Very little volunteer experience???

juj1121

Hi guys, 

I'm in the process of getting my application materials in order and finishing up my personal statements. I feel like I am a pretty strong candidate for MSW programs (school social work concentration), but I have little to no volunteer experiences. My other stats include:

-Will graduate with a BS in Psychology and a minor in Sociology

-3.9 GPA

-Spent the last summer working at an early childhood learning academy

-Interned at The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (similar to NEDA, but on a smaller scale)

-Year-long project where I worked as an advocate for an at-risk teenage girl

-2 years of research experience in a cognitive development lab

-Worked at retirement community for three years

-Teach ballet to children and adults all four years of college

-Leadership positions in two campus organizations

-Still working on getting a third person for a recommendation, by other two are from the professor who runs the cognitive development lab I work at, and the other is co-written by the instructor from the advocacy project and the professor that over sees it

I have done small service projects with my sorority, but I don't have any other volunteer experience. Much of my experience is similar to volunteer opportunities except I was doing it for course credit (research and advocacy) or getting paid for it. I'm getting a little nervous about this!

I am applying to state schools to save some money in the long run. 

Edited by juj1121

You have plenty of human service experience. More than enough, I'd say. In your application, they aren't solely looking for volunteer experience; rather, any human service interactions you've had. From the looks of it, you are a very strong applicant. Just judging from your stats, it wouldn't surprise me if you not only got into all your programs, but also received some scholarships and grants. 

Best of luck to you.