University of Michigan Social of Social Work Fall 2016

SWinMI

1 minute ago, StephMSW said:

Huh. I did apply to some special programs but I haven't heard anything about those decisions. I might try calling them and asking about it.

Yeah, that's what I've been told. Both schools have programs that fit my needs so either way it'll be okay! 

I listened to the Virtual Open House webinar today, and they are still reviewing applications for the special programs. It sounds as if they'll be notifying applicants of those awards on a rolling basis.

5 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

I listened to the Virtual Open House webinar today, and they are still reviewing applications for the special programs. It sounds as if they'll be notifying applicants of those awards on a rolling basis.

Oh, awesome! Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep my fingers crossed. 

25 minutes ago, JessSW said:

I applied for the GSSA position and never received an interview. On February 26th, I received an email telling me that I didn't receive the position and that the selection process was highly competitive. Perhaps you should inquire? The email I received was from Erin Zimmer.

I interviewed for the GSSA position on February 25th. The one I interviewed for was the Career Services position, which was different than the one Erin had (hers was student support). I just feel like it's been so long since my interview. They said offers/decisions would be made the middle of March. And they specifically asked me not to contact them that I would receive notification either way. I'm just very curious and hopeful, although I feel like I would've already heard back if I was chosen. 

Edited by BrendonSW

14 minutes ago, BrendonSW said:

I interviewed for the GSSA position on February 25th. The one I interviewed for was the Career Services position, which was different than the one Erin had (hers was student support). I just feel like it's been so long since my interview. They said offers/decisions would be made the middle of March. And they specifically asked me not to contact them that I would receive notification either way. I'm just very curious and hopeful, although I feel like I would've already heard back if I was chosen. 

Ah, I see! Well hopefully they get back to you soon :) Best of luck to you!

I officially accepted admission today for the fall! Bittersweet because it will be tough to move away, but I think this program has a lot to offer, and the financial aid made it cost the same as my in-state option. Anyone else officially decided yet?

@ljo377 Congrats on deciding! I am still in the undecided boat. NYU has offered the most $$, I'm still waiting on Michigan's decision regarding the GSSA, and U of Denver is just there. I think it's between NYU and Michigan, I just can't decide. I truthfully can't justify taking out so much $$ in loans. Personally, it's overwhelming. 

I didn't get the GSSA position. Not sure what I'm going to do. I'm reluctant to take out loans, so I don't know. Michigan would put me in the most debt as of now, unfortunately. Who knows. Time will tell. :) 

Hi All, anyone out there still waiting for decisions from special programs? I am interviewing for Global Activities this week and was a bit surprised to be considered for an interview this late. I figured the spots were full.

Any insight on global activities or other special programs?

18 hours ago, KatieJaiYen said:

Hi All, anyone out there still waiting for decisions from special programs? I am interviewing for Global Activities this week and was a bit surprised to be considered for an interview this late. I figured the spots were full.

Any insight on global activities or other special programs?

I don't know much about the other programs, but I was accepted into the Integrated Health Scholarship Program without any kind of interview or notice that I was even being considered.  That it integrates physical, mental, and behavioral health seems like great preparation for work in a variety of settings.  It has a greater emphasis on policy than the straight mental health track, which is helpful long-term for clinicians since many decide to exit clinical practice at some point in their lives.  Your field placement is selected for you by the program members which has its ups and downs, the downside being fewer choices and the upside being that you are likely to be placed in the UM Health System which means it will be very intensive.  I think it's probably very good preparation for working with society's most disadvantaged populations.  It's a good choice for me because I plan to work with those affected by severe mental illness, and this is a population that is also disproportionately affected by substance abuse disorders and physical health problems.  I don't believe you have to choose the interpersonal practice method concentration to apply, but I think those applicants are preferred.

3 hours ago, BrendonSW said:

Thanks. I'm trying to be positive and look into other resources and options. 

