MPA/MPP Applications, Fall 2016 Start (Canada)

Hey everyone, I was wondering if I could get some feedback. I want to work in public policy, specifically education policy. I've been searching all the threads to see what type of people get into these programs, and I can't decide if I'll get in or not. Here's my info (I don't know what will count towards my admission so I added pretty much everything)

•  Honours Economics degree from small east coast university
  • CGPA of 3.7, last two years GPA also 3.7
  • Only one political science course (Canadian Government Institutions)
  • 4 year varsity athlete, 3 (will likely be 4 after this year) year Academic All Canadian 
  • Will have strong LOR from plenty of Econ and Soc professors 
  • 1 year of research on housing prices and social housing policy
  • Honours thesis on education policy
  • One year of work as a TA in the Econ department
  • Position on Student Union 
  • Graduated from a 3-year leadership course through our school's varsity athlete council (very selective, only one in Canada)

Anyways, now that you sat through my life story you're obligated to help me. Please be realistic (I can take it), will I get into MPA/MPP programs in Canada? Will I be on the fence? Do I have no sweet chance? I know the decision making process is completely dependent on the year and the SOP/LOR and everything, but assuming I do well in those areas what's your opinion? Are there schools I shouldn't consider applying to? 

I'm from Ontario, so I'd ideally like to get back there. Right now I'm considering applying to Carleton, Queen's, Ryerson, Dal, and Waterloo (MPS). PLEASE don't hesitate to let me know if I'm wasting my time and my already dwindling $$. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey. I'm also applying to a few policy Masters programs- Waterloo MPS as well as Ryerson.

I have an average of 83% last two years of undergraduate studies at UBC, B.A. Political Science with a minor in Economics.

Not sure if I'll get it in, but hey, you're not alone in feeling uncertain, that's for sure. 

Best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

GPA: 3.1/3.3 depending if the school took my transfer credits into consideration. 

Cultural studies and gender studies major/minor, honours degree but did not do thesis option.

I'm sure my references were fine, but doubt they were anything extraordinary. One was my manager from my government job though.

Spent my 3rd year on exchange, had strong work history (research institute in Asia & government work experience with OPS), didn't have a lot of extracurriculars - was only involved somewhat with the TEDx at my university during my senior year.

I had extenuating circumstances I noted that affected my GPA but not sure if that actually weighed much on my application. 

Some programs do only look at your grades and resume, but honestly your essay holds the greatest weight.

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 0:58 PM, devp said:
11 hours ago, devp said:

GPA: 3.1/3.3 depending if the school took my transfer credits into consideration. 

Cultural studies and gender studies major/minor, honours degree but did not do thesis option.

I'm sure my references were fine, but doubt they were anything extraordinary. One was my manager from my government job though.

Spent my 3rd year on exchange, had strong work history (research institute in Asia & government work experience with OPS), didn't have a lot of extracurriculars - was only involved somewhat with the TEDx at my university during my senior year.

I had extenuating circumstances I noted that affected my GPA but not sure if that actually weighed much on my application. 

Some programs do only look at your grades and resume, but honestly your essay holds the greatest weight.

Did you by any chance apply to Carleton, I also have personal circumstances that have negatively impacted my academics and extracurriculars, and my GPA stands at about a 3.2 and I volunteered for two non-profits  although not government related, I plan to apply for Ryerson, queens and Carleton as my top choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I didn't apply to Carleton nor do I know anyone who did. I applied to U of T, Queens, SFU, Ryerson, UVic, Dal and Waterloo and didn't get into the first 3. Just to note, Queen's is basically 100% grades and resume based. I think you have to have a 3.3 at least to be considered, but from how I take it, not many seem to get in with less than a 3.4/3.5

• 1 month later...

Hi all, has anyone applied to/heard from the University of British Columbia MPPGA? I got an admission offer last week, but am hoping for some insights about when funding decisions are released.

Also @belles, have you applied to other schools and heard from them already?

14 hours ago, belles said:

Still waiting on Waterloo MPS and Ryerson MPPA.

6 hours ago, Reen said:

Hi all, has anyone applied to/heard from the University of British Columbia MPPGA? I got an admission offer last week, but am hoping for some insights about when funding decisions are released.

Also @belles, have you applied to other schools and heard from them already?

Those were the only specifically non-political science programs I applied to, so no.

Email from Ryerson MPPA this afternoon:

"Your application has been reviewed for consideration and has been forwarded to the Program Admissions Committee for review.  Once an admission decision has been reached, you will be notified by email."

Literally had a freaking HEART ATTACK when I got the email thinking it was an admission decision. Holy hell.

Edited by belles

On February 19, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Reen said:

Hello,

Congrats...I applied to UBC's MPPGA but my status still shows "in progress". I'm an international applicant by the way.

On February 22, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Du said:

Hello,

Congrats...I applied to UBC's MPPGA but my status still shows "in progress". I'm an international applicant by the way.

Thanks!!

I can't go without hefty program funding though. And not even sure what funding usually looks like for this prog. So it all hinges on that...

On 12/19/2015 at 2:52 PM, devp said:

Sorry, I didn't apply to Carleton nor do I know anyone who did. I applied to U of T, Queens, SFU, Ryerson, UVic, Dal and Waterloo and didn't get into the first 3. Just to note, Queen's is basically 100% grades and resume based. I think you have to have a 3.3 at least to be considered, but from how I take it, not many seem to get in with less than a 3.4/3.5

Aha this isn't great news for me - 3.32cGPA/3.85L2 - was under the impression the L2 was more heavily emphasized by these programs (applying to UofT MPP, Queens MPA). And does "resume based" mean that people are expected to have worked in policy prior to applying? 

