University of Michigan Social of Social Work Fall 2016

SWinMI

I submitted my application January 10, so I don't expect to hear back for another  weeks even though I also applied to a special program. Best of luck to you early applicants! I'll be lurking as more notifications come in.

On January 19, 2016 at 3:53 PM, lindyhopper said:

I just talked to an admissions person who said they're probably going to start releasing decisions soon. It sounds like they go through applications for the special program candidates first because there are certain deadlines those students have to meet, and then after that is completed they start looking at the normal program applicants.

Thanks for the info!!!

I found out last week via e-mail that I had been accepted to the Advanced Standing MSW program! I'm super excited considering this was my "aim high" school. I'm still waiting to hear back from NYU, the University of Denver, and Portland State University. How's everyone doing? Any recent acceptance letters? Wishing you all the best! This process is stressful. 

I found out about UMich 1/15, and got into the Advanced Standing program. They are going to be sending out financial information "by March", so I'm anxiously awaiting that news! I applied to the Global Scholars program, but I heard that information comes back along with financial aid info.

I also got into UChicago, and got that acceptance on 1/22! So far I'm 2 for 2, so that's exciting! 

54 minutes ago, SWLindsey said:

I found out about UMich 1/15, and got into the Advanced Standing program. They are going to be sending out financial information "by March", so I'm anxiously awaiting that news! I applied to the Global Scholars program, but I heard that information comes back along with financial aid info.

I also got into UChicago, and got that acceptance on 1/22! So far I'm 2 for 2, so that's exciting! 

Congrats about UMich! When did you apply? I'm still waiting to hear. That's frustrating that they don't send out the scholarship info with acceptance.

For UChicago, when did you hear and how? Did they just notify you by email? Also waiting on them.

3 hours ago, Joy418 said:

Congrats about UMich! When did you apply? I'm still waiting to hear. That's frustrating that they don't send out the scholarship info with acceptance.

For UChicago, when did you hear and how? Did they just notify you by email? Also waiting on them.

Thanks! I applied to both of those schools before Dec. 1st. It makes it really difficult to make decisions without the scholarship info! 

I got an email stating that there was an application status update for UChicago, then logged in to see the acceptance letter and scholarship info. I hope you hear back soon!

1 hour ago, SWLindsey said:

Thanks! I applied to both of those schools before Dec. 1st. It makes it really difficult to make decisions without the scholarship info! 

I got an email stating that there was an application status update for UChicago, then logged in to see the acceptance letter and scholarship info. I hope you hear back soon!

Thanks for letting me know! I applied right before 12/1 so hopefully I hear soon :) At least Chicago lets you know scholarship right away. Did they give you a good scholarship?

Hi all - I was admitted on January 12, having submitted my application December 1. I had an interview for a special program last week, so that is probably why I received the admission decision early. Haven't heard yet about the special program or other potential scholarships/aid. I was also just admitted to UNC-Chapel Hill, where I'm in state, so unless I receive some kind of merit aid it likely won't be worthwhile to head to Ann Arbor (not to mention all the cold weather gear I'd need to invest in) :)

I got an email from Michigan today; they want to have an interview. Earliest is Feb 18. Does anyone know why they'd want to conduct an interview beforehand? 

Edited by jazzythree

Someone posted in the results section yesterday that they were accepted into the advanced standing program.  In the comments section they said all acceptances have gone out and rejections start today.  Does anyone know where they would have got this information? I heard that they are still going through the applications.

I technically applied MSW/MPH but had to do separate application packets for each department.  I also applied for the Intregrative Health Scholarship.  I am not surprised because it is UM but I wanted to apply to institutions that were a good fit for my interests, even if my academics probably weren't up to par.  I was an undergrad 12 years ago and had no interest in social work at all, but my career and some personal developments led me to social work.  I imagine that my lack of volunteering and research experience, despite my successful non-profit career, hurt me.  I'm not what they are looking for in a student, clearly.   Maybe you are!  Good luck!  

For those of you who have been accepted, any word on when financial aid packages will be sent out?  I applied to the Integrated Healthcare Scholarship Program but have not received a request for an interview as others have.  Also, does anyone know how flexible Michigan is with their decision deadline of March 1st?  I doubt I will hear back from all programs by then, and the others I have been accepted to such as WUSTL give significantly more time than that for admitted students to accept/reject offers.

Edited by ediblestranger

On October 7, 2015 at 3:00 PM, SWinMI said:

Hi everyone! I created this thread to get in contact with other people who have or plan to apply. I just submitted my application for Interpersonal Mental Health for Fall 2016. I know I won't hear back for a long time, but I still want to hear from others and their experiences! 

When have all of you that have been accepted to advanced standing applied?  I applied 11/30 and have not heard back- just going crazy with worry.  May I ask what your GPA's are in your last 60 credit hours and overall.  I'm at a 3.76 in last 60 credits and 3.4 overall. 

On January 27, 2016 at 7:56 PM, Joy418 said:

Hi everyone - wanted to send an update for those who are wondering about financial aid. Yesterday I emailed the director of the special program I interviewed with a few weeks ago to check in on the admissions process. She didn't respond, but this morning I received an email from the financial aid office notifying me that I was accepted to the program and also was granted another scholarship totaling $15,000 over the two years. So they are at least rolling on the financial aid decisions - I would recommend checking in! My financial aid information is not yet updated on Wolverine Access.

That said, I'm thrilled to have received this funding, which makes Michigan a potentially realistic option now. Cost is a HUGE consideration for me - doesn't make sense to go into ridiculous debt for a social work degree. The ROI just isn't there. Medical school, maybe, but not social work ;) I will probably try to visit Ann Arbor in the next few weeks. Please let me know if you have any recommendations!

@ljo377 Congrats on the acceptance and the fantastic financial aid package! That's awesome! Univ. of Michigan is my top school, so I'm hoping for a good package. 

I wanted to ask, which special program did you interview for? I applied for the CBI program but haven't heard back.