Chemistry Application Fall 2016

ChemEnthusiast

On 2/11/2016 at 7:34 PM, Orgo for days said:

Interesting to know, tho last year there were no acceptances after they started rejecting people, so you're probably right that there's probably another wave of rejections coming.

This is getting weird. We've now had a February 2nd wave of rejections and a February 10th wave of rejections. And yet I still have heard nothing.

This smells like a wait list. This February 10th rejection wave was a little smaller, maybe they rejected the least qualified on the wait list based on responses to the first wave of acceptances.

9 hours ago, dells_of_bittersweet said:

This is getting weird. We've now had a February 2nd wave of rejections and a February 10th wave of rejections. And yet I still have heard nothing.

This smells like a wait list. This February 10th rejection wave was a little smaller, maybe they rejected the least qualified on the wait list based on responses to the first wave of acceptances.

Actually, it looks like last year they may have accepted at least one person in early March.  Not sure how that'd gel with visit weekends, but it could be a possibility.

On 2/10/2016 at 7:08 PM, Chester88 said:

Based on past results, I would think we would hear sometime this week.  It's encouraging that no acceptances have been posted, but I feel like it's getting pretty late in the game.

I'm fairly certain Vanderbilt notifies on a rolling basis, depending on when the apps were submitted.  I know people who heard back several weeks before I did, and I submitted my app about 3 weeks before the deadline (I just heard back a week or two ago).  Good luck! :) 

I'm a non-native speaker of English with a UK degree. I can waive the TOEFL test according to Caltech. But my Caltech application website still shows "awaiting" (in comparison, my Yale shows "waived"). Would this be an issue so that the application has not even been sent to the admission committee? Does Caltech require something like a form of waiving English test? Thanks 

On 2/14/2016 at 1:10 PM, madcafe said:

Still haven't heard from UNC and caltech... 

I really just want to get into UNC... 

Same about UNC.  I called the chemistry office last week and was informed that we should hear by the end of this week.  Good luck!

36 minutes ago, chemistree said:

Same about UNC.  I called the chemistry office last week and was informed that we should hear by the end of this week.  Good luck!

I wonder if that just means they're going to send out bulk rejections by this week or if they'll actually accept more people.

hey metallocene2015, you heard back from UC Irvine? I have the same status as you with it currently as "being reviewed." Did yours change or did you contact the department? I also haven't heard back from Duke, UCLA, and NYU should I just assume they're rejections now? 

1 minute ago, NoNewFriends said:

hey metallocene2015, you heard back from UC Irvine? I have the same status as you with it currently as "being reviewed." Did yours change or did you contact the department? I also haven't heard back from Duke, UCLA, and NYU should I just assume they're rejections now? 

Yea UC Irvine rejected me- I sent them an email about 2 weeks ago and within a few days my status changed from "being reviewed" to a rejection letter. A few days after that I got the official rejection letter from Tenley Dunn. I don't know about Duke and NYU (except for the 2 or acceptances I saw recently on the results page) but I can tell you that for UCLA, I was invited for a Skype video interview in early January and got the acceptance in mid-January. I 've also seen 1 or 2 acceptances from UCLA on the results page these past few days so I guess maybe there's still some hope for you ! Perhaps you can try emailing Duke and NYU and ask them if they are still making offers ?

On February 11, 2016 at 8:05 PM, Say No To Entropy said:

Anyone still think there's hope for UPenn? They seem to have sent out a bunch of acceptances around January 20th this year. I'm feeling doubtful at this point...

I just emailed UPenn because I have literally heard nothing... even with all these rejections out...."still reviewing your app"

On 2/18/2016 at 11:36 AM, Hottotrot said:

I just emailed UPenn because I have literally heard nothing... even with all these rejections out...."still reviewing your app"

I'm waiting to hear back from UPenn too! They have already had an acceptance wave and rejection wave, recent being the latter. So, hopefully some good news awaits us!

Anyone heard anything from WashU, Johns Hopkins and UCBoulder? Just concerned and anxious.:unsure:

2 hours ago, NoOrgoPlease said:

JHU had no waves to my knowledge. I got accepted in the middle of December but I think there was an acceptance relatively recently. So they are probably just going through 1 by 1 

Hopefully some news soon.

And Congratulations! :)

4 hours ago, Chester88 said:

I'm also still waiting on Vanderbilt.  It's getting pretty late in the game.

Odd, Vandy was the first program I heard from way back in early December (unfortunately I was not so lucky with the other schools I applied to). From what I can tell from talking with the visit weekend coordinator however, they seem to still be sending out acceptances and also seem fairly behind/uncoordinated on things this year. Good luck! I know how stressful the waiting game can be.

2 hours ago, ConcertedMechanism said:

Odd, Vandy was the first program I heard from way back in early December (unfortunately I was not so lucky with the other schools I applied to). From what I can tell from talking with the visit weekend coordinator however, they seem to still be sending out acceptances and also seem fairly behind/uncoordinated on things this year. Good luck! I know how stressful the waiting game can be.

Do you know when the visit weekend is?