Is it possible to work with an emeritus(a) professor?

Marshalltown

I've been looking into a variety of archaeology programs, specifically ones for the archaeology North American prehistory. Searching has led me to find a number of my archaeology idols listed as faculty members at the universities, however a number of them are listed as "professor emeritus/emerita." Is it possible to still work with an emeritus professor, or are they retired for good and just listed with other faculty for show?

[In other words, can my dream of working with one of these people come true, or is it time to crush this dream and move on?]

From my understanding, it usually depends on the professor in question.  Most of them probably won't be willing to take on graduate students but will be willing to sit in on the committee or something of the sort.  I'd say just email them and ask if they are willing to accept graduate students or participate in another capacity.

Emeritus faculty are listed on department webpages as a formality. In my program, I don't know of a single grad student who has ever worked with retired faculty. Perhaps consultations, but not in any official capacity. I've even been told not to put professors on my committee that are within a few years of retirement, since retired faculty are unlikely to write letters and do the hard leg work of getting you a job post-graduation.

My experience matches farflung's. You may be able to count on a consultation or maybe assisting them with a "loose ends" kind of project that they're just now getting around to, but you absolutely should not apply to any program specifically to work with an emeritus/emerita professor.