Fall 2016 Geography Applications

nevermind

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad this thread got started!

My research interests are in critical geography---I want to study the pervasive effect of governmentality and settler colonialism upon the lives Native Americans, as well as the acts of resistance and resilience that Native Americans have taken against this colonial governmentality.

I'm applying to Minnesota, Wisconsin-Madison, Ohio State, Syracuse, Kentucky and Kansas. All are top programs but I have faith I'll at least get into one of those programs...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am interested in Remote Sensing and GIS and their application for Land surface studies, surface hydrology and natural hazards predictions. I am a PhD applicant and I am actively searching for positions in my area of interest for Fall 2016. My background is as following:

- GRE: 151 Q, 146 V

- TOEFL iBT 90

- GPA 3.7

- 2 published papers in peer reviewed journals

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my Ph.D. apps in Geography...applying to Oregon & Wisconsin-Madison (with applications in History/Science Studies elsewhere). 

My research interests are human geography, water technology, environmental history (specifically focusing on the Middle East), religious history and identity, political ecology, resource conflict and territoriality, and STS.

I have two Master's degrees, one (no-name institution, religion) with a 3.7 and one (Ivy, agriculture and development) with a 3.99 GPA. My B.A. (English and religion) was an atrocious 2.85 (cumulative), but at least it is from almost 15 years ago. :)

My GRE scores are a little mixed: 165 (verbal), 148 (quant), and a 4.5 AW. 

-1 published paper (in a book that was published from a conference I presented at), 1 poster contribution 

-Adjunct 6 courses (in English and Religion)

-TA for 3 courses (two in a Near Eastern Studies department and one in a Biological and Environmental Engineering department).

-3 years of Hebrew, 1 year of Levantine Arabic

-Research on 3 projects, including my Master's project on water sustainability. 

I've worked the past three years as a copywriter and a technical writer, so hopefully, my writing sample and personal statement are decent. :)

Good luck to everybody that is applying!

interested in human geography too. Looking at human dimensions of environmental changes in mountain environment, plus in a transboundary context. Applied to geo depts at u washington and unc-chapel hill.. But also applied to environment/natural resource programs. Good luck to everyone, wanna-be geographers!  

Hey all!

Curious to see if anyone else has applied to the Dept. of Earth and Environment at BU? 

Personally, I'm interested in biogeochemistry/ecosystem science in the context of nutrient cycling and carbon fluxes across regions of transitional land use.  Hence, I've applied to not only geography programs, but also labs rooted in biology and ecology.

Best of luck to you all this application season!

55 minutes ago, biogeochem said:

Hey all!

Curious to see if anyone else has applied to the Dept. of Earth and Environment at BU? 

Personally, I'm interested in biogeochemistry/ecosystem science in the context of nutrient cycling and carbon fluxes across regions of transitional land use.  Hence, I've applied to not only geography programs, but also labs rooted in biology and ecology.

I didn't, but it sounds really interesting! Keep us posted! 

Did anyone else apply to CU Boulder? It is my dream school and I feel like my potential advisor and I are such a perfect match! I know the program is so competitive and I am trying not to get my hopes up, but it is so hard when I feel like it is just perfect for me! When I talked to my potential advisor on the phone last December about the program (for almost an hour), he said I have a good chance of getting a TA position. I really felt like we hit it off but he only is accepting one or two students!! I am an out-of-state student and I am worried that will negatively affect my chances since out-of-state students are more expensive to fund (I am applying for my Masters, by the way). Just for reference, I have a 3.98 GPA in the last two years of my undergraduate (all my major courses), my GRE scores are okay but not great (154 Q/158V/4.0 writing), and obtained some climate change research experience last fall in the Canadian Arctic. I know I have great LORs as well. I know that my chances are probably incredibly slim considering he only accepts one or two students, depending on funding. Does anyone know when they usually start notifying applicants? I am trying not to obsess over it (obviously not doing a very good job) and I know I probably have a while until I hear back, but the suspense is killing me!

Thank you in advance for any advice and thank you for reading my post!

Good luck to everyone!!!

4 hours ago, kjweber said:

Did anyone else apply to CU Boulder? It is my dream school and I feel like my potential advisor and I are such a perfect match! I know the program is so competitive and I am trying not to get my hopes up, but it is so hard when I feel like it is just perfect for me! When I talked to my potential advisor on the phone last December about the program (for almost an hour), he said I have a good chance of getting a TA position. I really felt like we hit it off but he only is accepting one or two students!! I am an out-of-state student and I am worried that will negatively affect my chances since out-of-state students are more expensive to fund (I am applying for my Masters, by the way). Just for reference, I have a 3.98 GPA in the last two years of my undergraduate (all my major courses), my GRE scores are okay but not great (154 Q/158V/4.0 writing), and obtained some climate change research experience last fall in the Canadian Arctic. I know I have great LORs as well. I know that my chances are probably incredibly slim considering he only accepts one or two students, depending on funding. Does anyone know when they usually start notifying applicants? I am trying not to obsess over it (obviously not doing a very good job) and I know I probably have a while until I hear back, but the suspense is killing me!

