Contacting PIs before the application deadline?

AjjA

Hi, 

Do you think that contacting PIs and trying to pursue them to recommend me to the review committee is a good idea? Based on my preparation, I'm not expecting great GRE score, but I have solid research background, publication, doctorate degree, good GPA and LORs. I thought by doing so I'd avoid the primary filtering of applications based on the GRE scors. 

On the other hand, I'm afraid that contacting them directly would bring me harm if nothing.

Just a quick note - at this point in the year many PI's will be getting a lot of emails about possible openings in their lab so you may not get very quick (if any) feedback. Read papers from the research group and maybe contact graduate students in the group since they usually would get back to you faster. 

I emailed all my PIs back in July/August. Almost all of them replied, if they didn't I just sent a reminder email basically saying I wanted to make sure it hadn't gotten lost in the inbox etc, and then most of those replied. I'm pretty sure it showed interest on my part, and most of them recommended that I apply to their program. One professor wanted to talk in person. So you never know how much an email can do for you. In my opinion, unless you come across as unprofessional, it can't hurt. I basically told them a little bit about myself, then asked if they were taking on new grad students, and followed that with a few basic questions about recent papers they had written, just to show it wasn't just some generic mass form letter. 

In my program, (rotational umbrella biology department) there is not a lot of benefit to contacting PI's beforehand.  Unless you manage to contact one of the PI's who is on the admissions committee, it won't help or hinder your chances in admissions.  It is extremely rare for a PI to actually vouch for a prospective student, unless they know the applicant personally.  It is definitely different at schools where you are directly admitted into a lab, but for my program which is rotational, a PI is not going to put forth the effort to contact the admissions committee regarding a student they emailed with once or twice.  

On the otherhand, emailing with genuine questions regarding the program is a different story.  But you are more likely to just get forwarded to a grad student in the lab to answer the questions.  

I think the real benefit comes in when you write your SOP and talk about why you want to go to that school and you can talk about reaching out to PIs and learning about all the different research going on there etc. It shows you actually have an interest. 

Hi, 

Do you think that contacting PIs and trying to pursue them to recommend me to the review committee is a good idea? Based on my preparation, I'm not expecting great GRE score, but I have solid research background, publication, doctorate degree, good GPA and LORs. I thought by doing so I'd avoid the primary filtering of applications based on the GRE scors. 

On the other hand, I'm afraid that contacting them directly would bring me harm if nothing.

To your first sentence, no, not a good idea.  To your last thought on "filtering"; you'd be surprised at how low some programs will go but if in doubt just contact the programs directly and ask.  

Profs/PIs, in particular in the biological sciences, expect to be contacted.  Doing so will bring your application no harm in and of itself as long as you remain professional during the exchange.  One thing to keep in mind is that different programs have different criteria.  Follow whatever steps the individual programs recommend.    

You mention you already have a doctorate degree.  Keep in mind that some programs will not accept you simply because of this. 

Edited by Crucial BBQ