Review My Personal Statement (PhD Social Welfare) Please

I would really appreciate any feedback on my personal statement that you can give me. I am applying to PhD Programs in Social Welfare for Fall 2016. Thank you!

______________________________________________________________________________________

The term “client-centered” misrepresents real treatment. I first noticed this disparity five years ago when working with clients who had psychotic diagnoses. Attending the Harvest Full of Hope Community Conference, my clients and I heard novel ways to address recovery. The recovery model stated clients had endless possibilities if they were self-advocates, driven and inspired. My clients, unfortunately, disregarded the recovery model. Despite interventions, such as motivational interviewing, recovery was a silly pipedream. Harvest of Hope merely provided a free lunch with fairytales. I had one client who broke this pattern; he actively pursued employment. However, the treatment plan prevented it. He would fall asleep too often, have trouble focusing, and became irritable when tired. Who would ever be willing to hire, or even keep him on staff, with those symptoms? He had to complete unrelated medication goals before he was even eligible for employment. While the majority of clients demonstrated complacency, the proactive client was trapped in an inflexible treatment plan. Evidently, treatment plans overlooked client desires.

Clinical services are a collaborative process. Standards and goals are chosen through a treatment team, but often differ due to counselor, client, or policy orientations. I question how these teams decide client goals, and furthermore, how they bridge contrary ideals. Initially I conducted my own literature review on decision making and mental illness. I wanted to know what I was missing—differences my clients seemed unable to communicate. Empirical research points out how psychotic symptoms affect broad functioning including concentration, motivation and decision making, but oddly those differences were rarely addressed by the team.  

Instead, the team discussed solutions to client laziness, complacency and entitlement. Clients were pressured to follow treatment goals, and stigmatized if they did not. Treatment language included documentation stating “non-compliant” or “refused”: no matter their reasoning. These observations, empirical and professional, encouraged me to find a new way to stand up for my clients. The treatment team and mental health system needed change, but more than one person is needed to change that system.

While teaching at Achieve Test Prep, I noticed I could help students become more critically aware of institutional problems in the hospital setting. I considered the impact I could have as a professor. Torn between giving treatment, and changing treatment services, I seriously considered an academic profession. I applied to College Counseling Programs which would bridge the divide. I would be able gain career skills and the personal development to know my own mind. My role as a Psychology Department GA was vital to that growth. I spent most of my Graduate Assistant hours tutoring Statistics for Social Sciences and Behaviors, and finding myself surprisingly capable. Despite my previous struggles with mathematical concepts, research statistics came naturally. Furthermore, due to my undergraduate research involvement, I also became the main administrator for the research subject pool called SONA Systems. SONA is utilized for all psychology department research, both professor and for the experimental psychology classes. Through this platform, researchers advertised experiments and rewarded students with credit. I provided SONA training workshops, approved and monitored the department research pool.  This role provided practical application for my education.

Knowing I have these skills, I am more confident is pursuing my goals. I want to see if mental health treatment tools are effective. During the ACA graduate student ethics competition, students struggle utilizing decision making models. They effectively analyze the components of an ethical dilemma, but students waver on conclusive action.  These resources continue missing a vital step: the solution. Lackluster tools, compounded with my concerns regarding treatment language and recover, necessitate better treatment standards.

My clinical counseling career has transformed beyond individual client treatment. I am still interested in helping underserved populations in the mental health community. However, now I want to advocate for improved standards through education and policy development. Case Western Reserve University is an enriching program that fits my aspirations. Case Western creates a collaborative learning environment through their research centers. The Evidence-Based Practices center provides broad connections into many areas including ACT team effectiveness, Employment Support, Benefits Advocacy and overall holistic mental health care. I have observed each of these treatment sectors and feel that a united treatment team is needed. Case Western Reserve University proves that global team.

Following doctoral studies, I would like to be a dynamic addition to this coalition. I envision myself working as research professor helping future policymakers and practitioners serve these populations. I can also foresee myself working within agencies, such as the National Alliance on Mental Illness, NAMI, to research and create policy reform. In either case, I will use knowledge to promote social action.  

And this might help... Framework! Case Western requirements are a 3-5 page statement describing and evaluating my professional development, including career goals, how doctoral education is relevant to them, and my research interest within the social work profession. I was specifically suggested to highlight my research skills (by their grad school rep) since my quant GRE percentile is disastrous.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...