University of Michigan Social of Social Work Fall 2016

SWinMI

1 hour ago, anony2888 said:

@umichMSW That is disappointing. I'm sorry. I am pulling for you (and will continue to do so!).

If they were going to reject you, they would have done it. Believe me. They couldn't get me out of their applicant pool fast enough.  I don't have concrete information about this, but they have a lot of acceptances floating around out there and are likely waiting to get declines before admitting anyone else. It sounds like you are on hold rather than being on the waitlist, which might be better because it means they have not come to a decision either way. You are still in the running. 

I second this.  If they weren't still considering you, they would have rejected you outright.  Don't give up hope just yet!  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of admitted students end up declining, especially out-of-state students, given the high costs of the program.  Heck, I received a 32K scholarship from Michigan (and acceptance into a special program) and I'm still not sure I'll be accepting, since the program and living expenses will still come to over 95K.  For out-of-state students who didn't get funding from a special program or one of the mere like 3 assistantships positions they have to fill, that's about $130,000, which I can't imagine a lot of prospective MSW students are willing to spend.

Thank you so much Anony2888.  I'm sorry you got rejected.  I wish the decision process was more transparent or even more interview based as the selection    decisions are so mysterious and don't help you if you are rejected -with any feedback or reasoning that can help you in the future.  Did you get into another program?

Yes I agree that the cost is so very high and Ann Arbor has a high cost of living you'll need to factor in.  I didn't apply for any funding so it's going to be very expense if I get in.  It's too bad the degree itself really doesn't have a good payback in terms of salaries.  

Perhaps the schools should put some of their efforts in the development of strategies to help raise the incomes levels for MSW graduates.   I'm not doing it for the money-obviously like everyone in this field but I am going to try to maximize my income throughout my career as I believe we are worth it.  Do you know if people who are accepted all have the same deadline or are they flexible in offering more time to respond?  I'm up about 3lbs with this stress and hope to hear back before I'm a mess  :)  Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  

@umichMSW It just means I belong somewhere else!  I have a lot of academic baggage, if you will, so it's not surprising.  UMich has interviewed some applicants, so you may still get a chance to show how qualified you are through that avenue too. I was admitted to WUSTL for the MSW/MPH program but I cannot afford it.  They awarded me a small scholarship for the MSW but it's just not enough since it is a three year program and with living expenses, would still put me in debt around $120K, which given my age, I would literally spend the rest of my life paying off.  I want to go but I cannot justify that for these degrees.  I really believe the cost of a graduate degree should be tied to the average starting salary of a person with that degree. The cost of an MSW at many universities is out of control.  Anyway, I'm keeping the faith for you!

Edited by anony2888

8 minutes ago, umichMSW said:

Yes I agree that the cost is so very high and Ann Arbor has a high cost of living you'll need to factor in.  I didn't apply for any funding so it's going to be very expense if I get in.  It's too bad the degree itself really doesn't have a good payback in terms of salaries.  

Perhaps the schools should put some of their efforts in the development of strategies to help raise the incomes levels for MSW graduates.   I'm not doing it for the money-obviously like everyone in this field but I am going to try to maximize my income throughout my career as I believe we are worth it.  Do you know if people who are accepted all have the same deadline or are they flexible in offering more time to respond?  I'm up about 3lbs with this stress and hope to hear back before I'm a mess  :)  Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  

The deadline to accept/decline is flexible - you just have to send a written request by email.  However, I am not sure how this may affect any scholarships that have been offered.  Anyone else inquired about this?

3 minutes ago, ediblestranger said:

The deadline to accept/decline is flexible - you just have to send a written request by email.  However, I am not sure how this may affect any scholarships that have been offered.  Anyone else inquired about this?

I don't think it affects your scholarships at all. I have extended nearly all of my accept/decline deadlines and that's all it is --- an extension. Most schools are required to extend your accept/decline deadline to April 15. 

24 minutes ago, BrendonSW said:

I don't think it affects your scholarships at all. I have extended nearly all of my accept/decline deadlines and that's all it is --- an extension. Most schools are required to extend your accept/decline deadline to April 15. 

Thanks, that's helpful.  I can't recall specifically which schools, but I know I've read/heard from a few that failure to accept/decline by the deadline may result in scholarship offers being withdrawn.

I didn't know that they were required to extend your deadlines until April 15, @BrendonSW. Do you know who requires them to do this?

I requested an extension for UMich until April 1 instead of March 15 but they responded telling me I was extended until March 21. I didn't counter back at the time, thinking I would cross that bridge closer to the deadline. I still don't think I'll be ready to decide by then -- April 15 would be ideal because I'm pretty sure I'll have a better picture of what my other top choice is offering by that time!