Sorry you didn't get the gig Brendon, I was rooting for you too.  Did you apply to any of the special programs?  People keep saying they've still got spaces to fill!

1 hour ago, ediblestranger said:

Sorry you didn't get the gig Brendon, I was rooting for you too.  Did you apply to any of the special programs?  People keep saying they've still got spaces to fill!

I applied to the CBI program but didn't get in. I didn't expect to, though. My application was spare of the moment. I'm meeting with a mentor of mine on Friday to re-evaluate everything. I really would love to attend U of M. I just need more financial assistance. If I could get around 50% of my tuition covered, I would be content. As of right now, NYU has offered me the most. The problem with that is that U of M has the program I want. NYU is more clinical and I've decided that the macro / organizational track is 100% what I want. 

I'm stuck, to be honest. Meeting with one of my mentors will be good because I need to make lots of lists and literally reassess this entire thing. I need a fresh mind and fresh eyes. I know there's $$ out there, I've just got to keep looking and applying. I'm also keeping an eye out for research opportunities. I've presented at several national and local conferences (my own research) and know there's opportunities for that sometimes. 

How's everyone else doing? Any final decisions? 

On 3/24/2016 at 10:13 PM, BrendonSW said:

I applied to the CBI program but didn't get in. I didn't expect to, though. My application was spare of the moment. I'm meeting with a mentor of mine on Friday to re-evaluate everything. I really would love to attend U of M. I just need more financial assistance. If I could get around 50% of my tuition covered, I would be content. As of right now, NYU has offered me the most. The problem with that is that U of M has the program I want. NYU is more clinical and I've decided that the macro / organizational track is 100% what I want. 

I'm stuck, to be honest. Meeting with one of my mentors will be good because I need to make lots of lists and literally reassess this entire thing. I need a fresh mind and fresh eyes. I know there's $$ out there, I've just got to keep looking and applying. I'm also keeping an eye out for research opportunities. I've presented at several national and local conferences (my own research) and know there's opportunities for that sometimes. 

How's everyone else doing? Any final decisions? 

Well, it sounds like you'd be a very competitive applicant for research opportunities if you can find any.  Don't forget about income-based repayment and public service loan forgiveness either.  I know it's not ideal, but it's an option.  From what I have read on this forum, school rank and reputation carries a lot more weight in macro-level work and can lead to higher earnings, which is something to look into/consider.  Another thing to keep in mind is that if you select the 16-month program track, the cost of living will be reduced by about $10,000.  If you are okay with having roommates, you can reduce it much, much more than that.  ALSO: I believe full-time students are eligible for Medicaid under Michigan's adoption of the Medicaid expansion, which further reduces costs by over $4,000 (if you planned on getting student health insurance).  I plan on looking into this more, so I'll let you know what I find out!  After factoring in these differences, Michigan turned out to be a lot less expensive for me than my other top choices.

Edited by ediblestranger

@ediblestranger Thanks for the reply. I will be sure to look into loan forgiveness and income-based repayment. I've applied for more scholarships and reached out regarding research assistantships and graduate assistantships in other departments. I think I will end up in a decent position once it's all said and done. And please do let me know when you find out about health insurance. That would be amazing!

On a side note: I committed to U of Michigan today and will be in the advanced standing program! This is the school that my mind was set on and I've had good vibes during the entire application process. I can't believe I finally made a decision, but here we are! I'm very excited. And I am looking forward to meeting several of you. :)

12 hours ago, BrendonSW said:

@ediblestranger Thanks for the reply. I will be sure to look into loan forgiveness and income-based repayment. I've applied for more scholarships and reached out regarding research assistantships and graduate assistantships in other departments. I think I will end up in a decent position once it's all said and done. And please do let me know when you find out about health insurance. That would be amazing!

