EAPSI 2016

Samieru

I replied to my offer, but I did not receive any confirmation email. However, I replied, sending the reply to Elena, and the other two program officers she said to reply to -- even though the original email did not CC them. 

So. I e-mailed them yesterday morning, to ask some questions about the stipend. And they responded pretty quickly to my questions (within the hour). I e-mailed them my acceptance yesterday afternoon, and didn't receive a response.

I feel like they are just waiting for the deadline to pass today, and then sending out a mass e-mail to us all as a whole. But hey, I could be completely wrong.

Yeah, I replied the first time to only Elena and got an automated response that she wasn't going to be back in the office until today.

Then I realized it wasn't cc'd to the other two people, so I resent it but now my message is in the trimmed content part of the email in google.  So I'm slightly unsure if they'll notice my acceptance.

I will have to decline the stipend because of my fellowship.  In the Japan handbook, it suggests that the $5k is typically declined when people already have other sources of NSF funds.

On 2/5/2016 at 7:40 AM, fishfriendsnotfood said:

Hi All- I am also waiting on Japan and just emailed Elena Hillenburg to find out when the orientation weekend will be and she said March 28-29. She also said that tentative acceptances would be sent out by early March, so we probably have a lot more waiting in store. 

Do the March 28-29 dates apply to all programs? Or is that specifically for Japan?

9 minutes ago, GBinAZ said:

Do the March 28-29 dates apply to all programs? Or is that specifically for Japan?

I got the same response about dates, and understood that orientation was for all participants regardless of program location.  Also, it's Monday/Tuesday with return home on Wednesday, so the 28-30 would need to be taken off from class/work if you aren't on spring break that week.  That was my understanding, anyway.

On 2/12/2016 at 2:08 PM, GBinAZ said:

Previous EAPSI person here, all the countries go to the same orientation in DC.  It's necessary, and its also cool to meet everyone your going with, so you can plan stuff.  You'll get your plane ticket about a week before if its like last year. 

On February 15, 2016 at 10:57 PM, GeoDUDE! said:

Previous EAPSI person here, all the countries go to the same orientation in DC.  It's necessary, and its also cool to meet everyone your going with, so you can plan stuff.  You'll get your plane ticket about a week before if its like last year. 

How long did it take between the tentative acceptance and the final acceptance?

All of you who have heard already are so lucky! To think I may have 2 weeks of waiting still to find out...it's almost unbearable at this point. My application wasnt sent for external review til 2/4, so perhaps that's something that contributes to being in a later group. (If I even make it!)

Good luck to everyone else in a similar situation. Don't drive yourselves too crazy!! :P

24 minutes ago, GBinAZ said:

Is it just me? Or was everyone else hoping that they would send out another round of acceptances today?  One week later... makes sense, right?

And all I got was another day of anxious waiting. Good luck everyone.

I was hoping so too. Plus I figure if they give you 48 hrs to reply, then Wed to Fri makes sense....man I am definitely anxious as well. 

23 minutes ago, GBinAZ said:

Is it just me? Or was everyone else hoping that they would send out another round of acceptances today?  One week later... makes sense, right?

And all I got was another day of anxious waiting. Good luck everyone.

Yup, I was hoping for today too.  I jump daily between job hunting for the summer and thinking about my planned project.  Even more agonizing because I graduated in December and haven't taken other jobs while I wait because I REALLY want to do my planned research in Japan.  My local sponsor/advisor is really excited too, I'm dreading having to tell him if I don't get it. 

Sooooooo glad to hear I'm not alone! I wish we would all just get accepted already. :)

I re-read the email and they say not to take a delay as any sort of indication, but it's hard not to. Trying to put it all behind me until the second week of March but it's near impossible!

Two of my classmates got into this program and they seemed to think it wasnt so bad to get accepted into. I don't feel so optimistic at this point. :/

I hope we hear something soon!

I'm in the same boat as you who have yet to hear back...it's killing me. Apparently my eternal review started January 5th, which only makes me feel even worse. 

For those who have gotten accepted, what areas of study are you from? I'm thinking maybe they are going through applications based on area of study...but who knows. 

Edited by sal_dali