Do I have to submit bad vocational school grade in my PhD application?

ArchieLi

Hello,

Before I went to university, I studied at a vocational school for four semesters. I did not fail any course and received two diplomas, but the grade look bad. I received 1 year credits from these two diplomas when enrolling in university. I did quite ok with my bachelor and master degree and my GPAs was 3.82 and 4 respectively, calculated by WES. 

My question is, as I'm afraid that the grade of my vocational school is going to be a significant shortcoming in my PhD application, what would happen if I don't submit the transcript? Now I can 1) submit neither my transcript  nor the diploma; 2) submit my diploma but not transcript and 3) submit both.

I received all the diplomas and degrees in Australia. 

Thanks. 

You should follow the instructions on the application as they are stated. Some ask for all post-secondary transcripts and you should submit them in this case. I would not be worried about the low GPA there though because it does not sound like your vocational school work is relevant to your PhD application? Also, your more recent academic performance would be considered much more highly than these old grades.

You should follow the instructions on the application as they are stated. Some ask for all post-secondary transcripts and you should submit them in this case. I would not be worried about the low GPA there though because it does not sound like your vocational school work is relevant to your PhD application? Also, your more recent academic performance would be considered much more highly than these old grades.

Thank you for your response! Guess I'd have to follow the instructions and submit these transcripts. But I'm less worried now.

• 1 month later...

Figured I should give this post a bump. As I'm nearly finished with my applications, I noticed almost all schools I apply for asked for transcripts from colleges where I "received degree". I earned not degrees but certificates from my vocational school, so I'm quite confused here. My undergraduate transcript specifies that I received 1 year credit from vocational school.

Would it be regarded as dishonest if I don't submit my vocational school grade? 

9 hours ago, ArchieLi said:

Figured I should give this post a bump. As I'm nearly finished with my applications, I noticed almost all schools I apply for asked for transcripts from colleges where I "received degree". I earned not degrees but certificates from my vocational school, so I'm quite confused here. My undergraduate transcript specifies that I received 1 year credit from vocational school.

Would it be regarded as dishonest if I don't submit my vocational school grade? 

I think the best thing to do is to just ask the school. You can ask the central Graduate School, not the individual department and you don't have to identify yourself so they won't trace it to your application. They would not do this anyways, but if that is a concern, then just don't give your name.

I also encountered a lot of applications that say only transcripts from schools from which I received a degree was necessary, however, they had an exception that for international students, all post-secondary transcripts were required. 

13 hours ago, TakeruK said:

I think the best thing to do is to just ask the school. You can ask the central Graduate School, not the individual department and you don't have to identify yourself so they won't trace it to your application. They would not do this anyways, but if that is a concern, then just don't give your name.

I also encountered a lot of applications that say only transcripts from schools from which I received a degree was necessary, however, they had an exception that for international students, all post-secondary transcripts were required. 

Thank you very much! I have contacted those schools and they did ask me to submit vocational school transcripts, guess I'd better do so.