On a side note: I committed to U of Michigan today and will be in the advanced standing program! This is the school that my mind was set on and I've had good vibes during the entire application process. I can't believe I finally made a decision, but here we are! I'm very excited. And I am looking forward to meeting several of you. :)

Nice, Brendon! Congrats on making the final call. I am definitely still in the decision making stages but leaning towards U-M! Hope to meet some of you come August.

Congrats to everyone making their decisions! I wish the best for all of you. :) 

I decided to decline admission to Michigan and instead will be attending the University of Minnesota next fall. With my current financial situation (I have a decent amount of debt from undergrad) it just made a lot more sense to go in state. 

Hi All, just confirmed U-M for the fall. Still playing the field at a bit with UW because their enrollment isn't due until June, but 95% sure it's settled on Michigan.

I look forward to meeting all of you come August. I am sure I will be in touch here or on Ann Arbor forum for housing. I plan to head there in June to secure housing.Late I know...can't get their earlier.

Hello! 

I've just confirmed U-M for the fall and will also be in touch on the Ann Arbor forum for housing.  Looking forward to meeting ya'll in August :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings folks!

After nearly four months of hearing nothing, I was finally accepted to the U!
I just graduated with my BSW from Eastern Michigan last Sunday and I got my acceptance a couple days later. Lol.

Question though... for those of you attending Michigan how long did you have to pay your enrollment deposit?
I'm considering asking for an extension. Has anyone done this?

For those who haven't yet heard back from Michigan, there is still time for you to be admitted too. I'm sending positive vibes! :)
Even if you don't get in, you just saved yourself a TON of debt. I'm a native Michigander and I still think U of M is ridiculously pricey.

Internet high fives to all of you! :)

I watched the recorded webinar, but perhaps I missed it. Does anyone have clarity on the amount of money for stipends to support certain field placements? I see that some placements have stipends listed without amounts. I assume it is meant to, in some cases, support longer round-trip travel? I have reached out to the school and awaiting a response. 

Understood if this is not the best thread for this and happy to start another re: admitted chat about field placements if it's of interest.

Thanks all for your continued support

Hey guys! Has anyone here applied for a re-review for scholarship money? I was granted $8,000 for the first 3 semesters and $15,000 for the last, but as an out of state student, I'm still not sure I can afford this! That is still almost 40,000 grand in debt. ?

Also, I want to introduce myself. My name is David (obviously). I received my undergrad in Public Health from UGA, and have been living and working in Florida for the past few years. I actually applied to Mich on a whim, not really thinking I would get in or be able to afford it if I did, but after researching the program and finding out their macro based program is one of the best, I am pretty sure I will be in Ann Arbor this fall! I have worked in the SUD field for several years now, as through life experience and education, it has become a passion of mine. I've been a long time lurker on these threads, stalking pretty much each and every one of you for the past several months as I have waited to see if I was accepted. I somehow was about two weeks ago, and received my scholarship info soon, after. The tuition is daunting though, and I'm torn between going to FAU in Boca and paying like 3,000 grand per semester or coming to Mich and paying over twice that. But I came up to Ann Arbor for my interview and to tour the school, and pretty much fell in love with it, especially Zingermanns Deli.  ?

Anyway, I am quite sure I'll be attending in the fall, although I am waiting to pay my deposit once I find out a little bit more about other scholarship opportunities that may arise. I look forward to meeting all of you, and thank you so much for answering all my questions this past few months without even knowing it ?

Edited by DavefromGeorgia

Welcome, @DavefromGeorgia! Love to see another southerner heading up to Ann Arbor this fall :)

I know where you're coming from with the financial piece - for me it was between my in-state school (UNC, which also has a great program) and Michigan. I received enough funding from Mich to make the tuition and living expenses basically a wash, but there will still be costs associated with moving, living in a somewhat more expensive area, traveling back and forth for breaks, etc. Also I love my community here and didn't have much desire to leave! But ultimately I was so impressed with the macro program on my visit, and could so clearly identify the pretty significant resource/opportunity differences between Michigan and Carolina, it made the choice clear.