Phd for Arch Anth

While I'm not in grad school yet, from what I've heard from numerous people is that they're not as important.  Most schools will use them as a determination between candidates and as fellowships/assistantships.  So I wouldn't worry too much if it's a low score.  From my understanding, the most important aspects of your applications would be the letter of reference, writing sample (if required), SOP, and to an extent your GPA.  People can explain why they have a poor GPA or a poor GRE.  But it's hard to explain away a horrible reference, writing sample, or SOP.  So just as long as you focus very heavily on those aspects you should be fine.

I personally think 155 is reasonable, especially for anthropology.  From what I've heard by numerous people, including professors, is that verbal is weighed a little more than quantitative.  But I think it might depend on the sub-discipline.  For archaeology and biological, I would think they'd need to be pretty equal because they both deal with a lot more statistics than cultural.  I was told by a POI that the quantitative isn't as important for me since I'm not the best at math, but I'm biological so I think it'd still be pretty important in the end.  From what I've seen, if you get at least 300 combined then you should be fine.  I'm shooting for around 310 if possible...taking it at the end of the month.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my GRE scores - how much do they matter? Can anyone in a top 10 arch program tell me their scores? Just looking to see what the ballpark range is.

At my Cultural Anthro program, I've heard from faculty on the admissions committee that GRE scores do not matter at all. I mean, really, these are anthropologists -- we tend to be very skeptical of standardized measures of 'smartness.' Craft a compelling statement of purpose, emphasize what you can uniquely contribute to the department, play up your life and research skills, make contacts with professors, and hope for the best. 

It really depends on the program. I had a professor at one department tell me that my GRE scores simply were not high enough and that I should not apply unless I could get them much higher. At my first choice program, however, I was told that GRE scores are not very important to the department itself. So, I would ask your POI at each program you plan to apply for.