University of Michigan Social of Social Work Fall 2016

SWinMI

Hi everyone! I created this thread to get in contact with other people who have or plan to apply. I just submitted my application for Interpersonal Mental Health for Fall 2016. I know I won't hear back for a long time, but I still want to hear from others and their experiences! 

• 2 months later...

Hey, I just started an account here. I applied in late November, and submitted applications to both the Detroit Clinical Scholars program and to the Community-Based Initiative in Detroit. I have a lot of macro experience, and would love doing that work, but also believe I would benefit from a stronger clinical foundation. Either way, I know I want to work with youth in Detroit (where I'm from). 

I just requested an interview -- it's scheduled for January 5th. I have a lot of relevant experience, but my GPA is only a 3.3, so I'm nervous. A faculty member told me I'd do well to interview, so I can explain why my grades are low. It was really one semester that messed me up, when I was sick. Other than that, I've got all As in my current BSW program. 

Anyways, I'm super anxious about this whole process, and hoping I can make it. Glad to connect with you on here! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi lancehicks,

I'm trying to decide if I should ask for an interview.  I applied late November and I think I need to interview to explain my situation.

Gook luck on your interview and if you could please let me how it went and how it was structured.  I'm so fearful of going on that interview.....it's so much pressure!

Thanks!!!

Edited by umichMSW

I will be submitting my MSW application by this Friday. I'm applying for the dual degree program to concurrently earn an MPP through the Ford School, so my concentration will be Social Policy & Evaluation. I also plan to apply for the National Community Scholars Program.

For anyone else who has yet to apply, February 1st is the deadline for special programs and graduate student assistant consideration!

Through great effort, I succeeded in creating an account with VPN!

Glad to find this thread. I submitted my application on 30/12/2015. So I am waiting for the result now. So worried because my TOEFL is only 97 now!!! Hope I could get admission!

I do not know if we are going to find out via email or Wolverine Access.  I just set up my account as I was never given an ID number or advised to check this site.  If anyone knows how we will hear from the school please post it.   

From

7 hours ago, umichMSW said:

I do not know if we are going to find out via email or Wolverine Access.  I just set up my account as I was never given an ID number or advised to check this site.  If anyone knows how we will hear from the school please post it.   

From my research a link shows up on Wolverine  Access under your application 

Hi everyone! 

If you're looking for housing at UMich next year: please consider Telluride House! We're a living community made up of graduate students, undergraduate students, and faculty members. Room and board is FREE! (Yes, this sounds too good to be true, but I assure you, it IS true.)

You can find out more about the house and find the application here. (The website still reflects our fall application cycle - the new one should be posted within a week, but it will be identical except for deadlines). The essays can take quite a while, so the earlier you get started, the better! You can apply even if you haven't heard back on an admissions decision yet.

Our house truly values academic diversity, and we are currently underrepresented in social work, so I'd highly encourage you to apply. Feel free to e-mail the address on the website with any questions!

Hi All,

Anyone heard anything back yet?  Has anyone gone on an interview?   I've been checking the wolverine access site constantly and waiting for the decision link to show up.  Not feeling very confident at this time because my application has been with the committee since before the holidays.  The early modified rolling admissions process they use mean that they can keep you in mind as a possible candidate for months but they are really waiting for better candidates to apply and will give offers of admission to them.  I saw one acceptance come in on the gradcafe board that posts the results.

1 hour ago, umichMSW said:

Hi All,

Anyone heard anything back yet?  Has anyone gone on an interview?   I've been checking the wolverine access site constantly and waiting for the decision link to show up.  Not feeling very confident at this time because my application has been with the committee since before the holidays.  The early modified rolling admissions process they use mean that they can keep you in mind as a possible candidate for months but they are really waiting for better candidates to apply and will give offers of admission to them.  I saw one acceptance come in on the gradcafe board that posts the results.

I applied December 1st and haven't heard back yet, though I don't seem to be able to sign into wolverine access so I'm just waiting on an email.

I also applied December 1 and have not heard anything. I check Wolverine Access multiple times a day, LOL. I'm a good candidate, so I don't think they looked at my application and said, "Let's see if someone better comes along."  The probably have hundreds of applications to go through and people applied before December 1, which was only the first deadline.  I doubt they have even gotten to those who applied on the deadline. I'm not going to start worrying unless another month goes by without any news. 

I just talked to an admissions person who said they're probably going to start releasing decisions soon. It sounds like they go through applications for the special program candidates first because there are certain deadlines those students have to meet, and then after that is completed they start looking at the normal program applicants.

Yes I saw that post and I feel a little sick about it as I applied in late November (advanced standing) and haven't heard anything.  I've been checking Wolverine Access all the time and just hoping to hear soon.  This wait is painful as I only want this school- applied to MSU a few weeks ago but I don't think I want to attend there as a second choice if I don't get in.   

I think Michigan is reviewing the special programs (Scholarships & Funding) first. I applied for the Global Activities Scholars Program by the priority deadline of 12/1 and received a rejection email yesterday afternoon. I'm bummed, but GASP only accepts 6 people a year and Michigan was my reach program/school so I wasn't too shocked. So for those who applied for the specials programs, you should be hearing soon. Good luck everyone!

Edited by morningjunky

On January 19, 2016 at 3:53 PM, lindyhopper said:

I just talked to an admissions person who said they're probably going to start releasing decisions soon. It sounds like they go through applications for the special program candidates first because there are certain deadlines those students have to meet, and then after that is completed they start looking at the normal program applicants.

Thanks for the info!!!

On January 19, 2016 at 3:53 PM, lindyhopper said:

Thanks for the info!!!

Thank you all for your input and I wish everyone the best.  Does anyone know if any advanced standing acceptances or rejections have gone out?  I applied for advanced standing and wonder if they are processing those applications last.  Also, does anyone know how many applications they received?  I think around 1500 were submitted last year.  

I'm trying to limit my views of Wolverine Access to under 50 times/day. :)