Canadian undergrad with a lot of government work experience. Applied to Waterloo MPS, Ryerson MPPA and York MPPAL.

Just letting you guys know that I received an email offering admission into Waterloo today, but haven't heard from the others. Best of luck to everyone!

Well I have gotten accepted to Dalhousie MPA program which has an internship. They want a response by March 17th and I'm not even sure if I will hear back from any other schools by then. Halifax is pretty far away so I hope I get accepted to somewhere closer although I guess it could be an adventure.

I talked to a Prof at Ryerson and he said I should get into York based on my grades but I'm not sure about the program since it's part time and no internship/co op.

Another prof said that Queen's Program is having issues this year so I ended up applying to U of T's MPP instead even though it's a long shot.

Also applied to Carleton, their program seems to be the best suited for me and I've spoken to profs from there as well who were really friendly and helpful. What I really liked about Carleton is they have an amazing Sustainability program which is the field I'm really interested in.

Guess we'll see soon enough how the applications turn out for all of us!

Edited by Herovid

On 2/26/2016 at 3:10 PM, breadtoast said:

Canadian undergrad with a lot of government work experience. Applied to Waterloo MPS, Ryerson MPPA and York MPPAL.

Just letting you guys know that I received an email offering admission into Waterloo today, but haven't heard from the others. Best of luck to everyone!

Hello. If you don't mind my asking, did Waterloo offer a sizable funding package?

Hey everyone,

I got an offer from Queens on Feb 26th for their MPA program. I'm graduating from Carleton with a BA in legal studies (CGPA = 3.0 L2 = 3.7 and I've worked for a municipal utility company in their legal dept for the past 4 summers). I've also applied to memorial for their MA in Environmental Policy and at this point Im not quite sure which one to pick should I also get an offer from Memorial. I've heard good things about Queens but I am particularly interested in engaging in Environmental Policy and therefore Memorial definitely seems to be more attractive. Plus it offers both a one year course based option and a two year thesis route, and compulsory co-op. 

Any advice as to either programs or how I should pick??

Edited by GilmourSL

On 2/27/2016 at 2:57 PM, Herovid said:

Well I have gotten accepted to Dalhousie MPA program which has an internship. They want a response by March 17th and I'm not even sure if I will hear back from any other schools by then. Halifax is pretty far away so I hope I get accepted to somewhere closer although I guess it could be an adventure.

I talked to a Prof at Ryerson and he said I should get into York based on my grades but I'm not sure about the program since it's part time and no internship/co op.

Another prof said that Queen's Program is having issues this year so I ended up applying to U of T's MPP instead even though it's a long shot.

Also applied to Carleton, their program seems to be the best suited for me and I've spoken to profs from there as well who were really friendly and helpful. What I really liked about Carleton is they have an amazing Sustainability program which is the field I'm really interested in.

Hey there, I'm just curious as to what your prof mentioned about Queens? I just received an offer but I'm leaning towards my other potential option at Memorial. Any input would be awesome. Thanks.

Hi all, 

I was wondering if anyone has heard back from UofT yet? I applied to UofT, Carleton, Queens, and the Johnson Shoyama school in Regina. I was accepted into UofR last week, but like most people, UofT is my first option, fingers crossed! 

Good luck to everyone :) 

I am sure all the schools will be sending out offers shortly. 

15 hours ago, GilmourSL said:

Hey there, I'm just curious as to what your prof mentioned about Queens? I just received an offer but I'm leaning towards my other potential option at Memorial. Any input would be awesome. Thanks.

I was asking him advice on my Statement for Carleton and he said it was a really good program and he knew several profs there. I also mentioned I was applying to Dal,Queen's and York but he said not to apply to Queen's because the program is in upheaval and is restructuring. He seems fairly well connected as he said he's been on admissions committees and also an advisor at IPAC.

I ended up applying to U of T's MPP instead even though it's a long shot. I'll try to get some more info from him.

Edited by Herovid

On February 28, 2016 at 0:42 PM, belles said:

Hello. If you don't mind my asking, did Waterloo offer a sizable funding package?

I have not yet received the official offer and will apparently be receiving it in a couple of weeks. The director just emailed to give me a heads up.

Accepted today into queens mpa program.

3.2 gpa

3.7 last two 

159 LSAT (I applied for the dual jd program).

Also have very strong softs and LORS

Will likely be accepting! Was one of my top choices! 

Anybody know how many people they let in each year to the program? 

Hey all, UBC sent their funding offer, following the admissions decision. 10k/year with a March 15th deadline to accept. (I'm international.)

I'm on the fence since I don't have other funding. Does anyone know if this is a small/average/attractive package for intl students (across schools and/or specifically for UBC)? (EDITED TO ADD: Was lurking on other threads just now, and apparently 15k is pretty standard, so 10k is slightly on the lower side?)

On February 27, 2016 at 1:27 AM, Herovid said:

Congrats Herovid! Agreed that's an early deadline and some other schools might not send out offers by then. I'm thinking the same with my UBC deadline.

Also looks like Queen's offers are out... Didn't get one over here :/

Edited by Reen