Big Discrepancy Between GRE Verbal & Quant- Red Flag?

Is it going to be a big red flag for grad schools if I scored a 169V but only a 154Q? I focused my prep on the verbal since I knew it was more important for SLP and I'm trying to maintain a 4.0 in my post-bacc coursework. I could re-take the GRE before applications are due, but I'm not sure whether it's a good use of money and study time.

I scored 700 on the SAT-M back in high school so I know that I *COULD* do better with a lot more practice. The question is how important an improved quant score would be to my applications vs. focusing on other areas like post-bacc GPA and volunteering.

Verbal scores tend to run a lot higher than Quant scores for the stats of all of the schools that I've looked at. I haven't taken a real math class in (mumble) 20+ years, and it's been many years longer than that since I studied geometry. My Verbal was 10 points higher than my Quant. 

I wouldn't worry about it. 

Is it going to be a big red flag for grad schools if I scored a 169V but only a 154Q? I focused my prep on the verbal since I knew it was more important for SLP and I'm trying to maintain a 4.0 in my post-bacc coursework. I could re-take the GRE before applications are due, but I'm not sure whether it's a good use of money and study time.

I scored 700 on the SAT-M back in high school so I know that I *COULD* do better with a lot more practice. The question is how important an improved quant score would be to my applications vs. focusing on other areas like post-bacc GPA and volunteering.

I seriously doubt the actual difference between the scores matter.  I believe my school raises an eyebrow at quant scores less then 150 though, so the schools that are really highly ranked might have a higher cut off point.  Are you applying for next fall?  I've forgotten sorry!  If you've narrowed down your list you could just contact the departments and ask their opinion.  I haven't taken math in so long that I have a similar gap - so I'm planning to hit the books hard and focus more on math than verbal before I take the plunge!

I had a 10 point difference (maybe a little more) between my verbal and my quant. Both were lower than your scores, I have a lower post-bac GPA, and I was accepted into grad school. If you check out EdFind, you will find that your scores will be within or above the averages of most schools (unless it has changed drastically in the last 6 months). Unless your writing score ends up being really low, I don't think you need to take the test again.

• 3 months later...
On 10/3/2015 at 6:56 PM, Crimson Wife said:

I think you'd be ok. I don't think the difference between the two numbers matters as long as you're in range overall - and it seems like you will be.