want to also look at UC San Diego's School of Global Policy & Strategy.  They have a Southeast Asia regional option and seem to have strong focus on Indonesia. UCSD has a strong focus on Econ & quant methodology.

Thank you, Kosmosis707! I will look into their program.

Edited by mutiara