SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2016-2017

rugox

14 hours ago, flamenco said:

Hmm... this seems odd. I have not received anything from SSHRC. I live in Vancouver. I did get a notification from my university last January that my application was forwarded to SSHRC, but nothing since then..

I'm in the same boat as you. I do not think internal (at a university) applicants receive a formal letter telling them they have been forwarded on to Ottawa, just a message from their graduate faculty.

On 3/14/2016 at 1:47 AM, flamenco said:

Hmm... this seems odd. I have not received anything from SSHRC. I live in Vancouver. I did get a notification from my university last January that my application was forwarded to SSHRC, but nothing since then..

Only direct applicants (those that didn't apply through their university department) hear directly from SSHRC that they've been sent to the national competition. Everyone who got sent to nationals should hear back April/May as to whether they were successful. 

Thanks a lot for your responses.. glad to know I made it to the national level.

Another question I have is: on the SSHRC Award Holder's Guide A, it says that "All award holders must: have been unconditionally accepted into a recognized graduate studies degree program." What if a condition of my PhD admission is to get a certain mark for a course, which I won't complete until August this year? Is it necessary to already have been unconditionally accepted to the PhD program by the award acceptance deadline (which I would assume would be May/June: "You must notify SSHRC within four weeks of the date on the Notice of Award of your decision to accept or refuse the award.")?

13 hours ago, flamenco said:

Thanks a lot for your responses.. glad to know I made it to the national level.

Another question I have is: on the SSHRC Award Holder's Guide A, it says that "All award holders must: have been unconditionally accepted into a recognized graduate studies degree program." What if a condition of my PhD admission is to get a certain mark for a course, which I won't complete until August this year? Is it necessary to already have been unconditionally accepted to the PhD program by the award acceptance deadline (which I would assume would be May/June: "You must notify SSHRC within four weeks of the date on the Notice of Award of your decision to accept or refuse the award.")?

Hello flamenco,

I happened to email SSHRC yesterday with this exact question as I will likely be a January 2017 start to my doctoral program. I will not even apply to my program (that which has forwarded my app to the national competition) until June/July. Thus, I will not have "unconditional acceptance" until September or later. The reply that I got from SSHRC was "You will need to have official acceptance into the doctoral program before the start date of your award." Thus, I believe the award holder's guide is for exactly that: award holders. The date you start the award is when those guidelines must be closely followed. I hope this helps!

P.S. I'm in Vancouver anxiously awaiting the results as well! Good luck to all.

Okay, I've been patient up until now......6 week countdown is on. I was waitlisted last year and am hoping that this year I will get an award. Good luck to everyone else waiting. I know these next few weeks are going to be agonizing for everyone :)

2 hours ago, Anthrogal said:

Okay, I've been patient up until now......6 week countdown is on. I was waitlisted last year and am hoping that this year I will get an award. Good luck to everyone else waiting. I know these next few weeks are going to be agonizing for everyone :)

Good luck to you too, Anthrogal! I check this thread and the SSHRC twitter account multiple times a day even though I know we're weeks away from any news... I think I may lose my mind before this is over :P 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody have an idea of when the announcements will be made? I checked online but all I saw was "spring 2016". Trying to figure out what my funding would look like at the different programs with and without sshrc, and the deadline to decide  about phd programs is, of course, april 15th. Thanks for your help

10 hours ago, AgentScully said:

Does anybody have an idea of when the announcements will be made? I checked online but all I saw was "spring 2016". Trying to figure out what my funding would look like at the different programs with and without sshrc, and the deadline to decide  about phd programs is, of course, april 15th. Thanks for your help

If the last couple of years are any indication it should be end of April I think... though I believe the official party line is "sometime in April". 

On March 18, 2016 at 0:00 PM, lackingpatience said:

Good luck to you too, Anthrogal! I check this thread and the SSHRC twitter account multiple times a day even though I know we're weeks away from any news... I think I may lose my mind before this is over :P 

Thanks Lackingpatience! Best of luck to you and I hear what you are saying....I feel like I might lose my mind as well. Hopefully the time goes by quickly! :)

Hey there folks. Like many of you, I'm beginning to get anxious about sshrc as well. York told us that the we'll be notified directly if we're successful (or not!). On SSHRC's website it says they send the results by mail but I'm wondering if it's updated online somewhere first? snail mail is sooo lame. thanks!

I agree with everyone above - my nerves have definitely kicked in since seeing the calendar change to April. Only a few "short" (haha) weeks until we find out. Best of luck to all! I am west coast so I will likely be one of the last to receive the letter.

Thought I would give an update from what I received from SSHRC this morning after I emailed them last night about an update on when the announcements will be released:

Good morning,

The results for the Doctoral competition will be mailed sometime near the middle to the end of April 2016.

Thank you.

Program Assistant | Adjointe aux programmes
Research Training Portfolio | Portefeuille de la formation en recherche
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
Conseil de recherches en sciences humaines du Canada

350 Albert Street  |  350, rue Albert, Ottawa, ON   K1P 6G4
E  |  C   fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca
T  613.943-7777  FAX  |  TÉLÉC.  613.943.1329
www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca

Edited by crimsoc

1 hour ago, crimsoc said:

Thought I would give an update from what I received from SSHRC this morning after I emailed them last night about an update on when the announcements will be released:

Good morning,

The results for the Doctoral competition will be mailed sometime near the middle to the end of April 2016.

Thank you.

Program Assistant | Adjointe aux programmes
Research Training Portfolio | Portefeuille de la formation en recherche
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
Conseil de recherches en sciences humaines du Canada

350 Albert Street  |  350, rue Albert, Ottawa, ON   K1P 6G4
E  |  C   fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca
T  613.943-7777  FAX  |  TÉLÉC.  613.943.1329
www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca

Thanks for posting this, crimsoc!! I love that mid April is still technically on the table, but I don't think I'll get my hopes up... my money's on the end of the month. Hope I'm wrong! 

20 minutes ago, lackingpatience said:

Thanks for posting this, crimsoc!! I love that mid April is still technically on the table, but I don't think I'll get my hopes up... my money's on the end of the month. Hope I'm wrong! 

Hope you are wrong as well ;)

But yeah, mid April would mean that decisions would be finalized next week...hard to believe.

Hi all,

On last year's SSHRC doctoral fellowship discussion forum on The Grad Cafe people posted when they received notice. It looks like SSHRC Tweeted on April 23rd that applications were mailed out, and people got them within the following week. 

I would agree that decisions are probably being finalized right now!

Thanks for the update, @crimsoc . I've heard from our University Admins that they are expecting the news in late April, so it seems mid-April notifications are not even on the table.And I assume next week still qualifies as "mid" April...:wacko:

19 hours ago, jcouture said:

For what it's worth, a colleague of mine (formerly U of L, now USask) who was successful last year got her letter on April 26th. 

If they happen to be on a similar schedule this year, that would mean the letters would be sent out next week. Nerves!

The optimist in me is saying they will be put in the mail Friday, meaning we won't see them until later next week or early the week after. However, realist me is leaning toward 
SSHRC putting notifications in the mail late next week meaning we will find out most likely in the final week of April (which seems silly considering you can accept and take up the award with a May start date...).

In my experience at a relatively big school (Carleton) someone in the Department or, more likely, the grad school office knows the list of the university's winners right before results are sent out (or the day of). I found out from the FGPA's finance official before I received official word from SSHRC.

That being said, it may not be a good strategy to annoy your grad school awards administrator. However, it's not like an email is going to ruin your chances for the award. I would probably wait until someone on here posts that their admin told them about the award and then send an email yourself.

..We are grad students. We are supposed to be annoying.