Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship

ed2122

I am planning to apply for the 2016 Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship. I am trying to find examples of statements for the application but am not having much success (compared to the NSF GRFP where there are tons of examples to be found). I feel I really need an example for the research proposal statement, because they ask you to cover a lot of points in only two, double-spaced (!) pages. I feel like there's no way I could successfully address everything in so little space, unless I do an extremely superficial job. Can anyone point me to some example essays, or any other application assistance?

P.S. I searched the forums and couldn't find anything about this fellowship except a thread from last year with people waiting to hear back, so if I missed a thread that's already out there, my apologies.

I told my office mates about the 2 double spaced pages requirement and they were like "what??? how is that even possible?" I mean, I assume I can try to pack some background information into the research background statement, but I'm so lost as to how to write anything of substance in basically 500 words. 

If you find any thing useful, please share here! I'll do the same (if I miraculously find something). 

Yup, still on the hunt for more answers but hopefully more people chime in. Its a shame that there isn't much out there for references. Well, worst case scenario we can help each other out in here since it seems like this is the first Ford fellowship post on here (for 2016).  

On 10/29/2015, 2:07:26, ed2122 said:

I told my office mates about the 2 double spaced pages requirement and they were like "what??? how is that even possible?" I mean, I assume I can try to pack some background information into the research background statement, but I'm so lost as to how to write anything of substance in basically 500 words. 

If you find any thing useful, please share here! I'll do the same (if I miraculously find something). 

I'm applying for this fellowship, too.

Yeah, I thought that I had read the rules wrong. Double-spaced? These essays are supposed to be so in-depth about all of the many requirements they have, but also fairly short. These essays should be challenging. 

Hey, question about the application. Under the "list of publications and presentations" for the last five years. I have been out of school (working) in my field for about three years, and so a few of the cool presentations I was a part of as an undergraduate happened more than five years ago. Has anyone else dealt with this (or similar) issues? Did you address it in the essay itself, and just leave it off the list?

1 hour ago, Songbird222 said:

Hey, question about the application. Under the "list of publications and presentations" for the last five years. I have been out of school (working) in my field for about three years, and so a few of the cool presentations I was a part of as an undergraduate happened more than five years ago. Has anyone else dealt with this (or similar) issues? Did you address it in the essay itself, and just leave it off the list?

Since space is limited, I'd say just stick to the presentations that are relevant to your field or if they somehow contribute to promoting diversity.

22 hours ago, japaniia said:

Since space is limited, I'd say just stick to the presentations that are relevant to your field or if they somehow contribute to promoting diversity.

Thanks for the insight. Some of those presentations that happened over 5 years ago were directly related to promoting diversity in my field, so I'm torn. Do I disobey a rule (I keep reading that they are very strict about the rules), or just try to mention it within the essay portion, and leave it out of the list at the end. Hmmmm.

1 hour ago, Songbird222 said:

Thanks for the insight. Some of those presentations that happened over 5 years ago were directly related to promoting diversity in my field, so I'm torn. Do I disobey a rule (I keep reading that they are very strict about the rules), or just try to mention it within the essay portion, and leave it out of the list at the end. Hmmmm.

maybe call them and ask them? 

On November 2, 2015 at 3:27:25 PM, Songbird222 said:

Hi Songbird,

These essays are a pain the You-Know-What because they are so short. I would advise to mention the presentation that gave you a relevant epiphany. It has to be summarized in a sentence or two, it's tricky. If none of them gave you a jolt, then mention how the content or themes are connected to your future research goals. If they are just cool, in general, then leave them out. Instead, use the space to discuss your more recent work or activities pushing towards a PhD. 

Good Luck,

DL

Question about the proposed research statement. I am applying to several PhD programs, and one aspect of the prompt states:

Explanation of why the chosen institution is especially suited to the field of study and the type of study to be undertaken

A previous grantee is reviewing my statement and he said that it is better to write a generic statement since the reviewers might think that I will not conduct the study if I am not accepted to X university. However, my advisor showed me another statement from another grantee and she clearly stated the name of the program and why it is the best suited for her. Any previous grantees (or applicants) have advice on this?

On 11/10/2015, 3:24:27, DivineLavender said:

Hi Songbird,

These essays are a pain the You-Know-What because they are so short. I would advise to mention the presentation that gave you a relevant epiphany. It has to be summarized in a sentence or two, it's tricky. If none of them gave you a jolt, then mention how the content or themes are connected to your future research goals. If they are just cool, in general, then leave them out. Instead, use the space to discuss your more recent work or activities pushing towards a PhD. 

Good Luck,

DL

Thanks for the input. I did what you suggested, and it seems like my story is told in a complete way, so I'm feeling good about that.

6 hours ago, japaniia said:

Did any of you get an email receipt acknowledging that you had applied for the Ford fellowship? I submitted mine two days ago and I never received the automated message I usually get when I apply to things. 

I submitted on Saturday 11/14 and haven't received any kind of e-mail receipt

Hi Everyone,

Final decisions rolls out in March, no? Press on to get the PhD apps over the next couple of weeks!

Japonica, Ford does not send out email receipts acknowledgement messages. Check the "Data Verification" (I think that is the right label) tab to verify your submission. It allows you to track the LORs.

Good Luck to Everyone!

DL

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what this Verification of Eligibility statement supposed to look like (for the supplemental materials)? Is it just a list of future coursework? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what information exactly they are asking for and how to fit it on 1 (double-spaced) page

• 2 weeks later...
On December 17, 2015 at 9:42 AM, firstyearcognition said:

Does anyone know what this Verification of Eligibility statement supposed to look like (for the supplemental materials)? Is it just a list of future coursework? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what information exactly they are asking for and how to fit it on 1 (double-spaced) page

To the applicant: Predoctoral fellowship applicants who are already enrolled in a Ph.D. or Sc.D. program as of the fall semester 2015 must submit this completed and signed form along with a one-page (maximum) statement listing the courses, projects, and plans that will be undertaken if awarded a predoctoral fellowship (for academic years 2016- 2017, 2017-2018, and 2018-2019). The statement should be double-spaced using a 12- point font or larger, and the applicant’s name and “Verification of Eligible Predoctoral Status” must appear at the top of the statement sheet. Applicants should not provide information regarding their financial situation.

Print out this form and submit it along with your one-page statement to your adviser or other university official for signature. Once signed, save the form together with your one- page statement as a single .pdf file and upload it to your fellowship application before the January 8, 2016 supplementary materials deadline. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, DivineLavender said:

Am I the only one sitting on pins and needles? 

I haven't, which is weird.  I guess my expectations are low considering only 60 people get it.  Also, I think not submitting my GRE scores will hurt my chances.