ETS Official GRE Scores- Are they actually necessary?

nanokid

Applying for Spring 2016 Admission in Materials Science & Engineering 

All of my graduate applications allowed me to self-report my scores, so I was under the impression that was all that was needed. The application was technically "complete" with the self-report. Applying to a total of 8 schools. I have sent the official report to 4 of my schools (for free after the test), and the others (Georgia Tech, Illinois, Ohio State, Tennessee) don't have them yet. GT and Illinois had their deadlines on Oct. 1 and my application status is "under review"...should I still send them in or did I just make a fatal mistake? 

Thanks 

If they haven't asked for the official scores in the application process, I'd maybe drop the course admin person an email/phone call to see if they do want the official scores. Some schools only want them once you've been accepted as they understand it's an added cost.

Hi nanokid,

Grad Schools sometimes see so many applicants that it can be difficult to figure out who to accept and who to reject. However, when an applicant does NOT actually complete the full application process (by sending in an Official GRE Score Report), then that task gets a little bit easier. If you're serious about attending any of these Programs, then you have to show the Admissions Departments that you're professional enough to complete the series of application 'tasks' that they have set for you. At this point, I would call the Admissions Office directly, apologize for not sending in your Official Report sooner, and ask if it's still okay to send in your Report now.

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich