Grad School Applicant Overall Profile: What are my chances?

P16

Hi I am applying for graduate school for Fall 2016

Here are my stats

Overall GPA: 3.75

Major GPA: 3.80

2 years of research experience

1 REU at Baylor

One manuscript in process

One ACS regional presentation

GRE Scores

150 V

151 Q

3.5 W

Additional: African-American Female, ACS Historian, Alpha Chi Honor Society Member

Top Schools

Rice

Emory

Safety Schools

University of Houston

University of Notre Dame

Baylor University

University of Pittsburgh

I am very worried of my acceptance. Can anyone provide insight? Thanks! :)

HI,

I would try to add some more "safety schools". The safety schools you posted are really competitive, and you might end up struggling to get there. If you can present your GRE again... DO IT!!! That would increase your chances of getting  accepted everywhere (your GRE scores aren't the best)

Before spending (wasting) money on retaking the GRE, ask the programs you're applying to if they have cutoffs for the GRE and how much the admissions committee cares about them. The chemistry department at my university (top 15) doesn't even bother to open the score reports they get sent (although for international students it's a different story), so unless one or more of the programs really cares about them, it may not be worth it to retake.

With those GRE scores, I wouldn't consider your "safety schools" as that safe. For example, you'd be in the lowest quartile for all of your GRE scores, and in the middle quartiles for your GPA.

He is right! Why the downvote? :unsure:

Every school considers each aspect of your application differently, and I know for a fact that 2 schools you listed care quite a bit about GRE. Your GRE is not so-so, it is seriously low (not even 50% for Quant...) Now the important question is what division you are applying to, and does your research experience match with your POI's research interest?

• 3 months later...
On 10/20/2015 at 9:17 PM, GradSchoolTruther said:

With those GRE scores, I wouldn't consider your "safety schools" as that safe. For example, you'd be in the lowest quartile for all of your GRE scores, and in the middle quartiles for your GPA.

On 10/21/2015 at 9:27 AM, alejandromolina said:

HI,

I would try to add some more "safety schools". The safety schools you posted are really competitive, and you might end up struggling to get there. If you can present your GRE again... DO IT!!! That would increase your chances of getting  accepted everywhere (your GRE scores aren't the best)

On 10/21/2015 at 4:35 PM, Cookie said:

He is right! Why the downvote? :unsure:

Every school considers each aspect of your application differently, and I know for a fact that 2 schools you listed care quite a bit about GRE. Your GRE is not so-so, it is seriously low (not even 50% for Quant...) Now the important question is what division you are applying to, and does your research experience match with your POI's research interest?

I got into all my schools. Top and Safety! GRE does not matter! hahaha