Is it easier to get accepted in physical/theoretical chemistry?

chem2015

When I first considered applying, I spoke to either the department chair or the graduate student advisor of a mid tier school in/around Boston.  I was deciding between p-chem and inorganic--less popular subfields.  I definitely picked up from him that they were very eager to get students in those areas.  

This was about 6 years ago.

I cant speak for physical experimentalists, but as a theorist I'm pretty sure the competition is just as tough: since there are fewer theory faculty, they would admit fewer applicants. These students generally have strong math/comp sci background, and/or have theoretical chemistry research experience. 

I don't notice a consistent difference between fields over multiple years. A particular department might want more of one than another in a given year to balance things out.

Grad school is competitive overall, and schools want students that have shown they're consistently interested in the area they plan to study.