Chemistry Application Fall 2016

ChemEnthusiast

• 1 month later...

I got an email last week from a POI I listed in my app-he said that he's on the adcom and that my application (in particular my strong research record) caught their eye and that he would like to hear more about my research. I wrote back and now he wants to call me to tell me more about his research (I also asked him about that). I also got another personal email from a prof from a school that I didn't apply to. 

34 minutes ago, KaffeeCafe said:

I received a call from a prof at UChicago saying I've been accepted + additional fellowship. I was surprised considering the deadline hasn't even passed yet!

Congratulations! 

When did you submit your application?

1 minute ago, TongueSten said:

Congratulations! 

When did you submit your application?

Thanks! Late November while on Thanksgiving break. He claimed on the phone they do a semi-rolling admissions and sometimes will admit people if it is an obvious choice early on. (I was still surprised because I only have 2/3 LORs submitted!)

Hi all! Congrats to all of you who have been accepted so far! So far I've heard back from Johns Hopkins, UC Davis, and Temple with great financial aid offers from all, so I'm super excited!! :) Where else are you guys applying? Anyone heard anything yet from UC Irvine? 

4 hours ago, FTY720 said:

Hi all! Congrats to all of you who have been accepted so far! So far I've heard back from Johns Hopkins, UC Davis, and Temple with great financial aid offers from all, so I'm super excited!! :) Where else are you guys applying? Anyone heard anything yet from UC Irvine? 

Hi FTY720, out of curiosity when did you hear back from Davis? And for what discipline?

Also, helpful webpage on grad cafe: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=chemistry+berkeley&t=a&o=

Allows you to search for other people's application results + enter in your own! I have typed in "chemistry berkeley," for example, and it shows results from only previous years, indicating that either no one has heard back or that no one who has heard back has entered their information in.

Also, from looking over the last few years for a handful of schools, it seems that most people hear back mid-late January, so still a decent chunk of time left to wait for most of us. 

1 hour ago, erickkwangg said:

Hi FTY720, out of curiosity when did you hear back from Davis? And for what discipline?

I just heard back from Davis yesterday. Right before my PChem final haha so it was hard to focus. I put biological chemistry as my first choice, followed by analytical chemistry and physical chemistry. I'm really interested in materials chemistry and the biological applications of those materials, so that's why I put down those disciplines. 

6 hours ago, KaffeeCafe said:

Great! Can people update if they know anything about UNC, Duke, UW-Madison, and Northwestern?

I applied to UNC (Chemistry and Chemical Biology/Medicinal Chem) through the BBSP program. I got an email earlier today saying I've been selected for an interview! Super Excited!

24 minutes ago, TongueSten said:

I applied to UNC (Chemistry and Chemical Biology/Medicinal Chem) through the BBSP program. I got an email earlier today saying I've been selected for an interview! Super Excited!

That's awesome, congratulations! I also heard back from Duke today via email for an update on the online account.