MSW Fall 2016 CSULB, CSULA, CSUDH, CSUF, USC

ginabina

I applied to csula, csudh, and csulb..I applied for advanced standing for csulb and csula (their first year doing this). And the two year for csudh. Csulb has waitlisted me. I received email for interview for csula, which is where I am a current bsw student. I interviewed for csula advanced standing on March 3rd, haven't heard anything back yet. I would love to stay at csula, but I will attend whichever school is meant for me. 

I have minimal volunteer hours, 4 years working in human services related fields and a 3.52 overall gpa.

Edited by SekaiDenise

5 hours ago, SekaiDenise said:

I applied to csula, csudh, and csulb..I applied for advanced standing for csulb and csula (their first year doing this). And the two year for csudh. Csulb has waitlisted me. I received email for interview for csula, which is where I am a current bsw student. I interviewed for csula advanced standing on March 3rd, haven't heard anything back yet. I would love to stay at csula, but I will attend whichever school is meant for me. 

I have minimal volunteer hours, 4 years working in human services related fields and a 3.52 overall gpa.

Sekai how do you like the CSULA campus? I've applied to the same schools as you but for the two year programs. Initially CSULB was my first choice, but the more I read about CSULA it's making me second guess that. 

Hi Ginabina,

I like it alot, the campus is cool, parking is a nightmare though, they jist opened an off campus lot with cheaper parking and a shuttle to campus. I love the faculty, I've only had one teacher that I didn't like and it was for a theme class. Social work faculty are really dedicated to their students' success.

I emailed the admissions coordinator at CSULA and she said they still have a ways to go with applications. She said she suspects letters will be going out as late as early June.  

5 hours ago, ginabina said:

I emailed the admissions coordinator at CSULA and she said they still have a ways to go with applications. She said she suspects letters will be going out as late as early June.  

Omg! That's so far away...I received an acceptance letter today for csudh 2 year program...as of now that is my plan unless I get into csula's one year program or csulb accepts me off the waitlist. 

On Wednesday, March 02, 2016 at 8:31 AM, pinkofmyheart123 said:

Hey all! I got a provisional acceptance to Cal State La's MSW program on Feb 7th. I submitted my packet to them on Dec 4. They mailed me paper work to fax back to them that included a Letter of Intent and Statement of Commitment to the program. Additionally, I had to submit the field placement paper work to one of their offices which I did on Feb 26th. My acceptance was provisional because they needed to see my grades from last semester, which was my last semester of undergrad.

Finally, I received an acceptance email from Cal State LA's MSW program this morning at 5am! My GPA is a 3.82.

I'm still waiting to hear back from UCLA! Good luck everyone.

Did you apply for the one year or two year program at csula?

12 hours ago, SekaiDenise said:

Omg! That's so far away...I received an acceptance letter today for csudh 2 year program...as of now that is my plan unless I get into csula's one year program or csulb accepts me off the waitlist. 

I'm guessing people applying for the one year program won't have to wait as long as the people applying for the 2 year program. Hopefully, you will hear soon. When did you submit your application to CSUDH? Did they send you anything prior to your acceptance? I got my Bachelors from CSUDH and I really liked the school, so while it isn't my first choice, I would be happy to keep going there. 

I submitted my application to CSULA on January 13, 2016, got my provisional acceptance letter in the mail on March 7 and submitted all the documents required on March 16. All i'm waiting for now is for my GPA to be verified, was told this could take several weeks though because of Finals and Break.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my interview at CSUF on 3/24 and it was pretty short.  Just very basic questions like what made you decide to apply to CSUF for the MSW program and what potential groups would be hardest for you to work with?  They only asked seven questions.  I asked them like ten in return but I think they already kind of know who they want because they dont really spend much time on the interviews or seem all that interested in responding to your questions.

I have a masters in counseling, 3.72 GPA, quite a bit of volunteer experience in the field of Geriatrics.  Haven't heard anything back in like almost two weeks.  I emailed them the day after thanking them for the interview and asking when approximately would I hear back.  