It is such a BIG decision to move away and take on significant loans, even with the aid I was offered; want to be sure it's the right move financially and professionally before taking the plunge. I'll be so grateful to finally have a picture within a month or so of what my summer/fall will be like!

@ljo377 Yes! Most schools have to give you up until April 15 to make a decision. Here's what I read: http://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution

The University of Denver told me about it when I called a couple of weeks ago to check on my application status. NYU said I had to decide by March 18, Denver said otherwise and told me to look it up. 

Yes, was wondering about admissions decisions when I read that. Should really be that way across the board so we can all make informed decisions...

Who is leaning toward attending Michigan right now? I'm going to visit in a couple weekends!

5 hours ago, ljo377 said:

Yes, was wondering about admissions decisions when I read that. Should really be that way across the board so we can all make informed decisions...

Who is leaning toward attending Michigan right now? I'm going to visit in a couple weekends!

I'm definitely leaning toward Michigan right now. I should hear back regarding the GSSA position within 2 weeks, so then I'll know for sure. :)

Hi All, 

I have been sort of passive on the forums, but really appreciated everyone's posts. I was waitlisted with U Mich on Jan 20. I called the school and requested an interview and was accepted 5 days after the interview. 

Maybe there are other waitlisted candidates out there that could benefit from an interview? I feel as though I have a bit of a non-traditional road to social work and I felt like my interview helped bring what was on paper to life. 

All that considered, I have some other options on the table and also have some big decisions to make. I am happy to chat here or through messages about the interview.

Thanks to all for sharing, celebrating, supporting here!

7 hours ago, KatieJaiYen said:

Hi All, 

I have been sort of passive on the forums, but really appreciated everyone's posts. I was waitlisted with U Mich on Jan 20. I called the school and requested an interview and was accepted 5 days after the interview. 

Maybe there are other waitlisted candidates out there that could benefit from an interview? I feel as though I have a bit of a non-traditional road to social work and I felt like my interview helped bring what was on paper to life. 

All that considered, I have some other options on the table and also have some big decisions to make. I am happy to chat here or through messages about the interview.

Thanks to all for sharing, celebrating, supporting here!

Did you do a Skpye or telephone interview?   I was wondering if anyone has some insight as to whether I should request an interview.  I got an email last week saying they are going to delay my decision at this time.  I applied early admission for advanced standing and wonder if I should do anything next other than to wait.  I don't know what else to do- the letter did not state that I needed to reply other than to let them know if I'd like to withdrawal my application. 

@umichMSW it was a skype audio interview as I currently living outside the United States. I think requesting the interview is worth a try. I gave the Student Services Office a call and they scheduled it immediately.

I am an MSW Day application, not advanced standing, but I assume the process is similar.  I think it's a great opportunity to make a strong personal connection and communicate your commitment to the program and profession.

Best of luck!

I think it makes a lot of sense to request an interview - at the very least it shows you're very interested in actually attending! I'm sure their yield rates are pretty low since it's so expensive out of state.

Good luck @BrendonSW! I was emailing with one of the GSSAs to coordinate my visit; she was so helpful and made me wish I had applied for one of the positions! :)

37 minutes ago, KatieJaiYen said:

@umichMSW it was a skype audio interview as I currently living outside the United States. I think requesting the interview is worth a try. I gave the Student Services Office a call and they scheduled it immediately.

I am an MSW Day application, not advanced standing, but I assume the process is similar.  I think it's a great opportunity to make a strong personal connection and communicate your commitment to the program and profession.

Best of luck!

Thanks KatieJaiYen.  Can you tell me how the interview was structured?  What type of questions did they ask etc..  

I don't know if anyone else is in the DC area, but UM SSW is holding an admissions event + reception this evening. I'll be attending even though I don't know the status of my application. 

@ljo377 which GSSA student did you talk with? 

i'd like to schedule face to face interview but need some help as I am unfamiliar with the process.  i've already met one-on-one with a current student and have visited the school on multiple occasions. 

I'm still waiting on an admission decision. My only guess is that they're waiting for the Ford School MPP decisions to go out as well, which may happen by the end of this week.

12 hours ago, Joy418 said:

I still haven't gotten my scholarship offer yet. Anyone else waiting? Does this mean I'm not getting an offer?

I'm still waiting too! I feel like we'll hear something by the end of this week. Hopefully :)

38 minutes ago, beepbop said:

@RCtheSS any news from the MSW? 

I'm waiting as well...but I did apply a coupla weeks later to the MSW than most folks on this thread.

Anyway, best of luck! 

Nothing yet. I applied on January 11, IIRC. Since then, the only correspondence I've received was an email confirming my completed application. 

Hopefully we'll both hear back soon!