MPA/MPP Applications, Fall 2016 Start (Canada)

On 3/2/2016 at 6:31 PM, ScotchHudgins said:

I was thinking to send an email and say something like:

"Hello,

I received an offer of admission from another University with a deadline to reply by mid-March. Blank is a top choice for me. I would like to know about the status of my application. Also, is it possible to know about my acceptance before mid-march?"

As another alternative, is it possible to accept an early offer, then withdrew and accept another one that comes along? losing maybe deposits 

Yeah I ended up emailing my top choice something along the lines of that! Hopefully they respond haha! 

6 minutes ago, OPI said:

Did you receive an email from the department asking to fill out a spreadsheet of your grades? 

Yes, i did. Filled and sent back to them, they acknowledged receipt and nothing since then. 

Hey guys! Just received my offer of admission to Carleton's MPPA program! Also received notification of ~32k funding for the two year program. Good luck everyone :)

18 minutes ago, applea said:

Hey guys! Just received my offer of admission to Carleton's MPPA program! Also received notification of ~32k funding for the two year program. Good luck everyone :)

Hey Congrats!

Yay they're finally sending out acceptances! :) Best of luck everyone!! 

17 minutes ago, applea said:

Wow!! congrats :) and thanks for letting us know. Looks like the first round of Carleton offers are trickling out. 

Figured I should contribute since reading everyone elses posts over the past few days has been my lifeline. Just accepted into Queen's MPA today! Still waiting on Carleton like many others. Good luck!

1 minute ago, shinebright said:

Figured I should contribute since reading everyone elses posts over the past few days has been my lifeline. Just accepted into Queen's MPA today! Still waiting on Carleton like many others. Good luck!

awesome, did they say anything about funding? I'm still waiting on Carleton and Toronto.

27 minutes ago, applea said:

Waoh...congrats:)

22 hours ago, applea said:

Congrats! That's super impressive.

I wonder how many offers they sent out on Friday. I imagine you're at the top of their list.

Edited by Cdn19

Hey guys, 

Just a heads up, I spoke with SPPG this morning and was told there isn't a specific date, but offers MIGHT be sent out next week. 

Just received my offer of admission to Carleton with 21k funding over two years! Seems like they are slowly sending them out over last week/ this week, so keep checking your emails! Now to decide between Queen's and Carleton! Does anybody have any insight on Queen's funding, they very vaguely said I would be considered for funding but wondering if there is a way to find out how competitive I am for that?

Hello guys, 

Does anyone know if "recommended for assessment" status is a good sign at Carleton? 

My application status has been changing from: 
1- Preliminary review required
2- Review in progress by department
3- Recommended for assessment (this is my current status)

I highly appreciate if the ones who got admitted could explain to me their process. Just for the record, I am applying for a PhD program in English, but still the process is the same for the entire university, right?

Please please please enlighten me...

Many thanks in advance,

Edited by PhD in English
typo

2 minutes ago, PhD in English said:

Hello guys, 

Does anyone know if "recommended for admissionarrow-10x10.png" status is a good sign at Carleton? 

My applicationarrow-10x10.png status has been changing from: 
1- Preliminary review required
2- Review in progress by department
3- Recommended for admissionarrow-10x10.png (this is my current status)

I highly appreciate if the ones who got admitted could explain to me their process. Just for the record, I am applying forarrow-10x10.png a PhD program in English, but still the process is the same for the entire university, right?

Please please please enlighten me...

Many thanks in advance,

Hey. I applied for the MPPA program, on the weekend my application status was "Recommended for assessment", but this morning it changed to being "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs", then I didn't look at it again and I just received an email offering admission. So I don't know if mine changed to recommended for admission or not, but I do know that I heard pretty soon after it changed to being reviewed 

1 hour ago, shinebright said:

Just received my offer of admission to Carleton with 21k funding over two years! Seems like they are slowly sending them out over last week/ this week, so keep checking your emails! Now to decide between Queen's and Carleton! Does anybody have any insight on Queen's funding, they very vaguely said I would be considered for funding but wondering if there is a way to find out how competitive I am for that?

Congrats on Carleton! I don't know if there is a way to properly assess chance of Queen's funding, because they say they consider grades, SOPs, reference letters (your whole application profile basically) and choose the top/deserving candidates from the pool that accepts the offers. All I know is I think they generally give less funding than Carleton but its a year shorter. 

