A few questions about Princeton and other things

kasserole

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the dept of Anthropology at Princeton. It's my first choice PhD program. I'm wondering if it is less competitive since 1) it is a top 30 program, not top 10 and 2) it is primarily focused on just sociocultural anthro, not in conjunction with archaeology or bioanth like most programs. Has anyone heard about the ratio of the accepted cohort to number of applicants in a given cycle? Any insight at all about the program at Princeton would be great.

In my SOP for the program I talk about how 6 different professors there have done work that aligns with my interests, and how that work can support my research. Is this ok? Is 6 too much? I also discuss how my proposed methodology fits in with their methodological orientations. I think that these all demonstrate a good fit, but I'm still feeling doubtful. Would love to hear any insight into the best ways to demonstrate "fit." I worry that I'm being too specific by talking about my fit with the specific works the professors have done, rather than their overall work, but it's hard to comment on their overall work in relation to mine because they are all very accomplished and have done many things, and not all of their work necessarily compliments mine, just some of it. 

I am also curious about the level of research experience applicants usually have in Anthro. I've done a thesis, two independent research projects and a field school. I'm taking a year off now and have spent the summer in the field I want to work in. It's hard to gage just how competitive of an applicant I am when I'm not sure who I'll be up against, and I only have a BA.

Edited by kasserole

1) It's still competitive because sociocultural anthropology programs are really competitive, especially ones which offer full funding.

2) 6 does seem like too many, especially since it's unlikely you would have six people on your dissertation committee.

Why, hello! I'm a current PhD student in anthropology at Princeton, and I'd be happy to exchange PMs about my experiences here so far. To answer your initial questions:

1) Like you, I also saw Princeton's spot on the NRC anthropology rankings and was a bit concerned as to whether I should apply -- but the NRC rankings aren't really official rankings like you might have for economics PhD programs; they're more a range of various assessments -- and so they carry considerably less weight. I think at this level, especially in anthropology, it's less about department rankings and institutional prestige (though these things obviously still matter), and more about who is on your committee, if you are working with the top people in your particular areas of anthropological interest, etc -- they will link you into the circles you want/need to be in, regardless of institutional affiliation. For what it's worth, all of my other PhD offers were NRC top 10 schools, and I have no regrets about turning them down for Princeton, because it was such a good fit for my interests and had such productive scholars working on things I was curious about (also, I don't think a four-field program is more prestigious than a school with a strictly sociocultural program -- I have actually heard the opposite from several people [but everyone's got their opinion...])!). Also, Princeton stipends are one of, if not the best, funding packages in anthropology. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the inner workings of the admissions process, so I can't speak to how many applicants they get, but recent incoming cohorts have ranged from 5-10 people.

2) I think it's very rare to have 6 people on a committee, but the more faculty members you can mention in your SOP, the better (as long as the connection between your interests and theirs is substantial rather than superficial)! I mentioned four in mine, and also reached out to them during the admissions process -- feel free to do the same. Any fit you can demonstrate -- theoretical, ethnographic, methodological -- should help your case.

3) From what I've seen, a master's is by no means necessary, so no sweat about "just" a BA, but I think most students here had some sort of fieldwork experience before applying, often in a less structured environment than a field school (I can share my academic/research background with you via PM). Princeton is the sort of department that seems open to students switching fieldwork locations, but it's nice to show admissions committees, if you can, that you've done more than armchair anthropology in class.

Hope that's somewhat helpful -- feel free to PM!

Just to follow up on this -- I've gotten several PMs based on this post, both from the original poster and others, so I thought I'd open it up and say that of course anyone is welcome to PM me about my background, application experiences, etc, whether interested in Princeton or not! It's so lovely to hear from all of you.

