Harvard EdLd 2016 Fall Cohort

Shlee467

4 minutes ago, S16 said:

Hi everyone,

I didn't get an interview either!  I've been out of grad school and in the field since 2016, having worked in the classroom and in admin.  I was warned by a former professor that my views were too progressive for this program, as it is funded by Bill Gates and favors TFA grads and charter school principals.  I don't want to end up where I don't belong, so I imagine this is for the best.  

Good luck to all to follow a path that will nurture your potential.

That is good to know, especially considering my views are generally not aligned with the Bill Gates/TFA/Charter anyway, so this program probably would not have been the best fit for me if that's what they are going for.

The admissions office has been great. I received an email today stating that all invitations will be sent out by mid-Feb. I'm a nervous wreck. This is the perfect program for me, but I've basically resigned myself that if I haven't received an invite yet, I'm not going to. So sad ?

There's the hope I was speaking of!  One person spoke to admissions and they said all invitations were sent.  Another person received an email that said mid-Feb...Give it until Tuesday before you bow out, folks.

Hi there guys! The fact that I keep checking this thread must mean something! This was my second try. I'm not getting any younger, but am at a point where this program would fit in my life. I have heard it said that, "If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans". I have even gone so far as looking at housing and found a place that is just right for me. Oh well, maybe I'll try one more time. The third time may be the charm!

21 minutes ago, edldwannabe said:

Hi there guys! The fact that I keep checking this thread must mean something! This was my second try. I'm not getting any younger, but am at a point where this program would fit in my life. I have heard it said that, "If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans". I have even gone so far as looking at housing and found a place that is just right for me. Oh well, maybe I'll try one more time. The third time may be the charm!

I have been having a very spirited conversation with God about my plans for the Ed.L.D. program, lol!  I'm sure I'm a comedian in his eyes.  You never know...the second time may still be a charm for you.  If it makes you feel any better, there are people who have applied two and even three times before gaining admission to the program.  Keep the faith. 

7 minutes ago, HGSE EDLD said:

I have been having a very spirited conversation with God about my plans for the Ed.L.D. program, lol!  I'm sure I'm a comedian in his eyes.  You never know...the second time may still be a charm for you.  If it makes you feel any better, there are people who have applied two and even three times before gaining admission to the program.  Keep the faith. 

Thanks! I guess it would be nice to know where I came up short. That way I'll be able to make an informed decision about trying again. I'm sure my test scores are a hindrance, but I don't see how they should be considered an indication of academic ability. 

On 2/12/2016 at 4:09 PM, S16 said:

I was warned by a former professor that my views were too progressive for this program, as it is funded by Bill Gates and favors TFA grads and charter school principals.  I don't want to end up where I don't belong, so I imagine this is for the best.

I think you may be oversimplifying the diversity of opinion at HGSE.

17 hours ago, graciasadios said:

I think you may be oversimplifying the diversity of opinion at HGSE.

Can you support that with your personal experience, or that of someone you know?  I'm quoting someone I know well who is the director of a respected education department at another university, who claims that no one from her program (which is notoriously anti-corporate reform) has every been accepted to the EdLd program at HGSE.

3 hours ago, S16 said:

Can you support that with your personal experience, or that of someone you know?  I'm quoting someone I know well who is the director of a respected education department at another university, who claims that no one from her program (which is notoriously anti-corporate reform) has every been accepted to the EdLd program at HGSE.

Forgive me as I am just a lowly HGSE M.Ed. applicant. My experience with the school is limited to one visit, 5 books, and about 50 videos. With that said, I think you are probably correct in your main point, which is that HGSE generally leans towards supporting the "corporate reform" movement. However, I really do not think there is any reason to believe that HGSE is homogeneously in support of "corporate reform." I really recommend The Futures of School Reform by Harvard professor Jal Mehta. I think it was a very fair debate of various educational reform issues by experts all across the spectrum. The people that HGSE invites to AskWith Forums also evinces their commitment to diversity of thought.

