Non traditional/ Teacher background any tips

Dxr0018

Hello All,

I am applying for Fall 2016 and am now questioning myself, I just completed my 2nd BA this summer and had been feeling real positive and motivated. I am coming from a nontraditional background and have lately wondered if I even have a shot this time around? I am now realizing my chances are not good and plan to observe or assist an Audiologist in the meantime.  Anyhow, anyone from a non-traditional background such as education get in and do you have any tips? Thanks in advance.

In short, this is my background:

Bachelor's in English GPA 3.7

Master's in Library Science GPA 3.9

2nd Bachelor's in Communicative Disorders GPA 3.3

GRE- taking it in a month

10 years teaching experience (including a couple HOH students, much experience with IEPs)

30 hours SLP observation

I notice quite a few people have hours in hearing screenings and such. I am planning to remedy this. Anyhow thanks for your input. 

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I know this is an old thread and application season is over (and I hope you did well!), but I figure future AuD hopefuls will likely have the same or similar questions.

I myself have a teaching background, a completely unrelated liberal arts BA with a good but not great GPA, and no observation hours or any practical COMD experience. I took all the necessary prerequisite courses online with USU but didn't finish the 2nd bachelor's. To my surprise, I was accepted to almost every program I applied to.

I think the key is to have a fully realized idea of why you want to pursue the AuD, and also to bring your unique background and life experiences into your application essay and interview. As an experienced professional, you probably have a lot of valuable insight which students coming straight from their COMD undergrad programs don't necessarily have. Think about how you can use that to your advantage in graduate school to benefit not only you, but also your clients and your fellow students. 

It probably also helped that my COMD grades and GRE scores were stellar, but I also got the impression that admissions committees place a very high value on diverse backgrounds in communication sciences. So I encourage anyone from out-of-field to do their best at the soonest available application season. You  might be pleasantly surprised. :)