Forthcoming/Submitted Publications on Resume

lifetimestudent

I am working on my resume and have a question: I have submitted a paper for publication in an academic journal, and would like to make some note of the fact that I am trying to publish my article. I probably won't hear back from the journal before I have to send in my applications, so is it wrong for me to list it under "relevant publications" as "submitted for review"? If so, should I list the publication that I submitted it to, and what is the right way to put it?

Thanks

The easy part is: YES, definitely mention any paper you've submitted for publication, even if you haven't heard back yet.

The trickier part is exactly how to mention it. This may differ from field to field and you could try spying on cv's of, say, grad students at your potential departments to see what format they use. I've always found grad students' cv formats the best to copy. I think I would write "submitted to Journal X for review" or some such.

I would definitely include it, but indicate only "Under review," not "Under review at Journal X." Some people note where their manuscripts are under review, but this is generally considered poor form. Perhaps this varies among disciplines.

If you receive an R&R, you can then indicate, "Revise and Resubmit at Journal X." But I would not indicate the journal until that point.

can someone explain to me why it is a good idea to include an unpublished but submitted paper on one's cv? i thought one should only mention things that he/she has achieved in the past?

This probably depends on where you are in your career. If you have few or no publications, then putting the ones that are under review indicates that you have been productive in your research, to the point of having things ready for publication.

Obviously, journals could reject your work and the act of submission itself doesn't prove that you're doing publishable research. But for many applicants, and especially those still in school, having submitted papers for publication is the most that can reasonably be expected given a certain background/work experience.

It's also a way to quantify research experience, maybe? For example, if someone has been a "research assistant", being an author on a paper from that job indicates that they did more than clean test tubes.

can someone explain to me why it is a good idea to include an unpublished but submitted paper on one's cv? i thought one should only mention things that he/she has achieved in the past?

My understanding is that it shows initiative and an awareness of the culture of academia. Basically, you know that it is about publish or perish and the concept won't be new to you when you enter graduate school