Chemistry Application Fall 2016

ChemEnthusiast

6 hours ago, ChemEnthusiast said:

Ị just got an acceptance from Michigan! so surreal guys :)

Congrats man, UM is an especially great school! Looks like you've got plenty of acceptances already.

Edited by Organic for days

4 hours ago, chemicalcloud said:

Woohoo!  Got an e-mail today from a potential PI at Oregon State for a Skype interview! :D

Congrats ! Was the word "interview" specifically mentioned in the email ? I also got an email from a PI from oregon state a few days ago asking if there would be a good time for him to call me via phone but I'm not sure whether he's asking for an interview since he didn't mention the word "interview" in the email

1 minute ago, metallocene2015 said:

Congrats ! Was the word "interview" specifically mentioned in the email ? I also got an email from a PI from oregon state a few days ago asking if there would be a good time for him to call me via phone but I'm not sure whether he's asking for an interview since he didn't mention the word "interview" in the email

Thanks!  Congrats to you as well!  Looking back at the e-mail, the word "interview" was not specifically mentioned.  He did mention that he wanted to talk with me to discuss my application in more detail via phone or Skype.  I guess I shouldn't fully assume that it is an interview, but at the very least it is correspondence.  More than I've received from other schools so far, haha.  Definitely sounds like they want to get to know us better! :)  Either way, I would say we should probably prepare for an interview-like conversation, just to be safe.  What discipline are you applying to?

2 hours ago, chemicalcloud said:

Thanks!  Congrats to you as well!  Looking back at the e-mail, the word "interview" was not specifically mentioned.  He did mention that he wanted to talk with me to discuss my application in more detail via phone or Skype.  I guess I shouldn't fully assume that it is an interview, but at the very least it is correspondence.  More than I've received from other schools so far, haha.  Definitely sounds like they want to get to know us better! :)  Either way, I would say we should probably prepare for an interview-like conversation, just to be safe.  What discipline are you applying to?

I am also applying to organic chem ! He said that I have a very strong application and that he would like to hear more about my research- I wrote back with a short summary of my research so far and asked about the research going on in his lab and that's when he asked if he could call me. Not sure about this either but sounds to me like yours has a better of chance of actually being an interview than mine since he didn't say that it was to discuss my application. Which professor is this by the way ? 

9 hours ago, metallocene2015 said:

I am also applying to organic chem ! He said that I have a very strong application and that he would like to hear more about my research- I wrote back with a short summary of my research so far and asked about the research going on in his lab and that's when he asked if he could call me. Not sure about this either but sounds to me like yours has a better of chance of actually being an interview than mine since he didn't say that it was to discuss my application. Which professor is this by the way ? 

Woohoo! Organic!:)  Dr. Paul Blakemore is the professor who contacted me.  I think both of our situations sound equally as promising!  Especially because you said the professor that contacted you was on the admissions committee, correct?  Which professor contacted you?

Edited by chemicalcloud

14 hours ago, chemicalcloud said:

Woohoo! Organic!:)  Dr. Paul Blakemore is the professor who contacted me.  I think both of our situations sound equally as promising!  Especially because you said the professor that contacted you was on the admissions committee, correct?  Which professor contacted you?

Prof.Beaudry contacted me ! I listed him as my first choice on my app- I also listed Blakemore but he didn't contact me. And yes, Prof.Beaudry is on the adcom :) 

Unofficially accepted to UT Austin via email. 

Waiting for MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Northwestern, Yale, Michigan, Purdue, and Colorado. 

GRE: 167 (97%) V/159 (75%) Q/5 (93%) W

GRE Chem: 640 (32%)

GPA: 3.53/4.0, 3.99/4.0 Chem

Double major in chemical engineering and chemistry. 

3 years research experience (R1). 1 poster presentation at a major conference. Publication submission likely this spring. 

Hi everyone! I just found this website and wish I'd found it much earlier. I'm applying for Chemistry with a focus on Biochem/chemical biology. I've already applied to Duke, Penn State, Ohio State, Colorado Boulder and UC Santa Barbara. I'm confused about the following universities - SUNY Stony Brook, Univ of Arizona, Univ of Virginia and Emory. Any advice on these universities - are they good to apply to for a Ph.D.? I'm an international student with really limited research (since my university does NOT encourage it at all because of the hectic curriculum) so I think my chances of getting accepted aren't that great.

Stats -

GRE - 164 V, 165 Q, 5 AW

GPA - around 3.5-4, not sure since my university does not give GPA/grades

13 minutes ago, appchem said:

Hi everyone! I just found this website and wish I'd found it much earlier. I'm applying for Chemistry with a focus on Biochem/chemical biology. I've already applied to Duke, Penn State, Ohio State, Colorado Boulder and UC Santa Barbara. I'm confused about the following universities - SUNY Stony Brook, Univ of Arizona, Univ of Virginia and Emory. Any advice on these universities - are they good to apply to for a Ph.D.? I'm an international student with really limited research (since my university does NOT encourage it at all because of the hectic curriculum) so I think my chances of getting accepted aren't that great.

Stats -

GRE - 164 V, 165 Q, 5 AW

I think you have a decent shot with most of the school you are applying to.

2 hours ago, appchem said:

Stats -

GRE - 164 V, 165 Q, 5 AW

I would apply to at least some of those extra schools just in case--they are respected as being good schools too. As you definitely know, it's harder to get in as an international student, and your lack of research further hurts this. That being said, you will obviously stand out as a very intelligent applicant, even if less experienced, so I'm sure many programs will jump at you too. It's never a bad idea to apply to more tho.

11 hours ago, ChemEnthusiast said:

I think you have a decent shot with most of the school you are applying to.

Thanks! Any advice on Emory, Stony Brook, UVA and Arizona?

9 hours ago, Organic for days said:

I would apply to at least some of those extra schools just in case--they are respected as being good schools too. As you definitely know, it's harder to get in as an international student, and your lack of research further hurts this. That being said, you will obviously stand out as a very intelligent applicant, even if less experienced, so I'm sure many programs will jump at you too. It's never a bad idea to apply to more tho.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. Also, do all these universities set up interviews? 

1 hour ago, appchem said:

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. Also, do all these universities set up interviews? 

I'm not sure, a lot of schools will just plain accept you, but I know that schools are more likely to interview international applicants rather than accept them right away, whether that be over Skype or in person.