Scholarship from Columbia MODA or IFA

annie4148

I know that Columbia and IFA usually don't give out funding to their MA students but I'm wondering if there have been exceptions in the past? Have you heard of anyone receiving any kind of need or merit-based scholarship from them? 

I personally haven't, though others may have more to say. If you are looking for a funded MA, I have had colleagues who went to Williams (received partial tuition remission), UMass Amherst, Tulane, Wisconsin, and Davis (stipend and tuition remission). Hope it helps!

Thanks! I'm applying to Williams (and Courtauld) as well but Columbia and IFA are my top choices. I really can't afford their tuition though so have been considering just applying for their PhD program instead but I don't know how good my chances are, especially since I've started working on my apps only a month ago. 

Thanks! I'm applying to Williams (and Courtauld) as well but Columbia and IFA are my top choices. I really can't afford their tuition though so have been considering just applying for their PhD program instead but I don't know how good my chances are, especially since I've started working on my apps only a month ago. 

I agree with artman. Assuming you are serious about getting the PhD but were thinking of applying to the MAs because you thought your odds were better, I'd go ahead and apply to the PhDs, since if you are turned away but have a good application you will generally also be considered for their MA programs. That way at least you wouldn't be left wondering whether you could get into the PhD. 

Also for what it's worth I started working on apps in Oct last year and  still got into my dream program. As long as you have your letters and writing sample ready and have done the GRE, the rest shouldn't take a crazy amount of time. You can do it! 

Edited by brown_eyed_girl

• 8 months later...

Hey, what did you decide at the end? 

I am thinking about applying for the MODA at Columbia and Curatorial Studies at Bard; and have been considering PhD programs like visual & cultural studies. But I am not really from an art history background (though art related ) nor have any published works, so should I get a MA first and then consider PhD? How can I know if I am ready for a PhD? Thank you!