Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship

ed2122

Just now, bposadas said:

Rejected too. ='( Will try again next year!

2 questions for you guys:

- does the Ford provide the reviewers feedback anywhere? I know if you are selected you can access the comments, but will they do that for rejections as well?

-anyone else applying for NPSC? I can't find an active forum for NPSC anywhere and it seems to be the most mysterious of all the fellowships I applied for.

If you request them, they will send you the score. However, no specific feedback was provided, just score-based feedback, but it could be helpful. 

For those of you who got awarded after applying more than once...what changed? what did you do differently? I want to reapply next year and i know i'll have different research experiences and stuff by then but i'm curious to hear about your individual situations. congrats :)

I received the award; this was my third try.  I applied before starting grad school, during my first few months of grad school, and then at the beginning of my second year.  A number of things changed.  First, I changed my research focus.  This was not because of the fellowship, but it may have helped, because this time around, I had a more focused research area grounded in theory as opposed to practice from my prior employment.  Second, the third time around, I had done some preliminary work on my research proposal.  It is possible that they want to see that the study can actually be conducted so that they reward folks that can show that they have begun work on it.  I had access to a proposal by someone that received the Ford a few years ago and he had also already conducted some research on his topic.  Hope this helps and I do encourage you to reapply.  Do not be discouraged. 

1 hour ago, oklagirl said:

Just out of curiosity what were the time stamps on the emails? I haven't received anything yet....

about 2.5 hours ago for alternate. 6:05pm EST.

Edited by socapp14

11 minutes ago, Today12345 said:

I received the award; this was my third try.  I applied before starting grad school, during my first few months of grad school, and then at the beginning of my second year.  A number of things changed.  First, I changed my research focus.  This was not because of the fellowship, but it may have helped, because this time around, I had a more focused research area grounded in theory as opposed to practice from my prior employment.  Second, the third time around, I had done some preliminary work on my research proposal.  It is possible that they want to see that the study can actually be conducted so that they reward folks that can show that they have begun work on it.  I had access to a proposal by someone that received the Ford a few years ago and he had also already conducted some research on his topic.  Hope this helps and I do encourage you to reapply.  Do not be discouraged. 

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. I am currently in my first year so I did feel like I could have been a bit more focused. What field are you in? It's encouraging to read your response. 

7 minutes ago, Ashasaurusrex said:

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. I am currently in my first year so I did feel like I could have been a bit more focused. What field are you in? It's encouraging to read your response. 

I'm in Sociology. 

15 minutes ago, kafcat said:

alternate ...didnt know there would be alternates for the ford. oh well.

Congratulations on being named an alternate! There is such a list; it's almost like a waitlist.  Hopefully, some people decline the offer so that you can be selected.  I know someone that received a fellowship after getting off an alternate list. 

Got the Honorable Mention for the pre-doc e-mail today at 5:09pm Central Time. I'll be applying again next year as a first year grad student. Thanks to those of you who applied more than once who offered information about what changed on your application, that is super helpful!

Edited by EpiGirl2016
to specify pre-doc

1 hour ago, inuendo said:

If you request them, they will send you the score. However, no specific feedback was provided, just score-based feedback, but it could be helpful. 

Can I do that through the application portal or do I email someone?

Just now, bposadas said:

Can I do that through the application portal or do I email someone?

You have to e-mail them. Wait a month or so because right now, they are probably really busy with the notification process. I requested mine last June and they scan them and e-mail them within the next day or two. 

5 hours ago, Today12345 said:

Congratulations on being named an alternate! There is such a list; it's almost like a waitlist.  Hopefully, some people decline the offer so that you can be selected.  I know someone that received a fellowship after getting off an alternate list. 

Thanks! Hoping for the best but for now...just feeling like I did all in my power to get the award and regardless of the outcome, I will keep on trying! No accolade will decide my value or self-worth :)

http://imgur.com/BiRG4IE 

6 hours ago, inuendo said:

No news from the Postdoc? I've been trying to find a thread for the Postdoctoral one but can't find any. 

Postdocs award notifications sent as well. I got mine. Now, I'm going to go pass out for holding my breath for too long. Then I'm going to celebrate. Good luck to the rest of you!

4 hours ago, Lucy B said:

Postdocs award notifications sent as well. I got mine. Now, I'm going to go pass out for holding my breath for too long. Then I'm going to celebrate. Good luck to the rest of you!

I got mine too, 8:20 PM! Yay! Congrats to all the awardees and see y'all at the conference. And for those of you who didn't got it, this was my second time applying, so there is hope. Don't give up! 

I replied to the HM email (and also CCed infofell@nas.edu) yesterday with my name and last 4 digits of SSN and just got a link to my comments back today.

For those who won/scored in the excellent range how did you address the following - especially personal engagement with under-represented groups. I talked a lot about my outreach activities...but that seems not to be what they were looking for?

• Evidence of a capacity to respond to needs of students from diverse backgrounds        
  • Evidence of a sustained personal engagement with groups underrepresented in academe    
  • Evidence of likelihood of using diversity as a resource in teaching and scholarship
Edited by clyra
forgot email address

16 hours ago, inuendo said:

You have to e-mail them. Wait a month or so because right now, they are probably really busy with the notification process. I requested mine last June and they scan them and e-mail them within the next day or two. 

Awesome, thanks!

• 5 weeks later...