Hi boba time! 

I had my interview at Csuf on 3/23

i just got the email yesterday, saying that I am admitted to the program.

I did notice however, that I was able to accept on my portal the night before. I just kept checking and checking. Fingers crossed for you!

13 hours ago, Bobatime2002 said:

I had my interview at CSUF on 3/24 and it was pretty short.  Just very basic questions like what made you decide to apply to CSUF for the MSW program and what potential groups would be hardest for you to work with?  They only asked seven questions.  I asked them like ten in return but I think they already kind of know who they want because they dont really spend much time on the interviews or seem all that interested in responding to your questions.

I have a masters in counseling, 3.72 GPA, quite a bit of volunteer experience in the field of Geriatrics.  Haven't heard anything back in like almost two weeks.  I emailed them the day after thanking them for the interview and asking when approximately would I hear back.  

What sort of questions did you ask them?

I'm sure you did great! From what I've read with other applicants, it typically takes them two weeks after the interview to get back to you with a decision. You're almost there!! :)

I asked them some the following:

What is their expertise in social work?

How do they relax and do self-care?  (Our interview seemed to cover that topic somehow so I decided to ask them how they do it)

What do they imagine for the future of the program at CSUF and their role.  (Duan Tran for example is no longer the admissions coordinator but is taking on different opportunities now)

What excites them about coming to work at CSUf everyday?

And a few others.

I had my interview yesterday with CSUF. I was really confident walking out of the interview, I thought it went REALLY well. 

Also, I got a rejection from CSULB today (which I was kind of expecting given my lack of experience). 

6 hours ago, MSWinmyfuture said:

I had my interview yesterday with CSUF. I was really confident walking out of the interview, I thought it went REALLY well. 

Also, I got a rejection from CSULB today (which I was kind of expecting given my lack of experience). 

Hey sorry about LB, but if you don't mind me asking, were you put on pending status?

2 hours ago, Bobatime2002 said:

That sounds pretty good.  How long was the interview and what did they ask you?  Did you ask them when you would find out about their decision?  Good luck :-)

The interview lasted about 15 minutes. They asked me the same questions as everyone else. I didn't ask them when we would hear but from everything I've seen on here it should take about 2 weeks. 

2 hours ago, ANM said:

Hey sorry about LB, but if you don't mind me asking, were you put on pending status?

No. I was never put on a pending status just got a rejection. Every time I checked through the portal, it said that it was in departmental review until I got an email about the rejection. 

39 minutes ago, MSWinmyfuture said:

No. I was never put on a pending status just got a rejection. Every time I checked through the portal, it said that it was in departmental review until I got an email about the rejection. 

Oh okay I see I see. I'm sorry to hear that!

18 hours ago, Bobatime2002 said:

That sounds pretty good.  How long was the interview and what did they ask you?  Did you ask them when you would find out about their decision?  Good luck :-)

Hi bobatime! I asked in my interview about how long I could expect to hear back. They told me that they will be letting people know up until mid May. Also, in my acceptance email, it said I needed to respond by April 18. So maybe they tell people in separate batches? I'm not sure. Hope this helps! 

On April 6, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Csufmsw said:

Hi boba time! 

I had my interview at Csuf on 3/23

i just got the email yesterday, saying that I am admitted to the program.

I did notice however, that I was able to accept on my portal the night before. I just kept checking and checking. Fingers crossed for you!

Do you remember what it used to say on your portal before it said that you were accepted? And was it in application status or the accept/decline portion?

Hi all!

So I just got my acceptance to CSUDH on Monday (April 11), and I heard from CSULB way back in January that I had been wait listed. Still waiting to hear if I will be accepted. Are they seriously going to make us wait until July??

17 minutes ago, rilotta said:

Hi all!

So I just got my acceptance to CSUDH on Monday (April 11), and I heard from CSULB way back in January that I had been wait listed. Still waiting to hear if I will be accepted. Are they seriously going to make us wait until July??

Congrats! When did you submit your application to CSUDH?