NRC rankings aren't really official rankings like you might have for economics PhD programs; they're more a range of various assessments -- and so they carry considerably less weight. I think at this level, especially in anthropology, it's less about department rankings and institutional prestige (though these things obviously still matter), and more about who is on your committee, if you are working with the top people in your particular areas of anthropological interest, etc -- they will link you into the circles you want/need to be in, regardless of institutional affiliation. For what it's worth, all of my other PhD offers were NRC top 10 schools, and I have no regrets about turning them down for Princeton, because it was such a good fit for my interests and had such productive scholars working on things I was curious about (also, I don't think a four-field program is more prestigious than a school with a strictly sociocultural program -- I have actually heard the opposite from several people [but everyone's got their opinion...])!). Also, Princeton stipends are one of, if not the best, funding packages in anthropology. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the inner workings of the admissions process, so I can't speak to how many applicants they get, but recent incoming cohorts have ranged from 5-10 people.

2) I think it's very rare to have 6 people on a committee, but the more faculty members you can mention in your SOP, the better (as long as the connection between your interests and theirs is substantial rather than superficial)! I mentioned four in mine, and also reached out to them during the admissions process -- feel free to do the same. Any fit you can demonstrate -- theoretical, ethnographic, methodological -- should help your case.

3) From what I've seen, a master's is by no means necessary, so no sweat about "just" a BA, but I think most students here had some sort of fieldwork experience before applying, often in a less structured environment than a field school (I can share my academic/research background with you via PM). Princeton is the sort of department that seems open to students switching fieldwork locations, but it's nice to show admissions committees, if you can, that you've done more than armchair anthropology in class.

Hope that's somewhat helpful -- feel free to PM!

Great advice! Princeton seems like a good program, I've always had excellent impressions of their faculty.

On the topic of "institutional prestige" - I think it can get you a foot in the door and perhaps get your CV read more closely, so rankings/prestige are not useless. But for sure, you do NOT have to go to a "top 10" NRC school to have a tenure track anthro job one day. You do need a strong committee with excellent connections in your corner of the discipline, published articles, good performance on grants, etc.

Also, I'd like to point out that a place like Princeton has institutional prestige (because it's an ivy) that kind of makes up for it not being in the "top 10." The social capital gained from being enrolled in the ivy league is real, even at the graduate level. So, for example, I would think #30 Princeton (I don't actually know the number rankings) is going to look better on your CV than #29 XYZ middle state university. 

But the things I listed above (committee, publishing record, grants, etc) are what count the most. 

I am also curious about the level of research experience applicants usually have in Anthro. I've done a thesis, two independent research projects and a field school. I'm taking a year off now and have spent the summer in the field I want to work in. It's hard to gage just how competitive of an applicant I am when I'm not sure who I'll be up against, and I only have a BA.

In my view, this is definitely sufficient experience to be admitted to top Anthro PhD programs with just a BA. A few questions come up - What were you doing in the summer you spent in your field site (is it relevant to proposed project)? Do you know your field languages? Were your independent research projects ethnographic, or within the discipline of Anthropology in some way? 

Hi farflung,

Glad to hear. To answer your questions:

1. It was an apprenticeship that was directly relevant to my proposed project, yes. I did the apprenticeship with the intention of gaining some experience there and inspiration for future research.

2. I want to work in the U.S. and it's probably for the best since I am pretty horrid at learning languages due to my learning disability (auditory processing delay).

3. All of my independent research projects were anthropological, using ethnographic research methods (field school was archaeological though, obvi). My BA thesis, an ethnography which helped shape my current research interests, was awarded high honor in the Anthropology department at my college.

Edited by kasserole

Hi farflung,

Glad to hear. To answer your questions:

1. It was an apprenticeship that was directly relevant to my proposed project, yes. I did the apprenticeship with the intention of gaining some experience there and inspiration for future research.

2. I want to work in the U.S. and it's probably for the best since I am pretty horrid at learning languages due to my learning disability (auditory processing delay).

3. All of my independent research projects were anthropological, using ethnographic research methods (field school was archaeological though, obvi). My BA thesis, an ethnography which helped shape my current research interests, was awarded high honor in the Anthropology department at my college.

It sounds like you should have NO problem showing how prepared you are for grad school then. Breathe easy! You'll be fine - you have enough research experience in my view.