Edited by ScotchHudgins

8 minutes ago, macroecon16 said:

Hey. I applied for the MPPA program, on the weekend my application status was "Recommended for assessment", but this morning it changed to being "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs", then I didn't look at it again and I just received an email offering admission. So I don't know if mine changed to recommended for admission or not, but I do know that I heard pretty soon after it changed to being reviewed 

Thanks a lot... sorry it was a typing mistake... mine is "Recommended for assessment" not admission... I guess the hallucination of "admission" is taking over all my attention. Congratulations!!! I hope you are happy with the offer :) 

56 minutes ago, shinebright said:

I was told in my offer of admission to Queens that I would receive a minimum of 5k in funding, with additional scholarship opportunities available to me upon acceptance of my offer. I've yet to accept the offer, though (I have until the 17th) but I can let you know if/how much more they offer if I do! I think it's a considerably less expensive program than Carlton, though, since it's 1 year and not 2. 

30 minutes ago, Mulcair's Beard said:

Hi all, Carleton MPPA student here.

Just a heads up, word on the street is that there was a massive increase in admissions this year, so don't be too worried about not receiving a response yet. And feel free to ask me any questions you might have about relative programs!

Why are they admitting more students this year? 

32 minutes ago, Mulcair's Beard said:

Hi all, Carleton MPPA student here.

Just a heads up, word on the street is that there was a massive increase in admissions this year, so don't be too worried about not receiving a response yet. And feel free to ask me any questions you might have about relative programs!

Hello,

Nice to have you here, im an international applicant to the mppa programme. Are there alot of international students in the programme? Africans maybe?

On 3/1/2016 at 4:03 AM, Reen said:

Hey all, UBC sent their funding offer, following the admissions decision. 10k/year with a March 15th deadline to accept. (I'm international.)

I'm on the fence since I don't have other funding. Does anyone know if this is a small/average/attractive package for intl students (across schools and/or specifically for UBC)? (EDITED TO ADD: Was lurking on other threads just now, and apparently 15k is pretty standard, so 10k is slightly on the lower side?)

Also into UBC MPPGA last week with a 10k/year scholarship - and the same stressfully soon March 15th deadline. I'm keen on the program as it means I can stay in Vancouver, but I'm worried as it's such a new program that the internships/"culture" or community of it have not been established yet... Does anyone have any insight on this?

Weighing the UBC option alongside my offer for Munk MGA with 12.5k/year, and also the March 15th deadline to accept. Still waiting on SFU MPP and UofT MPP, worried I will not hear back until after the March 15th deadline. 

Hey guys, I'm James, a first year MPP student at U of T. I was just thinking about how nerve racking it was last year around this time, and I just wanna tell you guys a few things if you're waiting on U of T: 

1. We found out March 6 for first round last year, but since the application deadline this year was a week later, I'm guessing the first round will probably go out next Monday.

2. If you're worrying about funding, don't freak out. I honestly wouldn't let that determine whether you pick another university over U of T. If you qualify for student loans, you will likely receive A LOT of grant money from UTAPS. They didn't really make that clear last year, and there was a lot of anxiety. My OSAP assessed need was $23,800, OSAP maxed out at 12,000, and UTAPs forked out $11,800. You don't have to pay that back. Also, if you already have loans, you'll probably have some of it forgiven by OSAP. I had $4000 forgiven last year. You'll also likely get a $3000 entrance scholarship. All-in all, if you're like me you'll only pay a couple grand out of pocket plus living expenses. The network that the University has with the public sector is amazing, and your job prospects out of this program will be well worth the investment. 

3. You have the ability to ask other schools that have accepted you if you can hold off on answering if the deadline for accepting is before the first round at U of T goes out. They're usually really nice, and it doesn't hurt to ask. 

Shoot me a message if you have any questions about the program, or you need someone to tell you it's all going to be ok. We have a tight-knit grad network here, and we're eager to help you out. 

Good luck!

Hey guys,

So I have so far been accepted to SFU MPP and UVic MPA and I am really struggling to decide between the two. Does anyone know which program is better? They seem relatively comparable in terms of class sizes and coops. I like the UVic program a little better but I don't know how I feel about living on the island, and I know I love downtown Vancouver which is where the MPP program is located. Any thoughts would be appreciated :)