SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2016-2017

rugox

30 minutes ago, lackingpatience said:

My letter arrived today as well! Through to the national level :)

Congrats! What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm going to be a wreck until my letter comes. I'm in Toronto, but like an idiot I put down my parent's address in Calgary since it's more permanent. It's going to be a few more days I guess...

5 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

Congrats! What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm going to be a wreck until my letter comes. I'm in Toronto, but like an idiot I put down my parent's address in Calgary since it's more permanent. It's going to be a few more days I guess...

Good luck, FacelessMage!

What kind of stats are you looking for? I'm a current grad student in the first year of my PhD in Anthropology at Cambridge, where I also did my MA last year. My undergrad was at McGill. I don't have any publications yet - I'm a bit worried about that, but it's much less common for grad students in anthro to publish than it is in other fields (no one takes you that seriously until you've done a long stint of fieldwork). Otherwise I have a couple of awards/scholarships to my name. Anything else you want to know?

On 2/23/2016 at 7:00 PM, lackingpatience said:

Good luck, FacelessMage!

What kind of stats are you looking for? I'm a current grad student in the first year of my PhD in Anthropology at Cambridge, where I also did my MA last year. My undergrad was at McGill. I don't have any publications yet - I'm a bit worried about that, but it's much less common for grad students in anthro to publish than it is in other fields (no one takes you that seriously until you've done a long stint of fieldwork). Otherwise I have a couple of awards/scholarships to my name. Anything else you want to know?

I guess I was looking more in terms of publications and whatnot. Thanks!

22 hours ago, genderboi said:

Congrats everyone! I can't seem to figure out the chances of getting a SSHRC as a direct applicant... I'm guessing its about 1/3 at the national level? 

I applied as a direct applicant, since I'm studying in the UK. I received my letter yesterday, and for the first time in 4 applications I've been forwarded to the national competition. What now...?  Are you suggesting that the chances of actual succeeding at the national is significantly reduced because I'm a direct applicant? Oy.

18 hours ago, turkergirl said:

I applied as a direct applicant, since I'm studying in the UK. I received my letter yesterday, and for the first time in 4 applications I've been forwarded to the national competition. What now...?  Are you suggesting that the chances of actual succeeding at the national is significantly reduced because I'm a direct applicant? Oy.

Congrats turkergirl!

Can I ask - in previous years did you receive a letter saying that you were not forwarded to the national competition around this time or did you have to wait until April? I have yet to receive anything here so assuming I'm out for this year. Congrats to everyone who's on to the next round! :) 

On February 26, 2016 at 2:03 PM, turkergirl said:

I'm also very curious of this. Is there a lower chance for direct applicants to be awarded? 

1 hour ago, rugox said:

I'm also very curious of this. Is there a lower chance for direct applicants to be awarded? 

As I'm in the humanities and not great with stats I can't make too much sense of these competition results but maybe someone can? http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/results-resultats/stats-statistiques/index-eng.aspx

Hello

On February 27, 2016 at 5:17 AM, Intombi said:

Congrats turkergirl!

Can I ask - in previous years did you receive a letter saying that you were not forwarded to the national competition around this time or did you have to wait until April? I have yet to receive anything here so assuming I'm out for this year. Congrats to everyone who's on to the next round! :) 

Hi, yes, in the past I've received my "rejection" letter as late as the end of April. I don't know why the folks who haven't been forwarded to the national competition have to wait so long to find out, but the earliest I'd ever heard, if I recall, was the end of March. Interestingly, the rejection letter also includes the "score" for your application, which can be pretty sobering!

16 hours ago, turkergirl said:

Hello

Hi, yes, in the past I've received my "rejection" letter as late as the end of April. I don't know why the folks who haven't been forwarded to the national competition have to wait so long to find out, but the earliest I'd ever heard, if I recall, was the end of March. Interestingly, the rejection letter also includes the "score" for your application, which can be pretty sobering!

Hi turkergurl, I thought I'd heard that SSHRC sends out the acceptance and rejection letters at the same time each year?

On 2/27/2016 at 7:17 AM, Intombi said:

Congrats turkergirl!

I was rejected last year and received my letter in the third week of February.

2 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

Have any direct applicants on the west coast received their letters yet? I'm regretting using my Calgary address right now....

I received mine last Thursday (in California). Best of luck to you!

On February 29, 2016 at 7:16 AM, delia_b said:

I was rejected last year and received my letter in the third week of February.

Wow...I got mine in April. I can't find it, but maybe it was dated for February, and got lost in the mail? I don't know....

On 2/28/2016 at 5:27 PM, turkergirl said:

Hello

20 minutes ago, turkergirl said:

Wow...I got mine in April. I can't find it, but maybe it was dated for February, and got lost in the mail? I don't know....

Your experience doesn't sound like the norm. When I received first-round rejection letters from SSHRC, they were always at the same time that first-round "advance to second round" letters went out, and they never included a score. This is also what seems to have been generally the case for others, from what I've seen on this forum. Your experience sounds much more akin to that of someone who advanced past the first round and was rejected in the second.

Edited by RWBG

13 hours ago, RWBG said:

Your experience doesn't sound like the norm. When I received first-round rejection letters from SSHRC, they were always at the same time that first-round "advance to second round" letters went out, and they never included a score. This is also what seems to have been generally the case for others, from what I've seen on this forum. Your experience sounds much more akin to that of someone who advanced past the first round and was rejected in the second.

I emailed SSHRC and they said that all letters went out on the same day this year (Feb 19th), regardless of whether they were successful or not -- it also took 11 days for my letter to get to Atlantic Canada. So everyone should receive a notification one way or another around now, and Canada Post is obviously a little wonky! 

On February 29, 2016 at 9:23 AM, FacelessMage said:

Have any direct applicants on the west coast received their letters yet? I'm regretting using my Calgary address right now....

I'm in Vancouver, and got my letter last Thursday.

On March 1, 2016 at 0:08 PM, RWBG said:

Wow...that never occurred to me. In all 3 of my previous rejections, I have always gotten a "score".  One was quite low.... Also, I'm embarrassed to say that this is the first year that I used "Times New Roman" as the font, AND expanded the margins on the page to the allowable limit. I don't know why I was so hell-bent on using Helvetica. 

• 2 weeks later...