Penn GSE 2016

phillyhed

Wanted to start a Penn GSE thread for 2016. Any folks out there planning to apply?

I'm applying for the PhD in Higher Ed. They only have 3 first year PhDs in the division this year so I know the application process is going to be very tough.

Anyone going to the open house event on November 14?

Wanted to start a Penn GSE thread for 2016. Any folks out there planning to apply?

I'm applying for the PhD in Higher Ed. They only have 3 first year PhDs in the division this year so I know the application process is going to be very tough.

Anyone going to the open house event on November 14?

Hi!  Best of luck - that sounds very competitive but I'm sure you're a strong candidate! :)

I'm applying for the Masters program in Higher Education.

I'm looking forward to the event. I've read a bunch of Shaun Harper's stuff but haven't actually met him.

Travelgirl, I got my master's from the HED division almost 15 years ago so the faculty is completely different from my master's degree studies. I wish I could offer some words of wisdom but everything has changed so much since my time there!

What are you hoping to study, MonkeyonMyBack?

Anyone know about the International Education Development Program?  Super competitive? (I read there are only 30 people in the cohort)

I decided today to apply to Penn.  It would be my last choice because I'd rather not move to Philly, but the program seems good.  I like that the application is free and the admissions is ROLLING!  (Sadly my recommenders are going to take another month to write, and I'll be waiting on GRE scores, but I plan to submit before 2016).

I'm going business casual. I'm a weird person to ask though because I basically wear a skirt or a dress every day anyway. 13 years of Catholic school ruined me for picking out outfits! Even after all these years, I'd rather throw on a dress than try to match things!

I just attended an online chat with current students and I feel like I asked every possible question there is to ask about this school!  The students were so helpful and forthcoming, I definitely recommend "attending" one if another pops up and you're free to sit in front of a computer!

Edited by Heather1011

15 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

I just attended an online chat with current students and I feel like I asked every possible question there is to ask about this school!  The students were so helpful and forthcoming, I definitely recommend "attending" one if another pops up and you're free to sit in front of a computer!

What type of information did they give you?

30 minutes ago, KaySsaem said:

What type of information did they give you?

Pretty much any random question I asked, and some program specific opportunities I was unaware of.  I mostly talked to the girl who is in my program, but I read the general admissions questions people were throwing out there---applications are looked at holistically, yada yada yada.  If you have any specific questions that come to mind I can tell you if I learned about them while it's all still fresh in my mind!  

I learned that it varies program by program the availability of assistantships.  For Higher Ed, for example, it's basically guaranteed, but for my program, IEDP, it's very competitive because there aren't as many.  They also put me in contact via email with current students in my program, so that was very helpful.  A big point of discussion were pros and cons of completing in 1 year vs. 1.5.

Edited by Heather1011

Oh shoot! I totally forgot about it! I was hoping to ask some questions to current PhD students. I guess I can try to reach out to folks by email. I really need to be spending time on my SoP though rather than asking people questions!

Hello,

Planning to apply to the PhD programme in Quantitative Methods. Hope to work with Dr. Boruch; he's the only reason I'm applying. I'm interested in the Evaluation of Educational & Social Interventions (in developing countries), and randomized controlled trials.

My background is somewhat off - Information Systems but thankfully, I took three calculus courses and a linear algebra course in my undergrad and have two statistics courses, one each from BS and MS. Hopefully, these help given the statistical component of the programme.

Like everyone else, hope to get in.

Edited by juanmesh
grammar

Heather1011, I read last year's Penn GSE thread and it seems like it took quite a long time for master's apps to get their decisions even though they say that the process is rolling. It may be quicker this year though because the system isn't new this year.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, phillyhed said:

Heather1011, I read last year's Penn GSE thread and it seems like it took quite a long time for master's apps to get their decisions even though they say that the process is rolling. It may be quicker this year though because the system isn't new this year.

Good luck!

Yup, unfortunately, they took months on my application even though the program I had applied to was rolling.  They took a look at all of their PhD applications before looking at their masters' ones.  Maybe this year will be different, but I just wanted to warn you because I was really discouraged last year! :)

Thanks both of you!  I did see that people who had applied in Nov/Dec generally did find out by February, so although that's not a very quick turnaround, it's still over a month sooner than all the other schools I'm applying to :mellow:

21 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Thanks both of you!  I did see that people who had applied in Nov/Dec generally did find out by February, so although that's not a very quick turnaround, it's still over a month sooner than all the other schools I'm applying to :mellow:

This is true...same here!!

Today's the day- PhD apps are due to Penn today!

I have submitted and have heard from my final two recommenders that they will be submitting this morning. I am a nervous wreck and haven't been sleeping for two weeks. Now that the application is submitted, I hope that my anxiety will take a break because I can't be in this heightened state until they contact people about interviews in mid-January!

Good luck to anyone else applying for the doctorate!

On 12/8/2015 at 11:02 PM, phillyhed said:

Today's the day- PhD apps are due to Penn today!

I have submitted and have heard from my final two recommenders that they will be submitting this morning. I am a nervous wreck and haven't been sleeping for two weeks. Now that the application is submitted, I hope that my anxiety will take a break because I can't be in this heightened state until they contact people about interviews in mid-January!

Good luck to anyone else applying for the doctorate!

I feel your pain. Wasn't a "nervous wreck", was actually pretty calm on Tuesday but that's only because I had 3 applications due last week, Dec 1. And in the days just before their deadline, I woke daily with a headache :( that had magically disappeared by the next morning. By Penn's deadline, the storm was past. Actually spent the days and weekend after the Dec 1 gaming even though I'm currently in grad school :). By Penn's deadline, felt pretty good about life, hope you're there soon :) at least until decision period next year. Good luck!

Hallelujah!  My 3rd recommender FINALLY submitted after I sent her several panicked emails B).  Now my application that I submitted before Thanksgiving is finally complete, on December 13.  I was hoping that if it was in by Dec. 1 I'd have a chance of hearing back before February.  I'm still hopeful.  I know from reading some past threads that some people who submitted early November found out before Christmas.  I definitely do not expect that, but maybe end of January is a reasonable prayer? I guess it might vary by program.

Edited by Heather1011

• 3 weeks later...
On 2015. 12. 13. at 5:00 PM, Heather1011 said:

Hallelujah!  My 3rd recommender FINALLY submitted after I sent her several panicked emails B).  Now my application that I submitted before Thanksgiving is finally complete, on December 13.  I was hoping that if it was in by Dec. 1 I'd have a chance of hearing back before February.  I'm still hopeful.  I know from reading some past threads that some people who submitted early November found out before Christmas.  I definitely do not expect that, but maybe end of January is a reasonable prayer? I guess it might vary by program.

I was accepted by Penn GSE on Feb 19th, for 2015 season. official decision was available on Feb 27.

Last year apparently they were a bit delayed, they sent out "we haven't forgotten about you" email on Feb 3

12 hours ago, Counterpointer said:

I was accepted by Penn GSE on Feb 19th, for 2015 season. official decision was available on Feb 27.

Last year apparently they were a bit delayed, they sent out "we haven't forgotten about you" email on Feb 3

When did you submit your app?

Thanks for the info!  Hopefully this year they're running more smoothly.

53 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

When did you submit your app?

Thanks for the info!  Hopefully this year they're running more smoothly.

hi heather, i submitted my app in mid-nov and received an email telling me to check the web site just before christmas. so it looks like this year it's right in the 4-6 week period that they say.