Harvard EdLd 2016 Fall Cohort

Shlee467

Hello all.  Couldn't find any topics for applicants to the Fall 2016 cohort for Harvard's EdLd program so I thought I'd get one started!  Anyone else applying?  I'm still a bit overwhelmed by the personal statement and what to put in it.  So many ideas I want to get across!  Anyway, I know the program has a minuscule acceptance rate, but not applying gets you a 0% chance.  :)  Would love to have some like-minded individuals to discuss the process with on here. 

Thanks TheMonkeyOnMyBack - There is one for HGSE in general, but I haven't seen one for the EdLd program specifically (maybe I missed it?).  Would love to sweat it out with some others in my boat!  Which PhD programs are you applying to? 

I was thinking about the general one, I just wanted to make sure that you knew it was there.

I am focusing on Ed policy but am not planning on applying to Harvard (I think it is a bit beyond me) that saying most of the ED policy programs fall under ED leadership so who knows maybe we will bump into one another. I am planing on applying at UPenn, BC, Boulder, ASU, and Loyola. Possibly one other. You ? 

My masters is actually in Ed Policy.  I am only applying to Harvard's EdLd program because there really aren't other programs like it of its caliber.  It's a doctorate of practice rather than research, which is definitely more my angle.  Even in my masters program my focus was really on bringing ideas from research into policy and practice - and that's what I'm doing in my career now.  But I want to start applying for greater leadership roles and don't have the resume yet. Obviously, if I don't get accepted to the EdLd program (and it has a 5% or less acceptance rate so I'm trying to keep my sights realistic here), I can move up in my career with just the masters.  I just think the EdLd would open up a lot of really great opportunities and give me that extra edge.  It's a two-year cohort plus a one-year residency and I currently work with someone who did their residency here and now stayed on full time in a leadership role.  

So what is your goal with the PhD in ed policy?  Work in a research institute or stay in academia? Those are all really great schools you are applying to as well.  

I want to work in academia eventually but I think I want to go into government work first. I am currently getting a JD with a policy focus and a MS in curriculum so government is likely where my skills will come in to play most easily. Is the HGSC program your applying to a PhD or an EdD ? It sounds interesting I haven't heard of any programs that are a three year program focused on practice. 

Edited by TheMonkeyOnMyBack
miss spelling

The program I am applying to is actually an EdLd, a Doctor of Education Leadership specifically.  It's more comparable to an EdD, but Harvard used to have a separate EdD and EdLD.  As of last year, they changed the EdD to a PhD.  The EdLD program is through HGSE but the cohort includes courses from the Business and Government schools so it's a really great opportunity for those who want to be in leadership roles as opposed to strict academia, which is definitely more my style.  I had been considering PhDs from the Kennedy School of Government, but realized I don't really want to be in straight research.  I want to be more on the ground working with schools and organizations focused on taking the research and applying it.  Plus, the fact that it's 3 years instead of 4 or 5 is a huge bonus.  

My masters was a 1 year instead of 2, which was great because I now have that year of work experience I wouldn't have had yet had I gone for one of the two-year programs, which were far more common in Ed Policy.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On December 6, 2015 at 11:33 PM, LaurenG said:

Hello! I am applying as well. Nervously trying to refine my personal statement. How is everyone else's application process going? 

Glad to see someone else posted in here. Thought I was the lone wolf EdLDer on this site. Pushing submit on that thing was so scary. Wow, a month ago today! Two of my recommenders waited until the last second too so I was so nervous about that. Now it's just the waiting game...

So I have been reading the old threads and it looks like two to three weeks before interviews is when invites have gone out in the past. Also looks like decisions aren't posted until the late first or second week of March. Has anyone else heard of anyone getting admitted without being invited for an interview?

18 hours ago, GoBigOrGoHome said:

So I have been reading the old threads and it looks like two to three weeks before interviews is when invites have gone out in the past. Also looks like decisions aren't posted until the late first or second week of March. Has anyone else heard of anyone getting admitted without being invited for an interview?

I don't think that would happen, but never say never. 

I didn't think so either. I read on a previous thread of it happening, but I'm guessing (if that is true) it was a very special circumstance. So, I guess part of the anxiety will be alleviated by mid-February either way! 

Edited by GoBigOrGoHome

In the general HGSE 2016 feed someone wrote that someone was accepted to the program without an interview. But I wouldn't count on that. It seems crazy. I assume we'll here in about two weeks whether we get an interview and then interviews are Feb 25-26. I assume they cover expenses for that trip? I'm going to be so nervous during those weeks waiting to hear. 

Do any of you know if the stipend is an absolute or whether you have to get a teaching fellowship to make that? Also on that note, if it's just an automatic stipend, I wonder if you can get a teaching fellowship in addition to it. $24K is not Boston living money... 

On 1/22/2016 at 11:45 AM, Shlee467 said:

In the general HGSE 2016 feed someone wrote that someone was accepted to the program without an interview. But I wouldn't count on that. It seems crazy. I assume we'll here in about two weeks whether we get an interview and then interviews are Feb 25-26. I assume they cover expenses for that trip? I'm going to be so nervous during those weeks waiting to hear. 

Do any of you know if the stipend is an absolute or whether you have to get a teaching fellowship to make that? Also on that note, if it's just an automatic stipend, I wonder if you can get a teaching fellowship in addition to it. $24K is not Boston living money... 

I believe the stipend is automatic. I have read of "other opportunities" to earn money, but not anything specific. I have been wondering the same thing. I did read that you are not eligible for any other student aid including loans because their package estimates to cover all living expenses. 

I'm trying not to worry too much about logistics until after we hear about interviews, but that's not going great for me, as you can see! Ha.

On January 20, 2016 at 0:20 PM, JMDesert2 said:

The anxiety can be a bit much... it has been a month since pressing submit.. but who's counting anyway?

I'm so glad I found this thread!  I was wondering the same thing.... On a different thread from 2013 the invites went out two weeks before interviews. Who knows.... I only applied to this program but have some different offers in my city. The waiting is tough. 

wishing everyone the best :) you don't need luck when you have skills 

14 hours ago, Principalolson said:

I'm so glad I found this thread!  I was wondering the same thing.... On a different thread from 2013 the invites went out two weeks before interviews. Who knows.... I only applied to this program but have some different offers in my city. The waiting is tough. 

wishing everyone the best :) you don't need luck when you have skills 

Welcome to the thread!!! I keep hoping that interviews will go out earlier this time just so I can know (And so I can stop being shady about whether I can schedule meetings for Feb 25-26).

On 2/6/2016 at 3:14 PM, GoBigOrGoHome said:

Same question @Principalolson! Did you get an email?

Just FYI, in previous years they didn't send the invites all at once. They invite on a rolling basis for about a week or so so just because you haven't heard yet, doesn't mean you won't. Give it a week or so.

Just now, GoBigOrGoHome said:

Thanks, @Shlee467! Have you heard anything yet? This waiting game is no fun! 

No but now hearing that someone has heard (@principalolson, give us some guidance over here!! Haha), I'm checking my email like a maniac and can't focus on anything else. I went through my spam box (like I could have ever missed that email...). Nothing. Application status looks the same online too.

2 hours ago, Shlee467 said:

No but now hearing that someone has heard (@principalolson, give us some guidance over here!! Haha), I'm checking my email like a maniac and can't focus on anything else. I went through my spam box (like I could have ever missed that email...). Nothing. Application status looks the same online too.

I'm right there with you! I've mentally decided that I won't hear anything until Friday and after Friday, Harvard has lost its chance at ME! ha