Thank you in advance for any advice and thank you for reading my post!

Good luck to everyone!!!

I thought about applying to Boulder, but I've heard it can be quite expensive to live there, and there was not as good of a fit with my research interests. However, it looks and sounds like it is a perfect fit for you! :)

Judging from the results search page, most people got their decisions in early to mid March, with the recruit/admitted student visit invites being sent out around that same time. Good luck to you as well--your research interests and experience sound super cool!

On 2015/12/27 at 5:50 PM, Soushiant said:

I am interested in Remote Sensing and GIS and their application for Land surface studies, surface hydrology and natural hazards predictions. I am a PhD applicant and I am actively searching for positions in my area of interest for Fall 2016. My background is as following:

- GRE: 151 Q, 146 V

- TOEFL iBT 90

- GPA 3.7

- 2 published papers in peer reviewed journals

Hey Soushiant, have you heard about anything about applications yet? I applied to GIS and remote sensing too. And no interview till today : ( (GRE 316, GPA 3.7, TOEFL 105)

re

9 minutes ago, geographyumd said:

I thought about applying to Boulder, but I've heard it can be quite expensive to live there, and there was not as good of a fit with my research interests. However, it looks and sounds like it is a perfect fit for you! :)

Judging from the results search page, most people got their decisions in early to mid March, with the recruit/admitted student visit invites being sent out around that same time. Good luck to you as well--your research interests and experience sound super cool!

Do you know when will the interview sent out? So worried.

On 2016/1/15 at 11:38 AM, biogeochem said:

Hey all!

I'm applying to there, but in different direction. remote sensing.

Just now, June_cosmo said:

re

Do you know when will the interview sent out? So worried.

I don't know for sure as the only data I have to go by is the results page on this website. From the looks of it though, the program doesn't look like it conducts interviews? My best guess is that if they did, it would be around February/March when they do so, as most admit decisions were posted in early to mid-March. It also appears that it can be possible for a POI at Boulder to be interested in your application but take no immediate action, meaning a decision could come later. :/ 

3 hours ago, geographyumd said:

Thank you! 

On 2016/1/22 at 11:08 AM, geographyumd said:

I don't know for sure as the only data I have to go by is the results page on this website. From the looks of it though, the program doesn't look like it conducts interviews? My best guess is that if they did, it would be around February/March when they do so, as most admit decisions were posted in early to mid-March. It also appears that it can be possible for a POI at Boulder to be interested in your application but take no immediate action, meaning a decision could come later. :/ 

Oh sorry I was not asking about Boulder I was asking about generally when will they send out interview notification. And I also applied to OSU and Maryland, have you heard back from them yet?

12 hours ago, June_cosmo said:

Oh sorry I was not asking about Boulder I was asking about generally when will they send out interview notification. And I also applied to OSU and Maryland, have you heard back from them yet?

No worries! That I am not too sure about. I don't know that a lot of departments in Geography conduct interviews? I would guess that if they did, invites would have to go out soon.

Are you referring to Ohio State? No word from them yet but the results page suggests we should hear back within the next couple of weeks. 

52 minutes ago, geographyumd said:

No worries! That I am not too sure about. I don't know that a lot of departments in Geography conduct interviews? I would guess that if they did, invites would have to go out soon.

Are you referring to Ohio State? No word from them yet but the results page suggests we should hear back within the next couple of weeks. 

I applied before and I got interviews from Berkeley and Columbia. I haven't got any interview this year yet which makes me so worried. Have you?

1 hour ago, June_cosmo said:

I applied before and I got interviews from Berkeley and Columbia. I haven't got any interview this year yet which makes me so worried. Have you?

No interviews yet, actually no news yet---but most of the programs I've applied to don't really do interviews, from what I've seen. I should hopefully hear from Minnesota and OSU soon, and the other programs should make decisions next month. Hoping we all hear good news!!

Edited by geographyumd

4 hours ago, geographyumd said:

No interviews yet, actually no news yet---but most of the programs I've applied to don't really do interviews, from what I've seen. I should hopefully hear from Minnesota and OSU soon, and the other programs should make decisions next month. Hoping we all hear good news!!

I hope so!! Are you studying in Maryland? I think you have really good program too. Not sure about critical geography but certainly GIS and remote sensing.