Taking a semester long math class?

jmk

I am a junior who recently took the GRE and scored very poorly (141) on the quantitative portion. My math skills are at a pre-algebra level. I went up to Algebra II in high school, and took one statistics course in college. I plan to retake the GRE next summer, before I apply to graduate programs in Speech-Language Pathology. I want to get my Q score to a 150. 

My significant other (who has a math/physics backround) recommended that I take a semester-long math class in PreAlgebra or Algebra versus paying to take a Quantitative GRE Prep class due to my lack of foundational skills. 

For my first time taking the GRE, I prepped for 3 months using Magoosh. I scored very highly on the other two sections, so my concern is getting my math score to at least the 50th percentile.

Any thoughts on taking a semester long class? 

You get a lot of other stuff on GRE than Algebra. What about that ? Are you prepared for that ?

If you have taken Magoosh, you must be knowing about certain topics in Quant where your skills need to be polished. Try focussing on syllabus topic wise. 

One big algebra class isn't going to help you a lot. Focus on all the topic of quant and you should be okay.

Dear JMK, 

I feel your pain! 

I just wrote another post comparing Magoosh to the Manhattan prep books for this very reason. Because I honestly don't think Magoosh helps people like us. Sorry to say, although I do use it and find it useful as a refresher to things I learn through Manhattan Prep 8 books (really breaks things down for people like us), Keshwani GRE/GMAT Math fundamentals on Youtube and Khan Foundation. I guess what I am trying to say is it's perhaps not so much you, as much as the resource you've used. Sorry if it doesn't answer your question but I think I agree with BumChiki that just a algebra class is not enough (maybe supplements, definitely all adds up!)

Hi jmk,

If you're not comfortable with the math 'work' that you have to do on the GRE, then you have to hone those skills first (and your GRE skills second). As such, I highly recommend Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org) - it's a free site that makes the learning a bit more fun and 'game-like' (as opposed to the dry, academic approach that most math books take). While that site is vast, you should limit yourself to basic Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry. Once you've put in some time on that work, you should get back to GRE-centric studies. If you find that the current resources you have are not helping to make the task easier, then you might need to invest in some new materials. 

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

My significant other (who has a math/physics backround) recommended that I take a semester-long math class in PreAlgebra or Algebra versus paying to take a Quantitative GRE Prep class due to my lack of foundational skills. 

Any thoughts on taking a semester long class? 

You get a lot of other stuff on GRE than Algebra. What about that ? Are you prepared for that ?

If you have taken Magoosh, you must be knowing about certain topics in Quant where your skills need to be polished. Try focussing on syllabus topic wise. 

One big algebra class isn't going to help you a lot. Focus on all the topic of quant and you should be okay.

Interesting to see two different viewpoints here!

I am also a math/physics background person and I think us math/physics types have a framework of math education that involves first learning foundational skills and then adding on the other stuff. From this perspective, I would say that although the GRE Q tests things other than Algebra, if one is severely lacking in Algebra skills, even the non-Algebra questions will be tough because 1) learning Algebra teaches you the "reasoning" skills to work out all sorts of math problems and 2) even non-Algebra problems will require thinking or computations that a lack of foundational skills might result in mistakes. So, I can understand why jmk's significant other is making this recommendation. 

However, I think us math/physics types tend to place too much value in this style of learning. I think TheBumChikiBum makes a good point that you will need more than Algebra!

Ultimately, I think it should depend on how much time you want to spend on this and what you want to use the knowledge for! 

If you have a lot of time (i.e. time to learn even more things beyond a semester-long algebra class) and if you want to actually deepen your understanding of math and quantitative skills (for example, to prepare for other classes in grad school that involve statistics or something---I don't know what the abbreviations CSD and SPED mean so I don't know what field you're in!) then I think your SO has a good suggestion. You will learn more for your long term quantitative skills through strengthening your foundation first and then taking additional courses (or self-study) later. 

However, if your main goal is to do well on the GRE Q then I don't think your SO's advice is going to be good here. I think courses designed specifically to prep you for the GRE Q will, surprise-surprise, be the best way to prepare for the GRE Q. I know a lot of math/physics types don't like these kinds of courses because they will teach you skills that are useful for the GRE Q but they will usually not teach you the mathematical concepts behind them. This is not ideal because it does make one prone to using the wrong technique or reasoning to the problem, especially if it's a problem you haven't seen before. But, this still might be the best route for you if you just need the skills for the GRE Q and/or if you want to finish this in less than 1 semester. 

I just wanted to point this out because although I don't know you and your significant other, I do know that math/physics background people tend to have a bias towards the learning the foundations approach to mathematical education. However, this might not be the best route for everyone and you should pick what's best for your needs!