SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2016-2017

rugox

A friend of mine contacted programs last year with simple emails saying basically that they understand there's limited funding for graduate students, would they reconsider the application now that they know you secured CGS.

I don't know if contacting schools you haven't applied to would work for you, but try doing that too. Someone I know got SSHRC but didn't bother to apply to PhDs. When he got it he contacted 3 schools and they admitted him right away. He chose the best and went from there.

Good luck. What mixed emotions you must be feeling right now. What a great nod of support to your research, but frustration at what is clearly an odd admissions process. :)

21 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

Does anyone have any advice for contacting POIs/programs that rejected in the hopes that they'll reconsider because I won the award?

On 4/28/2016 at 10:03 PM, FacelessMage said:

Does anyone have any advice for contacting POIs/programs that rejected in the hopes that they'll reconsider because I won the award?

Yes, I would simply tell them that you won the award and are wondering if there is a chance that they will reconsider your application. I have heard of cases where this has worked out! 

Not much else you can say.... they'll either have a spot for you or they won't. You never know, so I would definitely reach out if I were you!

On 4/28/2016 at 10:54 AM, mckinnon42 said:

Got my letter yesterday (Alberta). Very low mark, clear rejection, second year in a row. I really don't understand it, as my graduate department is very excited about my research and a number of other friends and colleagues have really expressed interest and confidence in the applicability and necessity of my work. Oh well. Third times a charm eh? One thing that may have hindered me (grasping at straws here) is that both of my applications have been made while still an MA student with an 'expected' graduation in the near future. I am now actually enrolled in my PhD program so maybe that will make a difference. Regardless, more research and reading will be done over the summer to try and improve the proposal for September.

I honestly think the biggest piece is conference presentations and publications. I was rejected last year but in the meantime had 1 additional conference presentation and 1 additional publication. 

Just now, psychstudent316 said:

Yes, I would simply tell them that you won the award and are wondering if there is a chance that they will reconsider your application. I have heard of cases where this has worked out! 

Not much else you can say.... they'll either have a spot for you or they won't. You never know, so I would definitely reach out if I were you!

@FacelessMage I agree with all previous posters that you should keep it to the point. I also agree there is no harm (and perhaps great benefit) in putting yourself out there.

on another note, it seems I am one of the only ones still stalking the mail man...

Hi there!

I got wait listed as well and was trying to figure out where I may fall in the rankings. It might be helpful to list your score and committee because the scores for people in committees other than your own are irrelevant (based on what I understand). My score was 11.4 and my application was in committee 4 (education, linguistics, psychology, social work).

Congrats to those who were successful this year!

Edited by LJ15

On April 27, 2016 at 11:28 PM, ry0718 said:

I have been waitlisted with "11.55".  I found it strange to have two decimal places on my score....

On April 27, 2016 at 9:32 AM, ashetree1 said:

Waitlisted as well with a score of 11.1 :|

Congrats on waitlisted--fingers crossed! Which committee are you?

Just got back from a conference to find a lovely little brown envelope in the mail box. Was awarded a Doctoral Fellowship with a 12.75 / 20. Congrats to all the successful applicants. For those of you who were not successful this year, keep grinding the work out and it will come. The only real difference between my application this time and my previous one (7.2 or 7.6) was a conference presentation, a publication, and a co-authored book chapter. 

On April 27, 2016 at 1:59 PM, soc.studyhermit said:

Rejected, no-waitlist this time with a score of 11.4/20.   Thank you Weberian for your inspiration!!  I am finishing up my second year and plan to reapply again in the fall of my third year.  (hopefully 4th time applying will help)

....But someone (ashetree1) just posted that they were waitlisted with 11.1. How is it that you have a higher score, but weren't wait-listed? 

1 hour ago, turkergirl said:

....But someone (ashetree1) just posted that they were waitlisted with 11.1. How is it that you have a higher score, but weren't wait-listed? 

It depends on the committee.

Anyone on the West Coast still waiting for their SSHRC doctoral fellowship letter to arrive in the mail?  I haven't received mine, though I had been forwarded to the National competition.... I can't help but see this as a bad sign :( 

Anybody with previous experience being waitlisted have any information on a (ballpark) timeline? I'm sure it depends on a lot of factors, but all this additional waiting is killing me!

8 hours ago, lhume said:

Anybody with previous experience being waitlisted have any information on a (ballpark) timeline? I'm sure it depends on a lot of factors, but all this additional waiting is killing me!

Hi,

I was awarded a Doctoral Award in late April last year, but was upgraded to the Bombardier in early November, so the waiting period can go quite late into the year. 

Edited by ibebignoob

10 hours ago, ibebignoob said:

Hi,

I was awarded a Doctoral Award in late April last year, but was upgraded to the Bombardier in early November, so the waiting period can go quite late into the year. 

Wow - so even though you accepted the fellowship and received the first one or two instalments, you can still be awarded the Bombardier? Can you elaborate a bit more please? For instance, did your letter of offer for the fellowship say that you were waitlisted for the Bombardier? I had no idea and am especially curious because I received the fellowship this past April. Thanks!

Edited by scully#01

I thought some of you may be interested in knowing that contacting Grad chairs (sometimes) works.

I was rejected from a humanities program in February and recontacted the Grad Chair of the department as soon as I received the Doctoral SSHRC and asked to be reconsidered. (S)He wrote back stating that the decision was, in short, overturned; I was admitted and received the formal letters and administrative papers ... And this is at one of the "Big 3" Canadian universities nonetheless!

I would certainly advise to do it ASAP though.  

16 minutes ago, Roasted said:

I thought some of you may be interested in knowing that contacting Grad chairs (sometimes) works.

I was rejected from a humanities program in February and recontacted the Grad Chair of the department as soon as I received the Doctoral SSHRC and asked to be reconsidered. (S)He wrote back stating that the decision was, in short, overturned; I was admitted and received the formal letters and administrative papers ... And this is at one of the "Big 3" Canadian universities nonetheless!

I would certainly advise to do it ASAP though.  

So many of their decisions are made because of funding. It's not you! So glad they  overturned it and all the very best in your studies this fall. Congratulations on the money and the admission. Well done.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...