SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2016-2017

rugox

8 minutes ago, lackingpatience said:

This week *could* be the week!!  Though somehow I still feel like it's more likely to be next week... I'm fixated on SSHRC's twitter account anyway. :ph34r:

I'm predicting that the letters will be sent out on Friday.

7 hours ago, lackingpatience said:

This week *could* be the week!!  Though somehow I still feel like it's more likely to be next week... I'm fixated on SSHRC's twitter account anyway. :ph34r:

Do they announce on twitter when they mail them out? I agree with @rugox. I am betting on this Friday as the mail-out date, though that means they may not even arrive by next Friday. More than anything I am getting nervous for the individual score (as opposed to the ultimate offered/not offered!).

They usually tweet when they are mailed. I agree with those of you who suggested they will likely be mailed Friday. I am soooo anxious for the wait to be over. Hopefully people on the forum will be busy posting that they have received their letters next week :)

Yep, I imagine you guys are right with the Friday guess. First notifications started to roll in last year around the 22nd, but they'd have to be in the mail today or tomorrow for that to be the case again. But yes, they do usually tweet when responses have been mailed. 

Hi everyone,

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. This is my second time applying, so do I still qualify for a CGS-doctoral scholarship ($35,000) or only the fellowship ($20,000)? At application time I was just starting second year, but now I am hoping to complete my degree by spring 2018 which is 2 years from now. The scholarship says $35,000 for 3 years. 

4 hours ago, Anthrogal said:

Hi everyone,

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. This is my second time applying, so do I still qualify for a CGS-doctoral scholarship ($35,000) or only the fellowship ($20,000)? At application time I was just starting second year, but now I am hoping to complete my degree by spring 2018 which is 2 years from now. The scholarship says $35,000 for 3 years. 

I'm not certain, but I believe the CGS is only offered for 3 years terms (the 2014 CGS only granted 105K awards- see below). So, if you anticipate completing in Spring 2018 you may only receive fellowship funding until then, so a ~1.5 years.

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/results-resultats/recipients-recipiendaires/2014/cgs_doctoral-doctorat_bes-eng.aspx

As per their website (http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/programs-programmes/fellowships/doctoral-doctorat-eng.aspx), mojoliveshere is right that, unlike the fellowship, SSHRC only award CGS for 36 months... which means, indeed, that you would receive funding until you graduate or the award runs out.

You're eligible for CGS until the end of your 16th month of doctoral studies as per their website again, so you should fall under the category of " Applicants who will have completed between 5 and 16 months," calculated based on December 31 of the year of your application.

Good luck!

Edited by biggoalies

6 hours ago, Anthrogal said:

Hi everyone,

Hey, 

I won a CGS last year going into my second year like you, and I was in the 5-16 months category... So you definitely qualify for the CGS.  You are also not under any obligation to take 3 years to graduate in order to accept the CGS or the fellowship for that matter.  When you have a defence date set, you just have to notify SSHRC of your intent to defend your thesis and they will end your scholarship for the next release of funds, which happens 3 times a year (September, January and May).

Best of luck!

Edited by ibebignoob

10 hours ago, ibebignoob said:

Hey, 

I won a CGS last year going into my second year like you, and I was in the 5-16 months category... So you definitely qualify for the CGS.  You are also not under any obligation to take 3 years to graduate in order to accept the CGS or the fellowship for that matter.  When you have a defence date set, you just have to notify SSHRC of your intent to defend your thesis and they will end your scholarship for the next release of funds, which happens 3 times a year (September, January and May).

Best of luck!

Thanks for the information everyone! I hope you all get good news. Waiting anxiously for the SSHRC tweet that the results are in the mail. Then comes the worst part - running to check the mailbox everyday hoping for news :wacko:

Edited by Anthrogal

47 minutes ago, Anthrogal said:

Thanks for the information everyone! I hope you all get good news. Waiting anxiously for the SSHRC tweet that the results are in the mail. Then comes the worst part - running to check the mailbox everyday hoping for news :wacko:

Been trying to focus on other things but not helping obviously.

Just saw this on twitter under SSHRC:

A HUGE congratulations to my PhD students @LJPetterson & @scottyseme who were both awarded super prestigious SSHRC CGS D3 Scholarships!

Is this THE results we're waiting for? How do we get to find out before the official release?

OMG. I'm so tempted to drop by York tomorrow and politely ask with those eyes!

latest?cb=20130629120254&path-prefix=fr

By the way... googled without success the meaning of D3. Any clues?

Edited by biggoalies

Quite possible! Also read something on UofT's website about divisions; could be the different committees? But again, that's mere speculation to pass time. No idea how I'll fall asleep tonight!

just a friendly reminder to anyone who gets a SSHRC AND OGS to make sure you decline your OGS! I was wait-listed on OGS so I'm just waiting to see what happens after SSHRC mails acceptances!

1 hour ago, crackers said:

Just saw this on twitter under SSHRC:

A HUGE congratulations to my PhD students @LJPetterson & @scottyseme who were both awarded super prestigious SSHRC CGS D3 Scholarships!

Is this THE results we're waiting for? How do we get to find out before the official release?

Those are the results! Ugh, This is going to be an agonizing weekend, especially for us direct applicants who'll likely get the letters next week :(

This feels weird that a prof in Lethbridge has leaked this info - it isn't like his students already have letters and we don't. I am confused in the process of how schools know this (I am an MA going into PhD at another university - would my current school know if I got one?)

9 hours ago, Scotty212 said:

just a friendly reminder to anyone who gets a SSHRC AND OGS to make sure you decline your OGS! I was wait-listed on OGS so I'm just waiting to see what happens after SSHRC mails acceptances!

OMG is right!!! SO tempted to e-mail my university to try and find out, although my understanding is that they are not supposed to release the results. Scott212 - it appears from your post you have received OGS info already? Ours is not going to be released until next Friday. Groan!

Okay I broke down and e-mailed my university. I'm 90% certain they won't tell me, but what the hell? Nothing ventured, nothing gained! :)

Edited by Anthrogal

9 hours ago, gleefullygloomy said:

This feels weird that a prof in Lethbridge has leaked this info - it isn't like his students already have letters and we don't. I am confused in the process of how schools know this (I am an MA going into PhD at another university - would my current school know if I got one?)

Yeah IMO this is pretty inappropriate to share this early. He could wait a week to be sure others received their results first.

Okay - so I heard back from my U. They definitely have the results but would not release them to me. They did say e-mails from our university would go out in the "next day or two". I know last year I received my e-mail after I had gotten my letter. Does this mean letters are already on the way??? AGGGHHHHH!!! The not knowing is killing me and making it difficult to focus on my other work. I should be writing, I should be writing......