MA/MSc in Europe (LSE, SOAS, IHEID...)

unagi

Hi everyone!

I am still in the process of determining where I will eventually apply. It will be my 2nd master degree, so I am a little bit more picky than I was the first time. So far I have narrowed it down to:

IHEID - Development Studies

King's College - Conflict, Security and Development

University of Amsterdam - International Development

Uppsala Universitet - Humanitarian Action and Conflicts

I have also looked at the University of Edinburgh, but to be frank I was quite disappointed with the quality of the programme when I compare it to my first master degree. I visited the open day, and my overall impression was that there is quite a vertical relationship between students and teachers. I am not keen on that, I think by now I am old enough to be treated as an equal academic partner (as I have been used to throughout my university studies). Furthermore they seem to expect quite a lot from applicants compared to what their programme offers in return with regard to extracurricular opportunities. I am now wondering if this hierarchy between student and professor is a normal thing in the UK? Can anyone share some light on this? Because it would definitely influence my decision. I actually read similar things about IHEID, so I am also curious about any experiences there.

On November 21, 2015 at 12:59:24 PM, unagi said:

Same! Completed my application and submitted it today. Letters of rec were already submitted so I am all done now. So glad it's over with. Now to just anxiously wait over the results. :blink::blink:

Hey Unagi,

Congrats for finishing up your application! Bright side: it is done :D

Edited by Flou

On 11/23/2015, 6:37:45, reddog said:

Hi everyone!

I am still in the process of determining where I will eventually apply. It will be my 2nd master degree, so I am a little bit more picky than I was the first time. So far I have narrowed it down to:

IHEID - Development Studies

King's College - Conflict, Security and Development

University of Amsterdam - International Development

Uppsala Universitet - Humanitarian Action and Conflicts

I have also looked at the University of Edinburgh, but to be frank I was quite disappointed with the quality of the programme when I compare it to my first master degree. I visited the open day, and my overall impression was that there is quite a vertical relationship between students and teachers. I am not keen on that, I think by now I am old enough to be treated as an equal academic partner (as I have been used to throughout my university studies). Furthermore they seem to expect quite a lot from applicants compared to what their programme offers in return with regard to extracurricular opportunities. I am now wondering if this hierarchy between student and professor is a normal thing in the UK? Can anyone share some light on this? Because it would definitely influence my decision. I actually read similar things about IHEID, so I am also curious about any experiences there.

Hey! Why aren't you applying for the MIA at IHEID instead ? Considering the other options you have are all International Affairs related? And yes, I think the hierarchy thing must be true for UK as it definitely works that way in India and our system is very heavily influenced by them due to the colonial influence etc! Although I have a friend studying at IHEID and she said it was different there so I applied there this year! Waiting it out!

On 11/30/2015, 9:40:28, unagi said:

Yeah exactly. su_nayana did you apply to LSE as well?

Nope! I have only applied to IHEID for their interdisciplinary masters as it's the only institute that offers very specific courses I was looking for! How many institutes are you applying to? What is your first preference?

Hey all,

I have been doing some research on European IR schools, and have come across a very attractive program in Prague. In terms of affordability, location and curriculum, it appeals to me greatly. However, I am not sure of its reputation, given that I can't find much information on the school or the program online outside of the school/program website itself.

It's the IDS program at the University of Economics, Prague :http://ids.vse.cz/program-info/program-description/

Has anyone come across this program, or heard anything about it? I am really drawn to it, but I am hesitant to apply given its seemingly low reputation. I hope I'm wrong.

21 hours ago, su_nayana said:

Nope! I have only applied to IHEID for their interdisciplinary masters as it's the only institute that offers very specific courses I was looking for! How many institutes are you applying to? What is your first preference?

Aw that's so good that you're so focused on which school you're headed to. I am applying to ~6 institutes I think. So far I have confirmed: SOAS, LSE, IHEID, University of Sussex, Johns Hopkins SAIS, and Brandeis.

However, I have only completed the applications for SOAS and LSE....:blink: 

48 minutes ago, LiamShag said:

Hey all,

I have been doing some research on European IR schools, and have come across a very attractive program in Prague. In terms of affordability, location and curriculum, it appeals to me greatly. However, I am not sure of its reputation, given that I can't find much information on the school or the program online outside of the school/program website itself.

It's the IDS program at the University of Economics, Prague :http://ids.vse.cz/program-info/program-description/

Has anyone come across this program, or heard anything about it? I am really drawn to it, but I am hesitant to apply given its seemingly low reputation. I hope I'm wrong.

Hi LiamShag! :) Can't say I have heard of it but hey! if the program suits your demands and would provide the adequate training for a career in the field then you should apply. I think it's all about making the most of your studies and trying to gain as much experience as you can to do the work that you desire. I have seen many colleagues succeed professionally even though they didn't attend "ranked" universities or programs. :)

With that said, I think university prestige/ranking matter but your individual abilities and experiences matter far more.

27 minutes ago, unagi said:

Aw that's so good that you're so focused on which school you're headed to. I am applying to ~6 institutes I think. So far I have confirmed: SOAS, LSE, IHEID, University of Sussex, Johns Hopkins SAIS, and Brandeis.

However, I have only completed the applications for SOAS and LSE....:blink: 

Oh great! All the best then! What's your first preference? What did you apply for at IHEID? The MIA?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone heard back from LSE yet? They state up to 8 weeks on the Application Tracker but I don't know if thats just to keep away annoying emails requesting info or a genuine turnaround time.

I applied for PhD in Politics 12th of December but application was processed by them about a week after. I have offers from other UK schools but they're responses came within two/three weeks. 

On January 13, 2016 at 5:48 AM, studugarte said:

Still waiting to hear back from LSE too. Also wondering if the week + that the office was closed over Christmas means that shouldn't be counted in the 8 weeks also?

Looks like LSE results are starting to trickle in. Wish people would note when they applied :/

5 hours ago, Elvidi said:

Looks like LSE results are starting to trickle in. Wish people would note when they applied :/

5 hours ago, Elvidi said:

I submitted the 9th of Dec but took around 10 days to receive the email confirming the application had been processed on their end. 

1 hour ago, studugarte said:

I submitted the 9th of Dec but took around 10 days to receive the email confirming the application had been processed on their end. 

I submitted mine December 16th and they processed up to the 15th before break haha :/

Heard back from Kings College today for PhD. Conditional offer requiring me to complete my current MA with 'Merit'.

They cite an 8 week turnaround time for answers and I submitted my application the same week as LSE. 

I saw a guy from another feed got an offer from LSE yesterday for the MA in EU Politics. He'd applied mid Nov with his papers processed at the beginning of Dec. 

Fingers crossed for offers soon! Good luck all (both with results and the excruciating waiting!) 

Hey, thank you!

Yes, the PPA was and is my first choice. I also applied for the MSc Public Management and Governance. 

About the concentration: Im not sure yet, but I think Ill stick with the public management track, because i want to take one or two courses in "regulation" (my PhD Thesis is a regulatory topic and I have a law background).

So you are a Dr Jur with a completed regulation thesis, wow. You must have done a lot of research on it. Is it Competition/Anti Trust Law? You certainly can contribute lots in class.

Have you looked at any specific industries? Form an economic and public policy perspective, many modules look at regulations in energy, telecom as the UK regulators OFTEL, OFCOM have plenty data and a bit more bite than financial services regulation.