chances for MS/PhD statistics

zerofighter21

Hi, 

I have been highly considering grad school, and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to assess my chances for ANY statistics program (MS or PhD, prestigious or not).

To tell you about myself:

cumulative GPA 3.85, Ivy League

GRE: (94%) 167Q, (94%) 164V (AWA pending). Should I retake? I took it this week with minimal preparation. Also, I took it a few hours after my advanced microeconomics theory midterm.. In retrospect that was idiotic and is something I should have foreseen, but it costs $50 to reschedule. 

Mathematical Economics Major:

math coursework: graduate level Linear Algebra, 2 semesters of grad level analysis, 3 semesters of calculus, optimization (no complex analysis or ODE/PDE). 

statistics coursework: probability, stochastic processes, inference (total of 5 different classes by graduation)

all other classes are finance/economics classes (with a few gen. eds. sprinkled in between). 

Knowledge of Matlab, R, Python, C++, Java

extracurriculars (not sure how relevant this is): competitive violin (national level), weightlifting, competitive RTS, president of a student run 501c3 nonprofit organization for 2 yrs (~$50k revenues per annum to give idea of size). 

No research experience, all of my summers were spent on finance internships, namely trading and investment banking. (hence MS consideration). 

What are programs I should apply to where I will have a realistic chance? 

I get the distinct feeling that I am absolutely not competitive for any good PhD program simply because my resume is filled with industry experience (and no research experience). I've heard this is a turn off. 

Also, if I do go forward with an MS, and do research with professors at that university, will my chances of being admitted into that university's PhD program be improved as opposed to applying straight out of undergrad? This is probably different depending on the university, but please speak from your experiences personally, where you, or someone you know, has done this.

I know stats is really competitive, so I would like to hear some informed opinions to see whether applications are even worth submitting. Thank you. 

Edited by zerofighter21
typos

I have similar situation as you last year. My personal take on this is that it depends.

I mean if you are looking for a job then a master will be more than enough. I am doing a master now and I found that the PhD courses are difficult to handle unless you have a firm understanding of analysis and statistics. They are highly theoretical and involves high level mathematics. On the other hand, master courses will give you a working knowledge enough for any real world applications. Masters are easier to get into anyway.

As for computing, as long as you have R, you will be fine anywhere.

Edited by Try again
more stuff