2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

GeoDUDE!

Is there anyone here who previously applied to Nebraska? When did you hear from them?

Their application was due on the 15th, so I know they are not making admission decisions yet. I am trying to get a sense of what their timeline typically looks like. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, klippe said:

Is there anyone here who previously applied to Nebraska? When did you hear from them?

Their application was due on the 15th, so I know they are not making admission decisions yet. I am trying to get a sense of what their timeline typically looks like. Thanks.

Haven't applied, but the few results suggest rejects by mid-March and an acceptance was mid-Feb. I find a month to 6 weeks is usually about right at least for first round of things.

9 hours ago, burgundywave said:

@magnetite I had the same issue as you and I just got accepted to their geophysics program so it doesn't matter. I think they do have it, it just doesn't update on their checklist. 

Hi, I just got accepted to the GPS Division with Environmental Science&Engineering option in Caltech. My POI said there would be an Open House on Feb 18&19, but I did not get official guide of the Open House, for things such as the reimbursement of airfare, the lodging and the schedule. Do you have any news? Also I saw you had an interview of Stanford. I am also applying for Stanford ( Earth System Science) and was invited to the Department Visit (on Feb 16) to have a more detailed and in-person interview with POI. Are you also required to have an in-person interview?

Edited by njuhly

So far there's been 3 acceptances for geophysics, 2 for geological sciences and/or geosciences and 1 for geology and a couple of interviews mixed.

Most of them from CalTech

1 hour ago, GeoMex said:

So far there's been 3 acceptances for geophysics, 2 for geological sciences and/or geosciences and 1 for geology and a couple of interviews mixed.

Most of them from CalTech

3 interviews for Earth Systems Science in addition to KAUST giving one acceptance, one rejection and one waitlist as well. 

2 hours ago, CornUltimatum said:

3 interviews for Earth Systems Science in addition to KAUST giving one acceptance, one rejection and one waitlist as well. 

KAUST was for Spring 2016, though, I think (hence the results being posted so early). Same with that UAF result.

Also, just wouldn't it would be great if schools could have webpages like this for updating app statuses? http://isitfridayyet.net

3 hours ago, gelologist said:

KAUST was for Spring 2016, though, I think (hence the results being posted so early). Same with that UAF result.

Also, just wouldn't it would be great if schools could have webpages like this for updating app statuses? http://isitfridayyet.net

Well something more specific would be great, an almost every day would make me crazy

On 1/21/2016 at 9:43 PM, gelologist said:

Haven't applied, but the few results suggest rejects by mid-March and an acceptance was mid-Feb. I find a month to 6 weeks is usually about right at least for first round of things.

Thank you for the response.

Does anyone know anything about Tulsa's geology program? I have a faculty member who has expressed interest in working with me, and their research is a good fit. I don't know much about the program. The application deadline is Feb. 1, so it's a close call but I think I can make it. Any info is greatly appreciated.

On January 21, 2016 at 11:24 PM, klippe said:

I did I didn't hear from them until March 

19 minutes ago, columbia09 said:

UT Austin sent out their fellowship acceptances. 10 total and about 700 people applied for 50 spots. Didn't know grad school was this competitive. Is it because the oil industry is in the crapper ?

That's pretty competitive, but pretty in line with my departments statistics(maybe UT is slightly harder?), though we get less applicants and accept less people. In general, getting into competitive grad school programs in the sciences you are looking at 5-15% acceptance rates. 

14 hours ago, GeoDUDE! said:

That's pretty competitive, but pretty in line with my departments statistics(maybe UT is slightly harder?), though we get less applicants and accept less people. In general, getting into competitive grad school programs in the sciences you are looking at 5-15% acceptance rates. 

It's true this year I applied to work with 11 people there and three already said that they can't accept me because either of the number of people that applied or the fact that they aren't taking any students at all. 

1 hour ago, columbia09 said:

It's true this year I applied to work with 11 people there and three already said that they can't accept me because either of the number of people that applied or the fact that they aren't taking any students at all. 

the other problem could be that you applied to work with 11 people at once place....... 

9 minutes ago, GeoDUDE! said:

the other problem could be that you applied to work with 11 people at once place....... 

No that's not a problem so I'm told. You can even list the whole department if you'd like it all depends on your interests. Mine are very broad so I applied to work with people in different fields of geology

3 hours ago, zerozircon said:

yeah :)

Are there any current UIUC grads who can tell me how it is?

Hey congrats!! :) don't forget to post results on the boards for reference by future generations, and so people can celebrate!

I know I'm late to the party, but I decided to make a profile since I lurk in the Earth Sciences forums all day.  

Undergrad Institution:  University of Washington Seattle
Major(s):  Earth and Space Sciences
Minor(s):  Oceanography
GPA in Major:  3.77
Overall GPA: 3.64
Position in Class: Above average
Type of Student: Domestic female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):  Submitted test scores on left side 
Q: 157 / 155
V:  155 / 156
W:  3.5 / 3.0

Research Experience: 1 year of undergraduate research + poster presentation (both unrelated to graduate school interests).  3 small geology related projects.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 2 large departmental scholarships (separate years)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  TA's assistant for geology and oceanography courses.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:  Several science club memberships, many with leadership roles

Special Bonus Points: female, connections at two schools, one famous recommender 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:  I'm applying to MS programs.  Had a Skype interview with Lehigh in October, and face-to-face meeting at IU in December.  

Applying to Where:

Lehigh University, Structure
Indiana University Bloomington, Structure/metamorphic petrology
University of Texas at Austin, Structure/petrology

I'm very concerned about my GRE scores, letter of intent, and the number of schools I applied to.