GRE scores

Clino391

I know I can do better on the GRE I currently have a 149 V 152 Q and a 4.5 Writing. Is it even worth retaking them? I am applying to WWU and UM (Montana) and UNLV. None of these schools can give me a clear answer on what a minimum GRE score to get in is. I have a 3.5 GPA, two summers of working for a mine, and a host of classes, including independent research. Will my horrible GRE scores hold me back?

Undergrad Institution: University of Nevada, Reno

Major(s): Geology and Hydrogeology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.3
Position in Class: Doing good not behind not the greatest
Type of Student: Male traditional

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 152
V: 149
W: 4.5
 Not the best and my biggest worry. I test bad and I have troubles concentrating or taking it seriously. Which I know is not good

Research Experience: My own Undergrad thesis on The Mineralogy and Economic potential of a Skarn deposit
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans List 2X

AIPG scholarship winner

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Seismology Lab 3 years

Newmont Intern 1 summer

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

WWU-Metamorphic Petrology

UNLV- Petrology Mineral research

University of Montana- Hyrdogeology, Metamorphic Petrology

I'm not really sure.... I suspect you can get into colleges with that low of a GRE on any given year, but I think it might be more likely that you are going to be rejected or not given funding. This might be especially true if you are applying for a masters degree where funding is much harder to secure even with good stats. 

Even getting 155/155 would greatly help you... I think. Is it possible for you to retake it? 

Edited by GeoDUDE!

Yes it is possible to retake. I was planning on retaking it soon anyways walking out of the test I was hitting my self in the head when I relized I could have solved so many more of the problems. Thank you, I appreciate brutal honesty. 

Yes it is possible to retake. I was planning on retaking it soon anyways walking out of the test I was hitting my self in the head when I relized I could have solved so many more of the problems. Thank you, I appreciate brutal honesty. 

I think what is encouraging is most people do better the second time just on the virtue that they have done it before: I had a friend who took it, did miserable, then didn't study and took it I think a month later (or whatever the minimum is, this was a while ago) and did 15 points better. Your milage may vary, but a significant portion of the test is knowing how to take it.  getting close are beyond 310 won't make you a shoo in: but I think its strong enough that the GRE won't weight you down. And another thing is people rarely get into graduate school because they aced the general GRE, so beyond a certain point its all about your letters and SOP.

Edited by GeoDUDE!

On October 28, 2015 11:55:34 AM, GeoDUDE! said:

I think what is encouraging is most people do better the second time just on the virtue that they have done it before: I had a friend who took it, did miserable, then didn't study and took it I think a month later (or whatever the minimum is, this was a while ago) and did 15 points better. Your milage may vary, but a significant portion of the test is knowing how to take it.  getting close are beyond 310 won't make you a shoo in: but I think its strong enough that the GRE won't weight you down. And another thing is people rarely get into graduate school because they aced the general GRE, so beyond a certain point its all about your letters and SOP.

Thanks!! I'm pretty confident on my letters I have 3 professors and a profession contact from Newmont writing them. Thank again.