Reapplying for better funding--does anyone do this?

Colocho

First off, apologies if this is posted in the wrong section. I've searched around but can't find answers to my questions.

I'm considering applying for MA programs in international relations, but am not ready to commit to a degree yet. I'd like to apply this cycle to see what happens, and hopefully I'll be able to figure out my career plans out a little between now and if I'm accepted. I believe I have a strong application (3.9 GPA, 3+ years intl work experience in human rights, 158/159 GRE--can't remember which is which, I took it ages ago!).

I'm very interested in the international law and organizations program at SAIS, but $ is an issue. Furthermore I'm concerned that my lower GRE scores could preclude me from a scholarship. If I apply this year to see what happens, and I'm accepted with no funding, could I re-apply next cycle with better GRE scores in hopes of getting funded? Or do top programs look down upon this practice?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

How long ago did you take the GRE?  If it's been more than 5 years then you'll have to retake them anyway.  Your GRE score is by no means low.  It's the average score for accepted students.  They definitely do NOT look down on reapplying with better GRE scores trying to get funding.  I'd retake them and spend a lot of time on your essays.  It could help with funding.  

I'm interested in the same program as you.  What kind of work are you looking to get into upon graduation?  

Thanks for the advice! I'm currently studying for the LSAT so I don't think I'll have time to retake the GREs this cycle. I'll probably apply and see what happens. I took the GRE 4 years ago so I should still be OK.

Upon graduation I'm hoping to work in the non-profit world for an organization that aids in the creation of legal systems abroad. Definitely not interested in working for the state department or the government in any capacity.

What about you? And where else are you planning on applying? Did you consider law school, for example a JD/LLM with a concentration in international law?

I was accepted to SAIS two years ago but ultimately turned it down due to lack of funding.  I'm looking to get into the non-profit sector with either a human rights NGO or a DC based think tank.  It's hard to pay full price at SAIS when your future career interests pay relatively small salaries, so I understand your hesitation.  I'm also applying to SFS and GWU.  My GRE was 162V 161Q which may be a tad higher than yours but my undergrad GPA was a mere 3.25.  We all have our strengths and weaknesses.  I'd say your numbers will make you competitive for funding, especially if you have some solid work experience, LORs  and essays.  

Colocho, if government work is out for you, that precludes quite a lot of jobs, not to mention you'll find many of those nonprofit opportunities are actually funded by some government entity. I'd suggest you check out SIPA and/or Columbia Law; the New York orbit feels quite distinct from the all-gov-all-the-time frenzy of DC - though NYC is considerably (exponentially?) more frenetic than DC.  

Anyway, Columbia has quite a lot of interesting stuff going on in civil society - not to mention their natural UN focus - that I sense might be up your alley. 

Edited by went_away

Applying and then deferring a year to try and get scholarships the second time around is not usually going to work out. Many of the funding decisions happen simultaneously with the admissions cycle and scholarship offers are used to recruit people to the school. Therefore, if you accept your place at a school and then defer, they don't have much incentive to give you a scholarship the second year because you've already committed.

What I suggest you do instead is apply to a range of schools—say 6-8 schools, all of which you'd be happy to go to. Then, send your most generous offer to all your other schools and ask if they can increase your financial aid or match it. That works quite a bit with my clients, and as long as you ask in writing, courteously, and don't make any ultimatums ("I can't attend your school unless...") it's all fine.

I wrote a blog post about how to do this in detail.

Best of luck!

Kaneisha

Thanks for the reply Kaneisha. Do you think that the situation would be any different if I outright decline an offer instead of deferring? And then re-applying the following cycle with better GRE scores, more relevant work experience, and better LORs.