Besides, the HGSE Ed.L.D. is only 7 years old and has a 5% acceptance rate. With that dearth of admissions data, it is difficult to make generalizations such as "no one from X university ever gets into HGSE's Ed.L.D." Plus, I am skeptical of a person trying to denigrate a rival institution- even if you respect person making the claims.

I think the bottom line is that people like us want to go to Harvard Ed. because it is perceived as a leader in the national discussion on educational issues. If we think it leans too far towards one thing, then it is our job (as educational leaders) to use evidence to push HGSE towards policies that are best for our nation's children.

1 minute ago, graciasadios said:

Forgive me as I am just a lowly HGSE M.Ed. applicant. My experience with the school is limited to one visit, 5 books, and about 50 videos. With that said, I think you are probably correct in your main point, which is that HGSE generally leans towards supporting the "corporate reform" movement. However, I really do not think there is any reason to believe that HGSE is homogeneously in support of "corporate reform." I really recommend The Futures of School Reform by Harvard professor Jal Mehta. I think it was a very fair debate of various educational reform issues by experts all across the spectrum. The people that HGSE invites to AskWith Forums also evinces their commitment to diversity of thought.

Besides, the HGSE Ed.L.D. is only 7 years old and has a 5% acceptance rate. With that dearth of admissions data, it is difficult to make generalizations such as "no one from X university ever gets into HGSE's Ed.L.D." Plus, I am skeptical of a person trying to denigrate a rival institution- even if you respect person making the claims.

I think the bottom line is that people like us want to go to Harvard Ed. because it is perceived as a leader in the national discussion on educational issues. If we think it leans too far towards one thing, then it is our job (as educational leaders) to use evidence to push HGSE towards policies that are best for our nation's children.

I couldn't agree more that we should use evidence to push HGSE, and more importantly—the USDOE, toward policies that are best for our nation's children.  I also agree that the acceptance rate makes it difficult to generalize. Certainly, there are diverse viewpoints that are expressed by the faculty and student body at HGSE.  I have spoken to several alumni from the school who have said as much.  However, the mission and vision of the EdLD program as it currently exists is not one that posits progressive ideals, and the funding of the program comes directly from the corporate reform movement, so I do not think it is a far stretch of the imagination to infer that when choosing to accept and fund only a very small percentage of their applicants, they would be inclined to support the careers of those who, for the most part, are on board with their mission. That is not to denigrate the program, but to say what kind of fit the program would be for those whose missions are not aligned.

I didn't receive an interview and am pretty upset about it.  I'm a 1997 Harvard grad with a Master's in teaching and learning.  I want to be a part of the EDLD program so badly.  I know I'm a fantastic candidate.  I'm assuming most people who applied are.  Most likely it's a numbers game, but I don't like being on the other end.  I'll definitely be applying again next year.  Would anyone be willing to give me advice on how to put together the best application I can?  I obviously did something wrong.

Thanks!

Michelle

4 hours ago, Spanteach said:

I didn't receive an interview and am pretty upset about it.  I'm a 1997 Harvard grad with a Master's in teaching and learning.  I want to be a part of the EDLD program so badly.  I know I'm a fantastic candidate.  I'm assuming most people who applied are.  Most likely it's a numbers game, but I don't like being on the other end.  I'll definitely be applying again next year.  Would anyone be willing to give me advice on how to put together the best application I can?  I obviously did something wrong.

Thanks!

Michelle

Try not to take it too personally. I am also disappointed that I did not get in (or that I'm not interviewing RIGHT NOW), but keep in mind that over 500 applicants apply every year for 25 little spaces and those 500 some people I'm sure are very qualified. We don't actually know what we're up against, or who they are looking for. I do think that a few people who get in have applied a few  years in a row - depends on the cohort they are building that year, and how much experience they want people to have. I'm sure you're a really excellent candidate, so don't give up hope for next year!